PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Moab runs

corsair23
01-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Looking for advice from those that have been on what trails noobs (to CM that is) should sign up for :hill:

I will be driving the LX450 more than likely
MAY have sliders on by then but doubtful much else
Tires are 285 Toyo MTs with siped centers

Family will be along (wife, two daughters, and possibly sister-in-law)

So...I don't want to get stuck on a dirt road trail while at the same time I don't want to get on something that will scare the bejeezers out of the family and ruin the trip for them (ie real high ledges, severe angles, etc). I always would like to keep potential trail damage to a minimum...

I have been to Moab once (took the sister-in-laws stock Jeep with nearly bald tires :hill:) and back then I ran Poison Spider with a buddy. I don't know how far we made it other than we drove a semi ledge and then up a step/slope plus a little further. As I remeber that trail was fun.

Any suggestions from those that have "BTDT" would be greatly appreciated. I read the trail description from the CM07 page but that really doesn't help nor does the rating...Sometime the trail rating is based off just an obstacle or two...

farnhamstj
01-03-2007, 03:37 PM
Elephant hill my all time favorite "family" run. My Wife actually enjoys wheeling after that run. Hells revenge, because it;s a clasic and will scare you "a little" will push mom's comfort but at the end of the day she'll tell you she enjoyed it. Metal Masher if you get the sliders.

Hulk
01-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Fins & Things is always fun. Steel Bender is a lot of fun too. If you're locked, you could do Golden Spike.

wesintl
01-03-2007, 04:23 PM
I'd be more concerned about no armor esp rockers.
I'd stick to Ehill, wipe out, porcupine rim, fins, poison spider, and definatly do hells revenge, you don't need to do the optional stuff and can bypass a couple things too although there are steep drops, inclines etc. but easily doable in an 80

ginericLC
01-04-2007, 09:22 AM
My wife's favorite run is Fins and Things. It is a gentler trail. If you have a trailer hitch you can leave it on if you care about your rear bumper. The severity of the angles of the ledges will leave you dragging. Hell's Revenge is one of my favorite trails but in my case it didn't work out so well for the family. Lots of ledges that you can't see over the edge. My wife didn't like that too much. Poison Spider is sort of a fun trail. Even with lockers and 285s you will probably screw up your bumpers on the crack on Golden Spike. Kane Creek used to be an easy trail that was sort of fun for the family. Errosion has made it sort of tricky at the top in recent years. I did Steelbender this year and was really let down. However, I also did Metal Masher for the first time and for it being an easy trail it was a ton of fun. Some of this had to do with the people and some of it had to do with the optional obstacles. When picking a trail for my family I try to pick a trail that is easy but has optional exciting parts and good scenery. If I was in your shoes I'd probably go for Fins, Poison Spider, and Metal Masher and if I could get Elephant Hill that would be my #1 choice. And get those sliders on! They are the most important body protection piece on an 80.

corsair23
01-05-2007, 01:59 AM
Thanks all for the great suggestions and insight!!

Red_Chili
01-05-2007, 08:31 AM
Just one comment on Elephant Hill: it is a very long day. If your passengers don't like sitting in a truck for a LONG time they may not like it as much as you will.

I'm risking it with my wife, who hates being stuck in a truck. She loves the Needles District though, so...

Romer
01-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Bill, it is not as long as it use to be with they way the fixed SOB hill. I went last year with Greg and we were back in the campground before 5PM. Still longer than others, but not as long as it use to be.

Hulk
01-05-2007, 10:38 AM
I think my group was back by 7 p.m. last year.

Romer
01-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I think my group was back by 7 p.m. last year.

So I guess if you want a later day, go with Matt :hill:

Hulk
01-05-2007, 11:22 AM
So I guess if you want a later day, go with Matt :hill:
Special smiley for you, Ken. http://rustybrain.com/smile/thefinger.gif