PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Auto shippers???

FJBen
01-29-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm looking a getting an FJ40 from Long Beach, CA to Greeley...does anyone know of any good transporters???

thanks
Ben

MDH33
01-29-2007, 06:01 PM
I've heard some mention of uship.com on MUD. Sounds like positive experiences and less expensive than most autoshippers. Apparently truck drivers will bid on hauling whatever you have.

I've used Forward Air for motorcycles with no problems, but can't recall if they do cars/trucks.

So did you buy a 40??

corsair23
01-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Ben,

I would start here: http://www.transportreviews.com/

Read the reviews (links on the left to look at the last 30 days, year, and 2 years of reviews). To me auto transport is a crapshoot as even the good ones have bad reviews from time to time. Also, I doubt many shippers make this website known to those unhappy with the transport but probably try real hard to make the site known to all that are happy :)

Problem is that most tranporters are really brokers. You call them, and for a 'fee' they set up a unrelated company to pick up and deliver your vehicle and you pay in cash to that company when your vehicle arrives. Often this could involve multiple transport companies meaning your rig gets loaded and unloaded multiple times.

If you can I'd try to find a company that actually does the hauling themselves or at least one that insures that once your rig is loaded it isn't unloaded until it arrives at your door (if you choose door-to-door service).

Also, most companies consider a lifted FJ40 (if it is lifted) to be an 'oversized SUV' due to the height. So, make sure you get a quote for that rather than finding out when they deliver your rig that they now want X amount of $$ or you don't get the Cruiser :(

As for actual company names...I could look up who transported my FJ40 from CA if you'd like. But, it was one company that brought it to Grand Junction and another that brought it the rest of the way...The only other company I have dealt with was SMS. I dealt with them on a FJ40 I tried to buy from a guy in NH. The seller turned out to be a scam artist (may he rot in...nevermind) but SMS were great people and went out of there way to try to help me.

Good luck!

CardinalFJ60
01-29-2007, 06:07 PM
When I had my FJ60 shipped out here from SLC I used PK Trucking or transportation or something similar to that.. They are out of SLC, but have trucks going all over the place.

I had a good experience, and had regular comm. with Mr. Piquet (yup, company name is a play on their name), and he gave me the driver's cell phone number so I could coord. delivery very easily.

HTH

treerootCO
01-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Anything under $1,000 is a good deal from there to here. I have a card somewhere for the guy Gumby used. Really inexpensive compared to the other guys I have used. Non operational adds 250.00 or so to the price so buy the junk that runs or get it running before you try to ship it.

I have used kiwiscarriers and AAauto so far. Both were over $1,000 from Cali

treerootCO
01-29-2007, 11:28 PM
Hopefully you are checking these threads ;)

fjben
Hi, i recieved a pm fromfjben about transporting a 40 from Ca to Co. Georg told me you are friends He hasn't been on line lately and if he wants this to happen, he has three days. Please have him contact me

Kent

sleeoffroad
01-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Ben,

I have used these people about 4 times and worked out great. I believe they are a consolidator and arranges the transport with companies. If the truck runs it is the cheapest. I have paid from $300 (Utah) to $1100 from BFE in Virginia.

Give me the origin zip and I can see if I get a quote. We have an account with them.

http://www.autotrans1.com/

FJBen
01-30-2007, 09:38 AM
Hopefully you are checking these threads ;)

fjben
Hi, i recieved a pm fromfjben about transporting a 40 from Ca to Co. Georg told me you are friends He hasn't been on line lately and if he wants this to happen, he has three days. Please have him contact me

Kent

Cool, I checked with my friend it appears he is about 350 miles from Long Beach...:eek: so that won't work really well...so i replied to him :)

thx!

FJBen
01-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Ben,

I have used these people about 4 times and worked out great. I believe they are a consolidator and arranges the transport with companies. If the truck runs it is the cheapest. I have paid from $300 (Utah) to $1100 from BFE in Virginia.

Give me the origin zip and I can see if I get a quote. We have an account with them.

http://www.autotrans1.com/

cool thx! The truck runs, it's SOA on 35's...thats really the only gotcha...

The zip code is 90755, and if it's cheaper to ship to denver, or somepoint right on the interstate that works as well. Greeley is 80631.

thanks a ton
Ben

lfd270ben
01-30-2007, 12:46 PM
It cost me 350$ to drive there and back in my truck last summer so maybe some weekend you could drive out and uhaul it back maybe 500- 600$ in cash for gas and 30hrs rountrip or bring a flatbed with and forget uhaul thats my 2 Cents but I like road trips. I am driving to LA this summer and will bring it back?