PDA

View Full Version : Tool recomendations

treerootCO
01-27-2007, 07:46 PM
I need to buy new tools for the Cruiser because someone permanently borrowed all mine last night. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good kit? Something in a plastic case would be nice as long as it had all the sizes or wrenches and sockets needed for trail repair.

Rzeppa
01-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Mike, first of all, sorry to hear about your loss. Have you contacted the police? Not that you'll ever see them again, but...

Anyhoo, over the years I have come to the conclusion that my truck-carried tools need to be custom assembled, I have not found a prepackaged kit that has all the stuff I need and doesn't have a bunch of stuff I don't need. To put together a new kit (have done this now for my HZJ75, my 71 40, my daughter's runner), I typically scrounge through my main rollaway tools to find extras of good useful stuff and then come up with a short list of stuff I don't have extras of. Leave out stuff you don't need, like 11mm and 15mm wrenches.

Minimum:

#1, 2 and 3 phillips. Short plus long handle on the #2, long handle on the #3
1/8, 3/16, 1/4 and 5/16 flat blade, short plus long on the 1/4
3/8 drive 8, 10, 12, 14, 17 shallow sockets, 12, 14, 17 deep. 3/8 drive plus 2" and 6" extensions.
1/2 drive 12, 14, 17, 19, 22, 24, 27, 30, 33 sockets, 14, 17 19 deep. 1/2 Breaker bar plus 3" and 8" extensions.
Combo wrenches: 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 22.
Metric allen wrench set.
12, 14 and 17 combo gear wrenches.
12-18" pry bars.
Hub socket.
Brass drift. A couple of flat cold chisels, a couple different sized pin punches.
MFH, BFH.
Slip joint pliers, 10-12" channel locks, Vise Grips.
Long nose pliers, dikes (large wire cutters)
Wire stripper/lug crimper
6" crosscut file
Cheapie multimeter

Adding to minimum might include cheater bar to slip over the beaker bar, brass hammer, cordless soldering iron, stubby screwdrivers, hacksaw, etc.

Obviously this doesn't include consumables such as tie wraps, duct tape, crimp terminals, electrical tape, nuts and bolts and washers, sandpaper, fluids, etc.

Crash
01-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Man, that sucks. Maybe should have driven the Cruiser instead of the Merc' to PPP? Hope that tools is all that are missing.

treerootCO
01-27-2007, 09:38 PM
I am thinking of assembling a custom kit like Jeff posted above. I know I was carrying too much before. I wasn't going to but I went ahead and filed the report.

They also borrowed the CB...

Hulk
01-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Mike, that just sucks. You need to move ASAP.

Here's where I've been buying tools for the last couple of years (other than Sears and Harbor Freight):
http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/catalog.html

I'm a fan of S-K.

gahi
01-28-2007, 08:51 AM
A cheapo set from Home Depot will get you buy for little while, you may have to add screwdrivers though.

Beater
01-28-2007, 09:04 AM
both red chili and I carry the same set basically. the craftsman 100 some piece set in the hard plastic suitcase. It has some space for carrying extras, and is nice and compact, plus easy to take in and out. Plus it's black, so once you pull the stickers off, it's very hard to see in the truck..

They put them on sale all the time, for around 80.00 best buy imho

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Tool+Sets&pid=00934104000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Mechanics+Tool+Sets&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

SROR/AKA 2BAD
01-28-2007, 09:32 AM
first i'd get a good lock box and mount it in the bed. mount your spare on top of it or get a tire carrier.

stay away from H/F, go craftsman and get the lifetime warranty.

sorry bout your loss mike, i know how you feel. we use to live 20 blocks south of you for 15 years and lost many,many items out of our vehicles and home :mad:

bh4rnnr
01-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Mike, that sucks. If you need, I got a tool box full of tools sitting in my parents house, more than welcome to borrow any of them. Havent used them for a while now.....

LandBruiser
01-28-2007, 01:10 PM
both red chili and I carry the same set basically. the craftsman 100 some piece set in the hard plastic suitcase. It has some space for carrying extras, and is nice and compact, plus easy to take in and out.
]

X2,..or wait is that X3? Plus it makes a good step ladder to work under the hood.

farnhamstj
01-28-2007, 04:02 PM
I too am a fan of the craftsman stuff. Sorry to hear someone helped themself to you stuff. Beaters.

Rezarf
01-28-2007, 06:31 PM
sorry Mike, that sucks.

I have found the ratching wrenches (I use Craftsman, cause I can't afford Snap-on) are about the most versitle things for the rig. A good set of vice grips, adjustable cresent wrench, zip ties, duct tape, bailing wire, and RTV are always in my little box... I have the craftsman case that can fit inside it too, maybe 100 peice?

Sorry man, give a shout if you need anything before you rebuild your inventory.

Drew

Red_Chili
01-29-2007, 07:41 AM
X2,..or wait is that X3? Plus it makes a good step ladder to work under the hood.
Am I x4, or x2 to the second?:hill:

The kit makes a good starter. Rather complete. I blew out of the original toolbox though, and now carry a Husky three-drawer with foam cutout to fit all the pieces parts. Not the best solution, but it works.

The very best solution will be a Pelican case. There is a guy who modifies them as saddlebags for motorcycles, he modifies them to lock to the mounts, locking cases, pretty thief-proof (or resistant anyway). They will have foam layers which can be cut out, and the mount will be customizable and not all that expensive. I'll let you know when he finishes them. He does very good work.

That will allow me to secure a generous tool case, while keeping the sleeping room and allowing tool access even with the fam's camping gear loaded up.