PDA

View Full Version : resurrecting old laptop

Beater
12-30-2006, 08:47 AM
team -
I am trying to bring an old pc laptop back to life. I don't suppose anyone would like to donate a copy of windows 2k to the cause? It doesn't have enough processor to run xp or I would do it.

It's going to be my studio/shop machine so it doesn't need to be a whiz-bang unit.

Let me know if you can assist... Will trade svcs or small sculpture if needed.

IanB
12-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Do you have Windows specific software you need to run on it? If not load Fedora (Linux), its free, more stable, and will run on almost anything quite well. Much less of a memory and cpu hog.

Beater
12-30-2006, 09:11 AM
I'm a network dude not a code geek....

seriously, linux intimidates me. I need the machine to network to my windows network, and use some cad functionality and java apps as well as some media functionality. Streaming from the network et al.

probably better to stick with windows for me..

j

Hulk
12-30-2006, 11:07 AM
John, I can probably dig up a copy of Win2000. I'm down south though, NW of Park Meadows Mall.

Beater
12-30-2006, 11:44 AM
np.. I am down that way often as the inlaws are in lonetree

j

RockRunner
12-30-2006, 01:04 PM
team -
I am trying to bring an old pc laptop back to life. I don't suppose anyone would like to donate a copy of windows 2k to the cause? It doesn't have enough processor to run xp or I would do it.

It's going to be my studio/shop machine so it doesn't need to be a whiz-bang unit.

Let me know if you can assist... Will trade svcs or small sculpture if needed.

Give me a call I may be able to help you out, I have a bunch of extra stuff here, Mem and old laptops. Also W2k or XP or Vista.

Call 303-829-0703 Tom

Hants
12-31-2006, 09:30 AM
John, if you can't find it up in Denver, let me know. I have a big box of old software, and I'm pretty sure I have Win2KPro in there somewhere.

I'm down in the Springs.

Myredyota
12-31-2006, 10:43 AM
I have a copy if things don't work out. I also have Office 2000.

leiniesred
01-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Words from 1 network engineer to 1 network dude.

Puppy linux (seamonkey). 83MB. Bootable from USB thumb drive or CD-ROM. No hard disk drive required! Has almost everything you need and it just plain works.
http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1

Ubuntu is the most flexible, most "it just works," and complete distro I have used.
I'm running Ubuntu on a G3 macintosh and a PIII800 laptop. The wi-fi works and everything on both rigs.

If you are a network dude, it is the right time to get into Linux. First of all, the distros are really good now. The installers are excellent at auto detecting hardware and the GUI's are better than ever. Second of all, more and more network gear runs on linux (usually freeBSD) WebMux and Kemp load blancers, firewalls, iscsi servers, and VMWare servers are good examples of places I use linux in our, "all windoze shop." Might as well start learning how things work now.

I'll bring a puppy linux thumb drive and CD-ROM if you want to try it out at the meeting tomorrow.

Hulk
01-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Why use Puppy if Ubuntu is most complete?

I'm going to do this to an old PIII that I have, once I get my new NAS set up.

Beater
01-03-2007, 06:50 AM
if someone could hook up a windows disc for the meeting, that would be cool. I will bring compensation with me.... :beer:

oh, and for the record, let me clarify, I work in wans, not lans. I mostly work on the ip side, but fortunately or unfortunately, still do quite a bit of frame and atm.