PDA

View Full Version : Need updates on Yankee Hill snow conditions

JadeRunner
01-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Did you guys do a run there today? How did it go? Were you able to bust open the trail a ways?

I see Ric was there on the 31st and only got about 1\4 mile up the road. Not sure if they took the bottom section from the parking lot or not.
http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=102969

treerootCO
01-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Pics to come, just got back. Simply amazing.

treerootCO
01-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Made it about a mile in. (why did it link those? Wes:confused: ....)

JadeRunner
01-01-2007, 10:44 PM
I can link one picture correctly, but multiple pictures come out as links like yours. Sweet snow pictures.

So did you complete the first section from the parking lot to the main road intersection (near York Gulch, where we turn right)?

Uncle Ben
01-01-2007, 11:02 PM
I can link one picture correctly, but multiple pictures come out as links like yours. Sweet snow pictures.

So did you complete the first section from the parking lot to the main road intersection (near York Gulch, where we turn right)?

Nope! Finally gave up on the road about 100 yards from the "Y." If you look at the last pic link where you see Wild Rice turnin' and burning....notice the fence posts. I made it about 150 yards past that picture and the fence post were barely sticking out of the snow....sheared the pins and studs off the RF hub. My truck chained 37" Pitbulls look pretty tiny compared to the sides of the ruts! :eek: :thumb:

bh4rnnr
01-02-2007, 04:03 AM
Man, looks like a lot of fun. Awesome to see all that snow on Yankee. Should be a fund Snow Pizza run this year:cool: . My Dad just sent some pics of the cabin, just awesome.

J Kimmel
01-02-2007, 08:09 AM
wow! looks like it might be more fun in a snowmobile!

no back window in my truck but I think I may round up a trailer and go :)

Romer
01-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Looks like fun, sorry I missed it. We were out till 1AM and I didn't FEEL like getting up early :D

JadeRunner
01-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Nope! Finally gave up on the road about 100 yards from the "Y." If you look at the last pic link where you see Wild Rice turnin' and burning....notice the fence posts. I made it about 150 yards past that picture and the fence post were barely sticking out of the snow....sheared the pins and studs off the RF hub. My truck chained 37" Pitbulls look pretty tiny compared to the sides of the ruts! :eek: :thumb:

Darn, I don't think we will get passed Wild Rice's tracks. Especially a week later when the snow gets more crusty.

This could get ugly for a large group of rigs. Perhaps if we by-passed this section? I think that's what Ric's group did. I try to get more details from him.

subzali
01-02-2007, 09:42 AM
That's a lot of snow.

MDH33
01-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Wow!:eek: That's deep. Wondering if my skinny 31's are going to be enough? I guess if I'm at the rear of the group the rigs with bigger tires can maybe break through. It's supposed to be warmer all week, so the snow should settle down a bit.

Uncle Ben
01-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Darn, I don't think we will get passed Wild Rice's tracks. Especially a week later when the snow gets more crusty.

This could get ugly for a large group of rigs. Perhaps if we by-passed this section? I think that's what Ric's group did. I try to get more details from him.

Scott,
I think thats you're best choice! If you continue North on the road from the cemetary instead of taking the left cutoff you will still have enough snow to make for a very long day. Treeroot and Brendon made furthest track on that road and worked hard for every foot! Heck, the parking area was a lot of fun after unloading! With this week of warmer weather and sun the snow might shrink and pack which will be good! Not only were we in 30" - 4' deep snow the entire time but it was dry powder with solid layer of ice under it. Good time for sure! If the winds come in the drifts up there will be insane! :bowdown:

wesintl
01-02-2007, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=treerootCO;23599]Made it about a mile in. (why did it link those? Wes:confused: ....)

Hum... I'll have to find out, most likely something in the upgrade:(

Looks like a fun time in the snow otherwise.:thumb:

JadeRunner
01-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Ric tells me they took the by-pass and had a jeep on 37's breaking trail and were only able to make it 200 yards in deep snow over hard ice past the top intersection. Sounds like perhaps Treeroot made it further up their tracks?

So it looks like we probably won't get very far breaking trail, and it would require the larger rigs to do that. That's ok and would be fun following their tracks. But, it changes the whole complexion of the run.

A large group would be a concern. In terms of trying to get everyone turned around on a trail like this. And stock vehicles may not have fun. Clearance, tires and\or chains will be key.

Beater
01-02-2007, 01:41 PM
wow... I don't think I am going to get far, no chains...

SROR/AKA 2BAD
01-02-2007, 01:55 PM
looks like fun to me :thumb:

gonna try to make it :hill:

treerootCO
01-02-2007, 06:01 PM
I went down the bypass road to the right of the turnoff all the way to the turn around past the campground. I have pics, let me find one for you.

Turnaround on the road to the right.

I am dragging my ass with 37s but as long as you have a capable rig up front, you should be fine. Allow for turnarounds though, there is no was you could get 30+ rigs turned around on the trail.

The numbered route in the one pic is the road I was calling the left route. UB is running 37s and the snow is about 40" at the turnoff. We went about mile up this road and it never let up, only got deeper. At one point Robbie was pushing through snow that was over 4' deep and it wasn't a drift!

wesintl
01-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Word.. WR and ROOT kicking some a$$. Those are some Great pics!

treerootCO
01-02-2007, 09:22 PM
and Robbie ;)

http://www.root45.com/upload/DSCF3715.JPG

Need more?

http://www.root45.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=47124 :)

These are compressed 50% by size and 75% JPEG resolution. If you would like a full rez, let me know.

Full resolution pics are 12MP, 4256x2848, and about 4.5MB.

Hulk
01-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Submit some to the TLCA Picture of the Week:
http://tlca.org/pow/index.shtml

I know the webmaster...

Hulk
01-03-2007, 01:24 AM
I have about 3 months worth of pics in the can, ready to be posted. But I can always bump back some of these for season-appropriate pics. Look at the newest one that just went up today!

treerootCO
01-03-2007, 01:26 AM
All my high rez ones are at home. I'll send you an email shortly after 6:00am tomorrow

Red_Chili
01-03-2007, 07:49 AM
There is interest in movies on the Adventure Rider motorcycle board, where I offered for us to bust snow on Guanella. There is some serious rethinking from those who initially did not want anyone to bust snow for the Elephant Ride.

I guess they want to go further than two feet into the snow!:lmao: :rolleyes:

So... got flix?

treerootCO
01-03-2007, 06:57 PM
6:00am 6:00pm? :o You have email Matt.