PDA

View Full Version : 5VZ power steering pump with SAS

Red_Chili
01-12-2007, 02:06 PM
OK, those who were in the meeting this month may remember my question about the 3.4L PS pump going out on my 3.4L/1987 SASed 4Runner (happened at slow speed during the COHVCO Rock Crawl demonstration). Oleg has not had any problems, and others mentioned no problems, though Bill mentioned the valving and pressure might not be right for the application.

Spoke with Brian Cobain (TheFatKid - hey, he ain't fat... ???) during the snow run. He has had several friends who have had the same failure I had. They went with the PSC power steering pump (http://www.pscmotorsports.com). Brian mentioned about $250 for the setup.

They look very nice, the basic pump is less than $200. However the site mentions using the whole kit, over $400 :eek: . I called them and he actually quoted me a slightly lower price on the pump, and the remote reservoir is over $100. That means if I can come up with a decent, large reservoir, the whole deal will run around $268. It bolts right up to the stock pivot/adjuster.

What vehicles have a remote reservoir that would be large and fit the bill? Anyone done this conversion?

leiniesred
01-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Hmm, it wasn't that big, but my 1986 Volvo 740 had a remote reservoir for power steering. It was black and mounted on the driver's inner fender. I think the pump was chevy too.

1992 ford tempo was remote mounted on the strut.

1964 Mustangs mostly had remote reservoirs.

I remember the original Toyota VAN WAGON (we had a 1985) had a remote reservoir under the drivers seat, but it was small.

Might be the best junkyard bet:

The previas are even more interesting with the radiator fan driven via hydraulic motor linked to the power steering pump. (might have both a big pump and a big reservoir!) That hydro motor also drove the alternator via belt. (so a hydro pump on the engine, runs lines to the front of the truck where a hydro motor drives the engine fan and the alternator.)

Cheese
01-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Brian is not fat, but he is handy to have around.

I have the PSC pump and reservoir. Went that route to run assist and had heard horror stories about killing stockers.

I put a bracket for the reservoir right behind the headlight up front where the old battery used to be. If I remember right your engine bay is pretty crowded Bill.

I say get it. Money well spent.

Here is the easiest pic I have on the computer. Reservoir is enough up hill, but I would like to add a cooler and consider relocating.

http://pics.montypics.com/flygtenstein/2006-10-13/1160791577_dsc01252.jpg[/QUOTE]

Red_Chili
01-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Yep, crowded just like yours!
Hey, you oughta put a foam prefilter on that there K&N, Adrian! Mine gets nasty regularly.
Thanks for the input!

Red_Chili
03-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Well, a friend bought my old trailer axle and an agreement to do fab on his trailer, so I ordered up the PSC unit (yoiks).

One MORE thing to do before Cruise Moab! :D

Toyota spec's ATF for the PS fluid. I've been running Mobil1 ATF, what have others run successfully?

(I have leftover Valvoline dino ATF, that would save the budget...)

Beater
03-29-2007, 12:26 PM
I run dino oil atf... always have, always will

Red_Chili
04-17-2007, 08:47 AM
I posted some tech over on 4x4wire.com, because of a wider audience, but wanted to crosslink from here so folks can find it if they need the info. There were some details in the PSC install that were not immediately obvious, and the PSC tech folks were all out of town at Easter Jeep!

Here ya go:
Linkie (http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=993703&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1&vc=1&PHPSESSID=)

Red_Chili
05-10-2007, 01:02 PM
OK, a trip to Moab and flawless operation- this thing rawks.

HOWEVER, mine whines especially above 3K RPMs. Worries? No worries? Since PSC was now back to work after Easter Jeep, I just got around to calling them.

No, it is not normal, and when I mentioned Valvoline SynPower PS Fluid, he said that was the cause. Apparently it foams even more than stock GM fluid. Cavitation is the reason, and that is a bad thing in hydraulics.

Well, Royal Purple here I come... wuttapain. A real disappointment to a Valvoline believer too, lemme tell ya.

J Kimmel
05-10-2007, 01:35 PM
No, it is not normal, and when I mentioned Valvoline SynPower PS Fluid, he said that was the cause. Apparently it foams even more than stock GM fluid. Cavitation is the reason, and that is a bad thing in hydraulics.

Well, Royal Purple here I come... wuttapain. A real disappointment to a Valvoline believer too, lemme tell ya.

Thats interesting Bill. I noticed mine was whining a little more than normal as well. I use the same Valvoline sythetic fluid. Its odd, sometimes its flawless(like 3 days on extreme trails in Montrose), then some days it acts pissed off...I did pull my cap and it was awfully foamy, yet no leaks and no overflowing. Its not like it was just installed or bled either. Did they recommend rhe royal purple?? I'm not wanting to drain and re-fill but if it keeps it happy :)

Red_Chili
05-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Yep, RP is what they spec. They said get the Valvoline SynPower outta there!

wesintl
05-10-2007, 03:20 PM
AND.. RP supports the Rising Sun and Cruise Moab :thumb:

the napa on county line has some of their oil and gear fluid.

Red_Chili
05-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Royal Purple supports Cruise Moab? I had no idea! Cool!

wesintl
05-11-2007, 09:48 AM
The last 2 years they donated 3 cases of OIL and for the raffle rig they sent oil, gear lube, atf, coolant additive, ps fluid :thumb:

So i'm guessing I won't have any ps wine in my new fj62? ;)

Hulk
05-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Wes, what's the best place to order Royal Purple? Online? I have some lubricant swaps I'd like to make. I need to drain and refill the t-case on my 40, and I may do my 80 as well. I also need to swap fluid in both my diffs on my 80.

wesintl
05-11-2007, 12:32 PM
I guess it depends on what item you need. I usually like to by that stuff local since shipping is usually costly on fluid. But this place seems to be ok.
http://www.rpmoil.com/

I've seen oil at pep boys and napa. Napa can order it from the warehouse up north as well. There is a race shop in englewood that has it as well. dartmouth and lipan. napa is probably your best bet if you don't go the online route...

Red_Chili
05-11-2007, 01:32 PM
The race shop at Darmouth and Platte River Drive is open till 6 IIRC, or 8PM Thursday nights. Where I picked up RP PS fluid last night. Dandy stuff in there, especially for you Chebbie V8 Cruiser d00ds. All kinds of little race and performance diddlies, wiring stuff, gauges, etc. They carry Redline fluids too, MT-90 makes manual trannies shift sweetly.

wesintl
05-11-2007, 02:43 PM
that's the one... something like dt performance. It's right on the corner.

Red_Chili
05-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Got it: On-Track Performance. That's the name. Very handy, that late night on Thursdays.

Uncle Ben
05-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Got it: On-Track Performance. That's the name. Very handy, that late night on Thursdays.

I might add for documentation that they do great chip and dyno work!

Red_Chili
10-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Update: PSC said that a persistent whine above 3K RPM is not normal and is likely caused by my briefly using Valvoline Synpower fluid, which cavitates at high pressure per their experience. Also, and THIS IS IMPORTANT!, my instinct to not put the pump in a press and press the pulley on was a good one. He said to not use a press.

They could REALLY use some documentation, which they admit. They should really warn folks up front about not using anything but Royal Purple PS fluid too. They do favor it on their website, but they need a warning!

Now the good news: they are sending me a pump today which they will charge me for until I return the whiney pump. I also asked them to press on a pulley and I will return the pump and pulley I have.

Very good customer service. They could have avoided having to do it with a typed instruction sheet!!

J Kimmel
10-31-2007, 01:10 PM
FWIW I updated with a larger reservoir and switched to Royal Purple, can't say that I saw a HUGE difference, but I can say that 5 full trails and I have not heard a whine, sqeek, leak or anything from my steering, so it must have helped a ton. Ran coyote, pritchett, steelbender last week without even thinking about the steering :) I would say its good stuff :)

Red_Chili
11-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Got the new pump installed last night - they changed the pulley configuration and size. The new pulley looks much better and is slightly larger, still smaller than stock. This means there is less underdrive, which by itself should help with any whining at high RPMs. The pulley looks to be held in place by a large allen fastener screwed into the end of the shaft, or else it is just pressed on and that is the shaft I am looking at.

I did have a shock though. The pivot of the original pump had fractured. My son set the tension in Moab when I was chasing a squeak, and he 'educated' me that you really need to get it TIGHT. But overmuch tension is the only thing I can think of that would fracture the pump pivot. Don't know if that means I get to buy it now, or not. :( Methinks he got a little enthusiastic. It was, after all, not a stock pump.

Of course, the larger pulley also means my belt is now too short. The stocker will be a tad too long I think, but I will buy three or four belts from NAPA like I did before until I find the perfect fit - then post the number.

Red_Chili
11-12-2007, 12:06 PM
The fracture was clearly from overmuch tension on the belt for the design of power steering pump. The PSC pump is not as robust as the stocker with regard to the pivot at least. It did not cause the whine, however. The whine is now gone, and the new pump works like a champ! I tightened it up *just enough*.

Oh, and it now takes the exact same belt as the alternator due to the slightly larger pulley, so should the alt belt break I automatically have a spare. Nice feature.

Hulk
11-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Nice! Hope this fixes all your problems.