PDA

View Full Version : Triple Bypass 2007

Bruce Miller
01-03-2007, 08:45 AM
The 2007 Triple Bypass run is tentatively scheduled for August 18th this year. That could change due to snow conditions and we'll update as the trip date nears.

This is our 8th annual trip. The run begins at the Dorchester Campground at the north end of Taylor Park, over Italian Creek Pass into Crested Butte, over Pearl Pass into Ashcroft, then over Taylor Pass and back to the Dorchester Campground. This trip includes over 50 miles of 4 wheel drive travel and is run at a fast pace. Departure time from Dorchester is 8:00 AM. A stock cruiser in good mechanical condition with a competent driver will make this trip just fine.

wesintl
01-03-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm looking forward to this one. Hopefully we can do the DTBP again too!

Three Wheel Ben
01-03-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm looking forward to this one. Hopefully we can do the DTBP again too!

X2:thumb:

Klunky Chris
01-30-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm looking forward to this one. Hopefully we can do the DTBP again too!X2:thumb:
X3!!!

CEDIA isn't in Denver this year so i won't be out there for work (where's the emoticon for complete and utter despair???)
I'm seriously considering flying out FOR the run though! :D

we'll see when it gets closer and you guys nail down a permenant date

wild turkee
02-13-2007, 07:57 AM
im going to try to make it...Sam:D

Romer
03-08-2007, 07:10 PM
well see if the Romer Caravan can make this one.

Rock Dog
05-16-2007, 11:49 PM
What about a squeaky 4runner with a questionably competent driver and a can do attitude ?

Klunky Chris
06-10-2007, 04:06 PM
X3!!!

CEDIA isn't in Denver this year so i won't be out there for work (where's the emoticon for complete and utter despair???)
I'm seriously considering flying out FOR the run though! :D

we'll see when it gets closer and you guys nail down a permenant date

Hey guys, any update on the dates for the run?

I was totally wrong about CEDIA... it IS in Denver again this year, but not during the run.

CEDIA dates are Sept 5th - 9th

Still considering coming out special for the run so updated itinerary would be helpfull!

Hope everyone is well! My 40 just got back from the Outer Banks on a beach trip! (7 hrs each way.... with earplugs!)

sorry for the huge pics, but I couldn't get the smaller or they started looking real bad :o

Bruce Miller
06-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Called my Crested Butte contact this afternoon to get current road conditions on Pearl Pass. Her guess is the pass will be closed due to snow for another month. At 12,705 feet in elevation, Pearl is typically the last one of the three passes to be clear of snow. From what information I was able to gather today, all three passes, Pearl, Taylor, and Italian Creek Passes are currently closed due to snow. Once Pearl is free of snow, we should be good to go.

Romer
07-20-2007, 07:46 PM
We still looking at August 18th?

acon40
07-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Love the pics of OBX....that was my old stomping grounds. x2 with romer....what dates are we going with so I can request off.

Bruce Miller
07-21-2007, 05:44 PM
The 8th annual 2007 Triple Bypass trail ride will take place on Saturday, August 18th. The meeting place/camping spot is Dorchester Campground at the north end of Taylor Park and Taylor Reservoir.

We will leave Dorchester at 8:00AM on Saturday the 18th and drive Italian Creek Pass then Pearl Pass then Taylor Pass.

The bushducks web site says that as of June 30th there was still some snow on the road at the top of Pearl Pass and that Taylor Pass is open. I called my contact in Crested Butte and was told that Pearl Pass is now open. Since my contact didn't actually travel the entire length of Pearl Pass, this info is second hand. But with all the hot weather we've been having, and with four more weeks of hot weather, the 18th of August seems to be a good date.

See you on Saturday, August 18th at the Dorchester Campground at 8:00AM.

Who's going so we know who to look out for as we line up the trucks?

MDH33
07-21-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm hoping to be there again this year. Looking forward to it. :thumb:

Romer
07-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Potentially the Romer Carvan of two 80's and a 4runner

Thanks for leading Bruce

acon40
07-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Just requested time off. Is anyone leaving from the Louisville are where maybe I can follow you up? I will be in my own rig, but I don't know how or where this is. Per post, my stock 95 (locked) 80 should be fine, correct?

Bruce Miller
07-22-2007, 11:13 AM
We will be leaving Longmont on Friday, August 17th, at about 8:00AM, although we can leave at anytime. We figured that leaving at 8:00AM would put us at the end of rush hour traffic. That would put us at Dorchester Campground at about noon to 1:00PM. You are welcome to join us.

The route we typically take is I-25 south to I-76 west to I-70 west to C470 getting off at the Fairplay/Highway 285 exit. Then Highway 285 to Buena Vista, turning north on Highway 24 and driving into downtown Buena Vista where we pick up the highway over Cottonwood Pass (elevation 12,126'). This road turns to dirt at the top of the pass then dead ends at Taylor Reservoir where we turn right and drive about 10 miles, or so, to Dorchester Campground. It's very well marked.

If you will be joining us, please let us know which on ramp on I-25 you will be on and we'll get off the Interstate there and hook up with you.

acon40
07-22-2007, 11:33 AM
I forget the number, but it's where 7 & 25 meet.

nuclearlemon
07-22-2007, 11:40 AM
i hope to be there, but also trying to get the raffle rig to a car show that saturday....

Tch2fly
07-24-2007, 08:17 AM
I will be there.

How many are going up on Friday? I may plan on a midday departure going solo. If anybody else can't/doesn't want to leave with the 8am group let me know.
I'll be hauling my trailer so you FJ40 guys are welcome to caravan with me ;)

Romer
07-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Bruce,
I plan on bringing my camper to Dorchester campground. Are their any "facilities" or do I need to get a portapotty for the girls?

Uncle Ben
07-24-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm still planning on making this one. Actually seems like a great Roof Top Tent run! :thumb:

Bruce Miller
07-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Dorchester Campground has a modern outhouse centrally located in the campground plus an additional two older style outhouses, one at each end of the campground. They have bear proof dumpsters next to the modern outhouse. They used to have a hand pump water well but last year it was plugged. Probably part of the fed's inability to manage their budget. We pay the price for their ineptness. Each campsite also has a fire pit but we will have to pack in our own firewood. There are acres of primitive camping just north of the campground and we've done that years ago. Some of the campers, though, prefer to be close to the outhouse. That's why we stay in the campground.

We will be leaving the Highway 7 and Interstate 25 interchange at 8:00 AM on Friday, August 17th.

We may have more diesels than 40's on this run.

You really going to make it this year, Kevin?

Romer
07-24-2007, 11:37 AM
do we need to reserve camp spots or just show up?

Bruce Miller
07-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Just show up. The BLM web site I visited said reservations are not taken for Dorchester. There are 10 campsites at $10 per night. The campground elevation is 9,800 feet and it gets cold at night. Bring a jacket.

Dorchester hasn't been fully occupied in past years. Plus, we usually share the campsites, or at least we fill in the space between campsites with tents, etc.

It's a really cool campground. There is also an antique Forest Service log cabin at the campground that is staffed by a volunteer couple. We visited with them last year. The cabin interior is really cool, pot belly stove and all.

Hope this helps.

sno bored
07-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I had a great time last year, but I can't make it this year. One of my Irish cousins is traveling around the states with his family. They are going to be in Summit County that weekend.

MDH33
07-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Here's the trip report from last year if anyone wants to see some pics:

2006 TBP (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2107)

Definately bring your jackets, as Bruce mentioned. We had some snow and very frosty mornings up there. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
07-24-2007, 04:12 PM
You really going to make it this year, Kevin?

Planning on it....depends on how Lori's doing. She is scheduled for shoulder surgery on July 31st.

Klunky Chris
07-25-2007, 02:58 PM
....well, doesn't look like I'm going to make the flight out this year..... boooooo....
Unless something comes up cheap last minute, and I can get off work.....

anyway, not that this is the right thread, but I'm out there for CEDIA again this year Tue Sept 4th - Friday the 7th.

I would LOVE to come out early or stay late if anyone would be interested in making a run into the mountains :D

wesintl
07-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Bummer Kris. Someone will probably stage a run that weekend. It should still be nice. Maybe we could do a red cone run..

BTW> TBP I'm in, DTBP I'm in.

nuclearlemon
07-26-2007, 02:07 PM
while everyone's prepping for this, please take a moment to write a few comments about the area for cohvco...

Scholfield pass ,Kebler pass, Taylor pass ,Pearl pass ,Cement creek, Taylor reservoir, Tincup pass are all in Gunnison National Forest .
Montrose east to the Continental Divide north to Independence pass and south to Rio Grand national Forest.

"The comments deadline is approaching on the Gunnison NF travel
management implementation. COHVCO is compiling information for the
comments but we have very little info on 4WD trails within the Gunnison
NF. Does anyone have trail info, or know someone that has trail info or
history on a trail, trails, or anything 4WD related for the Gunnison NF
that can help add to the COHVCO comment response and argument for
keeping as many miles of trails open? If you do, please contact me!

Thanks,

Valerie Douglas
303-847-4993"

Bruce Miller
07-27-2007, 10:05 AM
I just spoke with Valerie. My letter is on its way to her.

acon40
08-03-2007, 01:48 AM
Hey guys, i need to pull out. With the recent drop off at Charlies and the condition of my front end, I would rather not risk a issue and slow the day down.......

Bruce Miller
08-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Here’s directions to the Dorchester Campground, our starting and ending point on the Triple Bypass trip. We will leave Dorchester at 8:00 AM, Saturday morning the 18th of August.

Drive Interstate 70 west to the C470 exit. Take C470 to the Fairplay/Highway 285 exit and drive south on Highway 285 to the Buena Vista turnoff. At that turnoff, you turn right or north on Highway 24 and drive into town. Get in the left lane. Turn left at Highway 306, the road over Cottonwood Pass. The road is well marked with a sign that says “Cottonwood Pass Open”. The road becomes dirt at the top of Cottonwood Pass and the road number becomes Forest Service road #209. Drive this road until it dead ends at Forest Service road #742. Turn right on road #742 and drive about 10.5 miles to the Dorchester Campground. It will be on your left. It’s well marked.

Dorchester is at 9,800 feet elevation. The evenings get cold. Bring a jacket and bring firewood if you want a fire in camp. There are 10 campsites at $10 per night.

Because we will be driving 54 four wheel drive miles total on this trip, the pace will be fast. We will drive Italian Creek Pass then Pearl Pass then Taylor Pass, in that order. It is important that we make it over Pearl Pass by noon, mainly due to lightning. We will have lunch in Ashcroft at the base of Pearl on the east side.

As the trip date gets closer, please keep us informed about your plans to either make this trip or to cancel out. We would like to know who we should be looking for at Dorchester either Friday evening or early Saturday morning.

Jethro
08-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Bruce,
It looks like I will be able to go!

MDH33
08-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Bruce, I am having to bail on this trip. The Jenny Creek Kiosk needs volunteers for the weekend following the TBP and my wife won't tolerate me being gone three weekends in a row... Rally, TBP, Jenny Creek. Thanks again, I had a great time last year.

Uncle Ben
08-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Bruce, I am having to bail on this trip. The Jenny Creek Kiosk needs volunteers for the weekend following the TBP and my wife won't tolerate me being gone three weekends in a row... Rally, TBP, Jenny Creek. Thanks again, I had a great time last year.

Bruce and Barb,
I am in the same boat as Martin, sorta. I should go to Greeley on the 17th and 18th and help my brother sell my Moms stuff at a garage sale. Following week I'm headed to Fla to my other brothers wedding and of course this week is the Rally. Sometime in the next couple weeks I need to commit some time at Jenny Creek. I'm sorry, I'm already jonesin', I miss you guys....have fun!

Romer
08-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Bruce,
Will give you a firm answer in the next day or so.

If I decide to drive up that morning, what time would you estimate the run will be over Saturday in case I/we need to be home on Sunday.

Working between school starting and other activities.

Thanks

farnhamstj
08-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Farnhams family is in for sure. I may bring my friend Scott with red '80 pick-up. We may arrive thurday pm.

Bruce Miller
08-14-2007, 10:29 AM
We will leave Dorchester Campground at 8:00AM sharp on Saturday morning. If all goes as planned, we should arrive back at the campground at 6:00 PM Saturday.

Romer
08-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Bruce, the Romer's won't be able to make it this year. I hope you do this again next year.

Tch2fly
08-15-2007, 07:04 PM
I will be there on Friday, I don't think I can make your caravan but should only be an hour or so behind.

Bruce Miller
08-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Here's the group list as we see it Thursday morning. Please let us know if you are not going this year. And, yes, Ken, we do the TBP every year. This is our 8th consecutive year. The list is:
Wild Turkee (Sam)
lexusben
wes
Ige
tchfly (Mike)
jethro
farnham & friend
Remember, due to the 54 miles of 4 wheel driving, the TBP is a very fast paced trail ride. There's not much time for anything other than driving. Even at this rate, we typically return to the campground about 6:00PM Saturday evening.

Let us know of any additions or deletions from the list.

Romer
08-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Ige told me she is doing the car show on Saturday

Bruce Miller
08-16-2007, 10:44 AM
OK, I'll take Ige off the list.

After about 5:00PM this afternoon we're out of touch of the forum. We leave for Dorchester Campground Friday, tomorrow, morning at 8:00AM. At 8:00AM sharp Saturday morning, we will begin driving the TBP.

Latecomers, if any, should begin driving the Italian Creek Pass road. You will probably catch up with the group at the rock ledge obstacle on the west side of Italian Creek. Let me know if you need directions or F.S. road #'s.

Romer, hope to see you and your family next year. This is a fun trip through some very spectacular country.

Bruce Miller
08-19-2007, 04:06 PM
We had a great TBP trip with probably the best weather of any TBP.

We want to apologize for not seeing everyone out of the campground Sunday morning. We kind of packed up and took off. We usually make the rounds and say goodbye to all participants.

Thank you all for joining us on this trip. We had a great time and hope to wheel with you again.

We promise to work on our manners.

Bruce & Barbara

wesintl
08-19-2007, 06:03 PM
My apologies for not thanking you for yet another great run before I bugged out.
No one passed me so maybe I'm a tad quicker on the pavement than I sometime realize. Next year I'll have to stay the 2 nights. This is my favorite club run. It was nice to see old and new folks. I'll try and post of some of my pics here soon.

Jethro
08-19-2007, 08:51 PM
I also bugged out pretty fast on the trip home. Many, many thanks to the Millers, who not only led a 65 mile trail run but then fixed another fantastic dinner for all those who wanted some.

Here's a picture of Farnham's 100 on Pearl Pass. Note strategic placement of dirt diaper.