PDA

View Full Version : Lift input needed

RockRunner
12-28-2006, 12:47 PM
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on getting my lift. I am comparing two different companies, Marlin and All-Pro Off Road. Prices are within a few dollars of each other. Problem with Marlin is everytime I call there is nobody to answer, very annoying. All Pro answer the phone but during an online chat one of their sales man really tore into Trail gear and Marlin. I don't care for that, he could have compared the products but instead attacked the people.

I am looking at getting the complete kit from either one. I am thinking 4" up front and 5" in rear to level the 4runner. Then a 1-2" body lift, suggested to me, to raise the tank etc. Both say they use US springs, the All Pro kit offers Johny joints for the rear as a $90 upgrade and 5150 Bilstein for $80 upgrade, not sure if I need 5150's but???

Does anybody have either one of these kits? Any expierence with them or the companies? Any other lifts that I MUST look at first??? Give me your input, I need to decide soon, I already missed the Snow run deadline to be ready with my lift so...........

So here we are, MArlin vs. All Pro................and the winner is :confused:

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/suspension/lift_kit.htm

http://www.allprooffroad.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=54

IanB
12-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Marlin is a stand up company (and guy) and has supported the Toyota 4x4 community for years.

RockRunner
12-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Marlin is a stand up company (and guy) and has supported the Toyota 4x4 community for years.

Thanks, I know that but if I can not get a hold of them on the phone for two days, they are open, then I can not get the info I need. I send an email and was told to send another email when I want to call them. Tried that no reply for two days.

I do like the Marlin stuff and he has been there from the start, designed most of the stuff that others are selling now, i.e. Trail-Gear :(

gcmandrake
12-28-2006, 03:39 PM
I was about to ask if you had looked at Advanced Off-Road Research, but I checked and they appear to have dropped off the web. At little more checking indicated that they have licensed their technology to Alcan Spring (http://www.alcanspring.com/) (who apparently built the orbit-eyes for them). I'm still really happy with the articulation of my 4Runner.

the Other Matt

nuclearlemon
12-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks, I know that but if I can not get a hold of them on the phone for two days, they are open, then I can not get the info I need. I send an email and was told to send another email when I want to call them. Tried that no reply for two days.

I do like the Marlin stuff and he has been there from the start, designed most of the stuff that others are selling now, i.e. Trail-Gear :(
at least you can get an email to them....i was getting notices saying their emails weren't set up when i tried a while ago.

they are impossible to get ahold of.:(

RockRunner
12-28-2006, 03:59 PM
I was about to ask if you had looked at Advanced Off-Road Research, but I checked and they appear to have dropped off the web. At little more checking indicated that they have licensed their technology to Alcan Spring (http://www.alcanspring.com/) (who apparently built the orbit-eyes for them). I'm still really happy with the articulation of my 4Runner.

the Other Matt

Thanks for the info, I looked at Alcan but they only provide the springs. I want to get all of the stuff in one shot. Makes it a little easier:cheers:

RockRunner
12-28-2006, 03:59 PM
at least you can get an email to them....i was getting notices saying their emails weren't set up when i tried a while ago.

they are impossible to get ahold of.:(

I hear you, I want to spend my money with them but.................a call back would be nice.

Three Wheel Ben
12-28-2006, 07:23 PM
If you haven't already, log into the forums off of marlins web site and send a pm to Chris Geiger or post up on the marlin/customer svc thread. He is usually very good about responding. I also vote marlin, he sends me an xmas card every year.

RockRunner
12-28-2006, 08:34 PM
I thought Chris Ceiger was Trail -Gear now??? II thought he used to work there but then left for his own company, I could be wrong but.......

I do like Marlin's stuff but making contact with a company should not be that hard.

Red_Chili
12-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Chris is no longer at Marlin. The reason that A-P tore into Marlin and then Trail-Gear is Chris, who left A-P for Marlin, then did the same and formed Trail-Gear. All soap opera.

Marlin is stand up. But really, shopping springs (if you stay stock length in front and +9" longer in the rear) from Alcan is no big deal, Alcan makes incrementally better springs. Get the rest from Marlin IMHO. Even if you have to wait a bit.

But A-P will do you fine. Just realize their springs give more lift (sometimes inches more) than advertised.

gcmandrake
12-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Just one more thought: Check with Off Road Solutions (http://www.offroadsolutions.com/). They installed my lift and they had most of the components available.

the Other Matt

Vic stuff
12-29-2006, 03:45 PM
marlin has excellent cust service compared to all pro, IMHO. although i dont currently run any of their springs on my runner, lol. I run the 56" all pro rears Awesome flex and alcans int he fornt but they are stock length lift springs and dont flex near as good as my rears. I plan on running the longtravel marlins in the front, eventually. I've "heard" alcan is like 3 months out on ordering springs through them. Marlin is tough to get a hold of but once you do, i dont think you will be sorry. remember right now is their "busy" time with people doing their off season build ups too, i just tried to call em yesterday to order and couldnt even get thru like 10 times that i called, but i will still throw them my business over all pro after some customer service issues with all pro that i wont get into here.

RockRunner
12-29-2006, 04:24 PM
All right guys you all convinced me, MARLIN it is!!!!!!! I was leaning that way anyway but just needed a push. This truck is not going to be a buggy killer or anything like that but I do want to be able to handle just about anything Moab or ???? can throw at me.

Plan is to run 37's eventually and after talking to many folks I should be able to do that with a Marlin 4" frt and 5" rear plus a 1-2" body lift. Fenders will be cut, that should take care of most of the problems. I thought about 5/5" but like for the 4runner to sit level. Plus once I get the rear bumper build and the dogs in the back I will need that extra inch.

Thanks to all that replied, I feel very comfortable ordering the lift from them.

NOW who wants to help me install it???? I know I will need another set of eyes:rolleyes: I will even provide some real green chilli and beer of choice :cheers:

Vic stuff
12-29-2006, 05:50 PM
post up when ur ready i might be able to come help ya out!

RockRunner
12-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Will do, I am ordering my lift tomorrow if they answer the phone. Should be here in a week or two, that is if the snow storms stay away.

I will let you know when I can put it all together.