PDA

View Full Version : Guanella Pass Snow Bash

Red_Chili
01-04-2007, 08:39 AM
We're doing a Guanella Pass Snow Bash on Saturday, 2/3. Meet at 9 AM at Grant, on US 285 - that should give us the time we need. This is a public service to another sector of the OHV community (we won't mention the fun involved for us, of course). That bears some explaining...

In my secret other life, I am a heavy motorcycle user... dirtbikes, dualsports, and adventure riding being my preferred flavor.
There is quasi-official traditional event put on every year on or about Valentine's day that is probably best described as a hooligan-esque version of Cruise Moab, Easter Jeep, and a bunch of snow and foolishness. OK, not NEARLY as big as EJ or CM, but pretty popular among the hard core.

It's called the Elephant Ride, over Guanella Pass. It's reputedly named after Hannibal invading Rome over the Alps on elephant-back, which seems appropriate. Motorcycles of all descriptions participate, bikes with sidecars do the best (Urals, Russian-made, or old BMWs, or homemade rigs of all kinds; dirtbikes with ice screws in their tires; streetbikes that don't get very far; sometimes the odd Harley or Indian; usually big thumpers and twins). Some guys camp at Grant the night before; some ride up if weather or ice permit; some trailer their bikes. The date is Feb. 10th & 11th. 10th is for campsite rambunctiousness, 11th is for mechanical event precipitation. Fancy for "breaking bikes".

It's a hoot. Most survive in one condition or another. The problem is, I understand Clear Creek has decided to not maintain Guanella at the top. Even a Ural with a driven sidecar wheel would find four feet of snow a showstopper. So I was asked (jokingly at first, then not so jokingly) if we might be interested in breaking trail.

Good opportunity for bridge-building in the OHV community. Sometimes there is tension between 4x4ers and dirt bikers, for no good reason IMHO.

As Red Green would say, we're all in this together.

Minimum tire size of 33s with chains and lockers are recommended, but we won't turn any courageous soul away. I'm not sure of the conditions or gates that may be closed, so we should scoot up there and do a pre-pre-run. I do understand we will climb over/through a 7' snowplow-induced glop of snow. All good!

We are doing it the weekend before the Elephant Ride so we don't invade the motorcycle nature of the event. That makes us, well, like, Visigoth mercenaries in service to Hannibal in his invasion. Or something. Child sacrifice not a part of this event.

Link to the Adventure Rider discussion: linkie (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183655)
Link to the 'official' Elephant Ride page: linkie (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Elephant_Ride_2007/messages)

Red_Chili
01-04-2007, 10:45 AM
I gots ta build me somma these:
http://rustyspokes.smugmug.com/photos/56301864-M.jpg

Maybe cable-based in the front. Anybody got some busted or no longer in use car chains?

ScaldedDog
01-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Hey Bill. My buddy from church wasn't there this morning, so I wasn't able to find out about conditions at the top. I'll try again next Thursday.

Mark

Red_Chili
01-05-2007, 08:34 AM
You comin', Mark? That would be awesome with those big meats and full size axles.

So far if I'm correct, Nakman, Farnham, Hulk and Treeroot are coming...

Hulk
01-05-2007, 10:36 AM
This sounds like a good run for FZJ80 power.

treerootCO
01-05-2007, 07:02 PM
I'll be there. :)

Uncle Ben
01-05-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm in! :thumb: :cool:

Convert
01-05-2007, 09:36 PM
I"m in FZJ 80 power URRRRRR,URRRRRR,URRRRRR:thumb:

Convert
01-05-2007, 09:38 PM
I gots ta build me somma these:
http://rustyspokes.smugmug.com/photos/56301864-M.jpg

Maybe cable-based in the front. Anybody got some busted or no longer in use car chains?

Bill
PM me I have some old chains you can sort thru to build those
Dan

Lysmachia
01-06-2007, 02:57 PM
If they keep getting as much snow as they have been getting it's gonna be more like 8 foot drifts! Shoot CDOT prolly could have used our help yesterday clearing berthoud pass after the avalanche :D

I'll put this on my calander, and it's a great cuase to boot.

Red_Chili
01-08-2007, 08:11 AM
That's what I understand as well. How deep was the snow on 1/6? Inquiring minds want to know. Guanella is right on the fringe, might have missed a bit of the snow we've been getting.

Hey, Molly, welcome! Looks like you've got an appetite for serious wheelin'. Hopefully we can lure you into club membership, eh?

bh4rnnr
01-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Looks like a lot of fun, if anyone has a open seat, would love to join in:photo: :cheers:

xtrmemtnmn
01-08-2007, 11:54 PM
After all the wind we have had up here I am betting there is not too much snow left. I can drive up there and take a look

Lysmachia
01-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Hey, Molly, welcome! Looks like you've got an appetite for serious wheelin'. Hopefully we can lure you into club membership, eh?

Thanks Bill,

Yeah I am a total 4x4 Chika... I'm always up for some good wheeling! I was bummed I missed the Pizza run this last weekend. I have got to get my Ring and Pinion fixed before I will be wheeling my 4Runner, but my boyfriend also has a 93 4runner - and so his is the current wheeling rig :D So what's involed with membership? Is there a page that all that info lives on? I did not see it outright...

So if Guanella can't be cleared will the motorcycle event be moved to a different pass?

nuclearlemon
01-09-2007, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=Lysmachia;24223] So what's involed with membership? Is there a page that all that info lives on? I did not see it outright...
QUOTE]

http://risingsun4x4club.org/joinrs.asp

Red_Chili
01-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks Bill,

Yeah I am a total 4x4 Chika... I'm always up for some good wheeling! I was bummed I missed the Pizza run this last weekend. I have got to get my Ring and Pinion fixed before I will be wheeling my 4Runner, but my boyfriend also has a 93 4runner - and so his is the current wheeling rig :D So what's involed with membership? Is there a page that all that info lives on? I did not see it outright...

So if Guanella can't be cleared will the motorcycle event be moved to a different pass?
There are club resources that can help with your R&P.
Basically you show up at a club event (this one counts) and show up at a club meeting (like, say, the Feb meeting :thumb: ), pay your $50, you're in. It will help you in a lot of ways. Most of the money goes to 4x4 organizations too.

The Elephant Run is a do-or-die hard-core motorcycle event, so no, it won't be moved. It's brutal, it's a hoot, it requires a psychiatric diagnosis and a lot of shadetree engineering (sound familiar?), and it's a way cool thing to help it happen.

Lysmachia
01-10-2007, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=Lysmachia;24223] So what's involed with membership? Is there a page that all that info lives on? I did not see it outright...
QUOTE]

http://risingsun4x4club.org/joinrs.asp

Cool, thanks for the 411!

LandBruiser
01-14-2007, 06:49 AM
ok, so pay the membership fee then,.... How does one go about making snow chains themselves. Can it be done with a little time in the hardware shop? I would like to make this run with you all. If I dont have fr/rr lockers is it wise to just chain up one tire on the front axle and one on the rear thats doing the turning?

Red_Chili
01-16-2007, 11:24 AM
I'd put a pair of chains on an axle. Front or rear. If that's what ya got. I bought a set from CarQuest that just so happened to exactly match my existing pair (woohoo!) and clipped off some links and a crosschain to make them fit snugly. They came with one camlock each, so with a Red Chili, Subzali-inspired booty fabbed tool I could crank them tight.

When I was checking around, NAPA had chains for less than $90.:eek: But not in stock (could have changed by now!) No idea as to construction, manufacture, etc. The carquest ones were almost double that, $165/pr. or so.

You might swing by NAPA and see.

Red_Chili
01-16-2007, 11:26 AM
BTW, you do not have to be a member to do this run of course... but it does provide benefits! (to you, not just to us... :D )

LandBruiser
01-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks Bill, I saw your rig at the rally this summer. So you think I could make those NAPAs fit my 37s with a little work? Il check on it, thanks!

BTW, you do not have to be a member to do this run of course... but it does provide benefits! (to you, not just to us... :D )

Oh so you mean if I pay, you will actually pull me out when I get stuck:D i get by very well in the summer playing on the rocks without lockers but mud and snow are a totally different story.

Lysmachia
01-20-2007, 12:29 AM
So are chains a must for this? Reson being - I do have chains for 35's but since my truck will probabl still be down we'll be bringing my boyfriends 4Runner. He's got 33's and I doubt my chains could e cinched down to fit his 33's.... (He does have lockers though)

Red_Chili
01-21-2007, 04:45 PM
Chains are nice. Good attitude and gonzo approach are mandatory! Don't let that keep ya away.

Lysmachia
01-29-2007, 01:21 AM
So I take it this gig is still on right? Amyone know if we will actually be able to break trail, or will this be more like a 200 yards - then turn around - then ask "what the heck were we thinking?" kinda thing? :D

Red_Chili
01-29-2007, 08:15 AM
All of the above!

Yep, it is still on. I got someone to cover my on-call duties from Friday midnight through Saturday midnight. Even if we make little or no forward progress, if the last snow run is any indication, we will have a blast. Bring shovels, chains if you got 'em, winches welcome, tow straps, the usual.

And food/water/first aid kits of course. I always include a sleeping bag or two just in case. Never needed them, kinda like carrying spare axleshafts. The day I leave them home I will wish I hadn't.:lmao:

Lysmachia
01-29-2007, 09:13 AM
And food/water/first aid kits of course. I always include a sleeping bag or two just in case. Never needed them, kinda like carrying spare axleshafts. The day I leave them home I will wish I hadn't.:lmao:

Roger that! Still gotta clear this with the S/O as we have to fix his fried ARB air locker line, but barring that - we should be there! I (we) are looking forward to meeting you all!

treerootCO
01-29-2007, 09:30 AM
I won't be carrying any tools for this run if I go. Would someone be willing to let me borrow their tools if needed?

cougar337
01-29-2007, 02:36 PM
I'll be coming along with Treeroot. If there are any open seats I wouldn't mind doing some seat hopping to get a chance to meet and ride along with some of you. I've been jonesing for a run since I have miss quite a few of the last runs with 'root :headbang:

Red_Chili
01-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Of course, 'Root!
Of course, Ian! Be sure to keep track of those keys.

treerootCO
01-30-2007, 12:40 PM
I called the Clear Creek ranger station (303-567-3000) and asked about a gate. She said that the road is plowed to the lake turnoff and not maintained beyond that point. I asked about a gate and she said there isn't one on Guanella pass.

Based on personal experience it takes about an hour to get to Grant from Denver if the weather and road conditions are good.

Convert
01-30-2007, 09:02 PM
So what is the official count of trucks for this run? Just wondering, I need to go lay on the cold hard ground and replace a couple of oxygen sensors to get my truck running correctly. ( GO FIGURE) Just curious Sounds like a good day for burro's on the snackster
Dan:thumb:

bh4rnnr
01-30-2007, 11:16 PM
The run is this Saturday right?? Wouldnt mind joining along but would have to hitch a ride. Anybody up for putting up with me:hill: . First thing though, need to see if I have my winter close handy, hopefully there not packed away:eek: . Thaks in advance:beer:

Lysmachia
01-31-2007, 01:02 AM
Ok gang, I got my calander all mixed up. I have Lacrosse Referee traiuning this saturday - and I HAVE to be there since I am one of the trianers! We are hurting so bad for new referee's it isn't funny.... (Anyone interested in becoming a referee? The pay is pretty good and you don't even have to know the game... we do train you!) SO sadly I will not be at Guenella. And I was so looking forward to meeting everyone.

*sigh* next time. But I look forward to all the stories!

-The Mythical Molly

Hulk
01-31-2007, 12:37 PM
I think I am out as a driver, but I would be glad to serve as a passenger.

corsair23
01-31-2007, 12:51 PM
We were hoping to attend but this weekend is the annual HR Father/Daughter Sweetheart Ball. IIRC this will be our 7th straight attendance :thumb:

So, I will be taking my lovely :Princess:'s to the dance but I hope everyone has a great, and safe, time busting snow! :cheers:

Red_Chili
01-31-2007, 01:50 PM
Not sure of the count actually, seems to be changing.
Root for sure, Perry and Hulk as passengers (Perry you can come by my house and ride up with me if you like!, PM me for the addy), seems like a couple others expressed interest.

Actually with less than 1/2 dozen trucks, it will be easier!

So if you are going, please post up!

Channel 4, meet at Grant at 9AM (leave the metro area by 8 at the latest).

bh4rnnr
01-31-2007, 07:21 PM
Not sure of the count actually, seems to be changing.
Root for sure, Perry and Hulk as passengers (Perry you can come by my house and ride up with me if you like!, PM me for the addy), seems like a couple others expressed interest.

Actually with less than 1/2 dozen trucks, it will be easier!

So if you are going, please post up!

Channel 4, meet at Grant at 9AM (leave the metro area by 8 at the latest).

Thanks for the offer Bill. Need to see if I can round up some winter clothes(i.e, find mine from storage). I'll let you know what my plan is by friday:thumb: . With FUF the night before, could be an interesting morning:eek:

Convert
01-31-2007, 07:25 PM
The run is this Saturday right?? Wouldnt mind joining along but would have to hitch a ride. Anybody up for putting up with me:hill: . First thing though, need to see if I have my winter close handy, hopefully there not packed away:eek: . Thaks in advance:beer:

Perry I will put up with you:lmao: . I would love to here about your trip to Ireland.
I'm in so that is what 3 trucks 2 pasengers?

farnhamstj
01-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Sorry to bail on you guys. Based on the snow up Yankee hill. I'm not sure I'd get too far. So, I'm working that day instead.

ColoCruiserJeff
02-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Hey all! 'Root informed me of this run yesterday...and today I got my Wifie's Stamp of Approval! YEAH! We'll be there, count on it! I'll be bringing the '02 Taco.

It'll be me, my wife, and our 3.5 yr old who's totally jazzed about taking his own shovel!

I'll bring towstraps, chains and the HiLift...as always! Anyone else comming up from Colo Spgs?

treerootCO
02-01-2007, 09:07 AM
I am going. Because I have two passengers and only a 2 seater 40, I plan on trailering the 40 to Grant. I'll need an open seat in another rig when we hit the trail.

LandBruiser
02-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Doesn't Guanella start above Georgetown off of 70? Would it be cool for me to meet you all at the trail head? Goin down to 285 is a little outta the way if so. I think we will be doing more shoveling and straping than driving but fun none the less. Does anyone have an old spare tire to bring and tie in between toe ropes so we do not hafta worry about yanking/jerking the piss out of each other?

Also I am not sure if anyone will be coming with me so I will have room for an extra or two.

Jason

treerootCO
02-01-2007, 10:52 AM
The pass goes from Georgetown to Grant/Grant to Georgetown. I would be really suprised if we made it to Georgetown. If you waited for us on the Georgetown side, you may never see us.

As far as tow straps go, I prefer the gentle approach whenever possible. In most cases you never need speed or violent jerking.

Hulk
02-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Doesn't Guanella start above Georgetown off of 70? Would it be cool for me to meet you all at the trail head?

In this case, Guanella ends at Georgetown. If you go there, you may see the Rising Sun group by day's end. But you'll be lonely.

Where are you coming from?

ColoCruiserJeff
02-01-2007, 10:58 AM
I take all my recovery gear...just in case. I like tow straps the best. The chains are for the tires, silly! The gentle approach is always the best just in case you do this :flop:

LandBruiser
02-01-2007, 11:03 AM
oh, okay. no worries I can make it that way I was just asking. I did Argentine? back it October and was just wondering if I was the same place.

And it was just an idea about the tire thing. I have been in situations where the guy pulling just ends up digging down deep and getting stuck by not using a little momentum trying to tug a heavy ass 80. You are probably right tho. Hope to see you guys on sat.

LandBruiser
02-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Where are you coming from?

from Downtown Denvah

treerootCO
02-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Feel free to bring whatever you think we may need. I probably just jinxed us. :o

I have room for 6 in the Duramax if needed. We just need to make sure everyone has a seat on the trail.

ColoCruiserJeff
02-01-2007, 03:59 PM
I just realized where I saw this pic from :flop: Not poking fun...honestly! Glad he was okay.. Thanks 'Root for jinxing us!! Damn, I don't even have a wood dash for knockin on!

bh4rnnr
02-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Perry I will put up with you:lmao: . I would love to here about your trip to Ireland.
I'm in so that is what 3 trucks 2 pasengers?

Dan, thanks for the offer, think i'll take you up on it:cool: . Bill thanks also:thumb: . Was able to find my winter gear, seams though i was thinking when I packed it away, put it right in front:) . Looking forward to the run.

Dan, ive me a ring sometime tomorrow and we will get everything figured out:beer:

Cell:720-308-3290

LandBruiser
02-02-2007, 09:51 AM
After my trip to Walmart for an extra shovel and wiper fluid I noticed a small weep of antifreeze presumable from the water pump. Nothing since that one time, but should this be something that will keep me from going? I dont think its gonna fail but??? Whadaya guys think?

The are also projecting 50mph wind gusts up there so some ski goggles might be a good idea also.

thefatkid
02-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Landbruiser, I would try to confirm the leak, when it gets this cold sometimes the hoses leak a little till they warm up. I would not worry if they are leaking from around the clamp. If it is the water pump you might want to bring a spare, but it is not likly that it will fail "all of the sudden".

I'll post up tonight if I'm going to go. I'm not sure I'll be much help. If wallyworld has another set of chains I'll be in for sure. My fenders will hate me for sure if I do this.

Brian

LandBruiser
02-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Word. I am not really worried about it failing either. I do have a new Toyota spare that I could bring with...the one thats in is a Carquest:( from about 3-4 years ago. I always have my tools and (bananas) with but would be like:banghead: to do that job in ~-20* wind chill. I would end up:camping: Hopefully you can make it. This will be my first official snowwheeling trip!!

Red_Chili
02-02-2007, 02:50 PM
SWEET! This will be a hoot.
I have a couple empty seats.
Somebody gonna make videos? The motorcycle guys are jazzed to see us bash the snow. A few of them are coming up Sunday for a pre-run, it would be cool to post up Saturday nite, and I can link it to the Elephant Run boards.

Lysmachia
02-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Man Oh Man I am so bummed I am missing this. Not only was I going to miss it because I have Lacrosse Training, but now I am going to miss *that* because I have walking Pnumonia! I have not been this sick in 4 years. So I think you guys will be glad to not have me there for this one. I so would have loved to put a video together for ya! I look forward to the stories and tales from my laptop in bed ;D

Hulk
02-02-2007, 06:28 PM
I've been sick all day (working naturally), so I'll probably be home in bed. If I feel great in the morning, I'll call you, Bill.

ColoCruiserJeff
02-02-2007, 07:39 PM
We'll be there!! And we'll bring a video camera, and BEER! We're planning on leaving COS going up 24 to Woodland Park, thru to Lake George up thru Tarryall and over Kenosha Pass. See you in the AM!

719-244-3025 cell

Convert
02-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Leave the BEER at home:thumb:

treerootCO
02-02-2007, 09:46 PM
I don't want to alarm anyone but the weather prediction says it is going to be a little nippy tomorrow. :D

Convert
02-02-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't want to alarm anyone but the weather prediction says it is going to be a little nippy tomorrow. :D

Yes very nippy , mike when are you heading out , I'll pick Perry up around 7:45
Dan

treerootCO
02-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Probably around 7:30 or so. I don't have my CB in the GMC yet but I'll fire up the CB in the 40 when I get to Grant. I'll have my cell on, 720-635-9198.

Does anyone have a torch handy? I was thinking we should bring one in case we get ice in the bead.

Uncle Ben
02-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Good luck folks! Wish I was going. Gonna be a windy day so get-r-done early! :thumb: :thumb:

nuclearlemon
02-03-2007, 12:43 AM
hoping someone has a seat...i'll be riding up with treeroot. call me if you've got a seat. 303 416 0362. call anytime.[/

Hulk
02-03-2007, 12:21 PM
We'll be there!! And we'll bring a video camera, and BEER!

Note to all: Rising Sun runs all trails completely dry. If you bring beer, please save it for after the run is complete.

bh4rnnr
02-03-2007, 07:52 PM
hoping someone has a seat...i'll be riding up with treeroot. call me if you've got a seat. 303 416 0362. call anytime.[/

Yeah, thanks for that 6am wake up call today:eek: :rolleyes: :rant: . Though it was nice havin a alarm clock:hill:

ColoCruiserJeff
02-07-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm well aware that the trails are alcohol-free. Thats a no-brainer. Thanks for the reply though!

LandBruiser
02-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Note to all: Rising Sun runs all trails completely dry. If you bring beer, please save it for after the run is complete.

Naw, I'll pass on that! Unless were camping.

Wow, members obey RS trail rules and regulations more strictly than the federal and state laws. Your hardcore!

I would rather roll my truck on the trail, than :boozer: and a DUI!

Now that I think about it, I would sooner have my hand winched through a fairlead than have another DUI.

Note to self: Drink alcohol just before we hit the trail.:hill:

Red_Chili
02-10-2007, 03:48 PM
I think Jason's jingling our chains, whaddya think?:p:

Heck, we're so hardcore, if ya smell of booze before the trail we might just hafta lash you to the bezel (upside down bezel, mind you) of an FJ40 as penance, just to keep the trails safe!

CSP has nuttin' on us...

ColoCruiserJeff
02-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Jason should've brought chains! :) J/K!!! Mine were the wrong damn size....so who am I to talk ?? ? :)

angelseleven
12-28-2007, 02:59 AM
For the past couple of years the road as been plowed up to the Geneva Park C.G. turn-off (I think it's FR119, it goes up to Duck Creek picnic area). This is the north side of the big park where the Abyss Lake T.H. is, before you begin to climb towards the summit. Beyond that there are a few switchbacks and all the new shelf road construction they are doing. Around Jan of last year it took me all 4 chains and both lockers to get up to the old ski area (that was our destination) and I had to shovel a couple of drifts that were hood high on my truck. It shouldn't be much of a problem with a couple of truck bashing, though.
Hi Red

Please don't give up on Guanella Pass! You guys are enlightened, county commissioners can become enlightened as well. Although there is a method to my madness, I would appreciate talking/emailing to you about this use of your National Forests and public roads.

julie holmes
angelseleven@earthlink.net

Red_Chili
12-28-2007, 07:55 AM
Email sent!

DaveInDenver
12-28-2007, 09:19 AM
julie holmes
Is this the Julie Holmes from (or at least once was) the Alpendorf?