PDA

View Full Version : New EarthRoamer

Maddmatt
01-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Hey,
As some of you know I have an "inside track" at EarthRoamer. Thought you might like to see the pics of the newest model.

I know it's based on a Jeep, but don't be hatin', it's too cool to bypass just for that one little flaw. At least its based on a Rubicon, so you get locking diffs, electric disconnect sway bars, etc...

Basic concept will be back-country travel for 2, with galley, toilet, 20-25 gallons fresh water, hot shower. Tent will deploy internally, so a weary traveler could pull over in the rain, put the tent up and go to bed without getting outside.

Pricing will be just under $100k including the Jeep. That may seem high, but when you get a chance to see the work and technology that goes into it, it will be well worth it.
-Matt

timmbuck2
01-11-2007, 05:25 PM
very cool........would an LX450 supercharged version be an "EarthRomer"?

:lmao:

60wag
01-11-2007, 05:30 PM
very cool........would an LX450 supercharged version be an "EarthRomer"?

:lmao:

Only if it has granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances.

nakman
01-11-2007, 05:41 PM
And a whole bunch of LED's!!!

Matt, if you're too busy during Cruise Moab I'll bring one of those out for you..

RockRunner
01-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Looks like a great idea, nice touch with the tent opening from the inside. As far as price goes...............well. At $30k you get a fully loaded Rubicon. I would hope that they do the Dodge Hemi conversion in this unit, that alone adds $12k. Add a lift and maybe a body stretch and some more handling items another $15k and you are at $57k. So for about $40-50K they add a pop top motorhome to the Jeep. It better be really nice, heat/AC, sink with hot water, three way fridge etc.

I understand that everything now a days cost a ton, $90-110 an hour for a mechanic to look at your car. But $100k for a 4x4 motorhome, I just don't get it anymore. Am I cheap or just behind the times? I have seen Pathfinder vans converted to 4x4 with the kitchen sink added for $65k BNIB. These guys must be going for the really rich outtdoors man, and I know they are out there but really?!?!?

I hope that the design of the top gets used and converted to other vehicles like the Land Cruise or Suburban. It will be fun to see how many electronic toys they can stuff in there.

Is this being designed as a concept or for retail sales?

As I said before I am not knocking it, I think it is a great idea and cool design but $100k? Will see.

Beater
01-11-2007, 09:42 PM
I think I've scene this movie before...

Yep. I am sure of it...

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Dormobile/pictures/BobRight.jpg

AxleIke
01-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Looks like a great idea, nice touch with the tent opening from the inside. As far as price goes...............well. At $30k you get a fully loaded Rubicon. I would hope that they do the Dodge Hemi conversion in this unit, that alone adds $12k. Add a lift and maybe a body stretch and some more handling items another $15k and you are at $57k. So for about $40-50K they add a pop top motorhome to the Jeep. It better be really nice, heat/AC, sink with hot water, three way fridge etc.

I understand that everything now a days cost a ton, $90-110 an hour for a mechanic to look at your car. But $100k for a 4x4 motorhome, I just don't get it anymore. Am I cheap or just behind the times? I have seen Pathfinder vans converted to 4x4 with the kitchen sink added for $65k BNIB. These guys must be going for the really rich outtdoors man, and I know they are out there but really?!?!?

I hope that the design of the top gets used and converted to other vehicles like the Land Cruise or Suburban. It will be fun to see how many electronic toys they can stuff in there.

Is this being designed as a concept or for retail sales?

As I said before I am not knocking it, I think it is a great idea and cool design but $100k? Will see.

You have to see it to believe it...The interior will rock your world. Like, not kidding about the granite counter tops, the flatscreen TV's etc...Happened to be BSing with a friend down at Slee one day, and got a chance to poke around on one of the Dodge based ones...i was pretty amazed.

wesintl
01-12-2007, 09:00 AM
I got a private tour of Vinces' out in moab and all I can say is WOW! I mean WOW, nothing is spared, very well though out etc.
I think the rubicon model looks pretty nifty. I would think though if ER wanted to break into the world market or sell a vehicle to an american that would take it all over the world they need to get it on a Toyota 78 series platform.

The only negative I can think of is that you can't get it in an hzj78. That would be ultra sweet.

I would think they would be able to get a few and sell them as "kit" vehicles.

wesintl
08-08-2007, 10:50 AM
I forgot to say I saw a new jeep ER heading the other way on i70 coming back from bill moore 2 weeks back ago with a full size ER. It looked pretty cool IMHO

calphi27
08-09-2007, 03:28 PM
I have been out to their shop. I remember one of the guys telling me about their new secret vehicle, but he did not tell me much. I remember wishing they would do a landcruiser, but could you imagine the price tag on that baby?

I did walk around in their ford ERs. They were all decked out inside with cherry wood and granite. They were definatly sweet but not worth the price.

nakman
08-09-2007, 04:10 PM
They were definatly sweet but not worth the price.

Kind of hard to define "worth it." To you, and to me, yeah probably not not worth it.. I surely can't afford one. And if all you want to do is take a pickup truck camping then yeah, you can do that for way less.

Though I may have some personal bias here, I'll give you a very objective reason why this business model works: Their target audience is obviously not the folks who want to go cheap. Most of them own boats, sports cars, vacation homes, heck even airplanes. Is all that other crap "worth it?" I bet they never have to try to convince anyone if an Earthromer is worth it.. people fly in to see them, if they like them, they buy one.

As a business owner, that's a sweet niche to be in, and it makes for a much more pleasant sales process, plus the people your customers refer will also be of the same affluence. I think it's cool they offer such a high end product, spare no expense in componentry, and then command a premium for it.... plus have folks pay cash just to get on the waiting list. I couldn't imagine the head aches associated with trying to sell campers to the low end, or even middle class markets. That's a very smart, strategic business decision, IMO.

JadeRunner
08-09-2007, 08:37 PM
It's nice to see a smaller version that would be more agile while off roading. They tout these things as being so awesome off road. But, I just can't picture those big heavy and tall behemoths taking most of our tiny 4x4 roads. That could get scary.

nakman
09-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Hey I heard a rumor that this new Earthroamer can actually wheel... any truth to that? :D :D

powderpig
09-21-2007, 06:21 AM
Tim, I heard the same thing. I was talking with Scott Brady just the other day. He and Chris finished the Rubicon last week with the Smaller Jeep based Earthroamer. Any how I am sure a full write up will show up some where. Scott did say that the Earthroamer did perform real well, it suprised him at times. It was a tight fit in many places, came through unscathed. later Robbie

Maddmatt
09-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Hey I heard a rumor that this new Earthroamer can actually wheel... any truth to that? :D :D

Yeah, yeah yeah. I'll try to throw some pics up next week, but yeah, it can wheel. Consider the Rubicon conquered.
-Matt

nakman
09-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Ok, I can't wait any longer. And after I win the lottery I'm going to try to commission a 45LV version.. too cool. :bowdown:

Jacket
09-25-2007, 04:11 PM
^Is that on the Rubicon trail?

Edit: D'oh! I just read the entire thread - sorry. See - this is where the "view first unread" can get you into trouble.....

Maddmatt
09-25-2007, 04:19 PM
^Is that on the Rubicon trail?

Yes.

60wag
09-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Cool. Matt, any chance you could bring it to a meeting sometime? I'd love to check it out.

nakman
09-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Cool. Matt, any chance you could bring it to a meeting sometime? I'd love to check it out.

Gee why didn't I ever think of asking that... :rolleyes: :D:D

fwiw, I think the owner's a good photographer, this long exposure one almost looks photochopped.. *sigh* wish I was camping today.

wesintl
09-26-2007, 09:21 AM
sweet. I'd have to find a way to buck up if they ever sold that platform on a 79 troopie.

MDH33
09-26-2007, 09:26 AM
sweet. I'd have to find a way to buck up if they ever sold that platform on a 79 troopie.

Build it!