PDA

View Full Version : Got A Little Issue Here

DaveInDenver
01-03-2007, 01:27 PM
I was just driving along...

http://www.armbrusterweb.com/files/page0_blog_entry92_1.jpg

OK, yeah, it's been giving me the warning rattle for a while now. But I just put the chain, gears and DOA metal backed guides in 50K miles ago, so I just figured the noise was regular 22R valves-in-need-of-adjustment chatter.

Hulk
01-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Yikes! How much damage did you do?

Hulk
01-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Maybe you can find a junkyard engine to run for a few months while you take the time to rebuild your engine. Hate to see you sell off your nice diffs to fund an engine rebuild. It's like that O'Henry story.

Myredyota
01-04-2007, 01:04 AM
If those were 4.88's, I would be very interested! They would be perfect for my truck.

powderpig
01-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Dave the 22re is not a interference fit engine. As long as you have not damage the front of the engine that much(timing cover and head, etc), you should be OK. But one way to see is to rotate the cam and see if any valves stick. The valves should move freely. You could also estimate where the pistons are and do a cylinder leak down test or even just regulate air at 40-50 psi to see if the valves are sealing. Be sure to hold the crank so it does not move.
Just some thoughts on how to see if it is all OK. later Robbie

RockRunner
01-04-2007, 10:26 PM
If those were 4.88's, I would be very interested! They would be perfect for my truck.

There are some on Graigslist. Look in the daily post i put it up.

Red_Chili
01-05-2007, 07:24 AM
www.engnbldr.com for ultra high quality 22RE parts at very good prices. Talk to Ted, or his son. You'll need a timing kit at least. And here's to nothing else needed!!! :cheers:

BTW, he has new head castings, oversize (but not TOO big) stainless valves, good cams, and can help you build a 130-140HP 22RE on the cheap.

Don't cannibalize your ride!