PDA

View Full Version : 80 series broken headlight wanted

nakman
01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Anyone have a broken headlamp? I need a plastic retainer ring off the back of it that holds the low beam bulb in place... mine fried. I'm going to try to design one and run one in the replicator, but those cut-outs are tough little buggers to measure, I'm not sure I'll be able to pull it off.

Someone sell me a broken headlamp for $5. Ok, $5 + 1 :beer: ok :beer: :beer:

Vitesse_6
01-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Im sure someone will beat me to it, But I could send you one of mine when I get to replacing it.

Vitesse_6
01-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Looks like my headlight should be here in about 3 hours, Via the FZJFillmore express.
Let me know if you would still like it, If so, I will take you up on your offer at CM :beer:

nakman
01-31-2007, 05:56 PM
sold! thanks. Man, you Utah guys are alright, I don't care what Ige says.... :blah:

:lmao:

Vitesse_6
01-31-2007, 05:59 PM
WOW Throwing us all under the same bus...Im am not your A-typical Utard thank you
:thumb:

EDIT
Dang forgot smilies

Shark Bait
01-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Anyone have a broken headlamp? I need a plastic retainer ring off the back of it that holds the low beam bulb in place... mine fried. I'm going to try to design one and run one in the replicator, but those cut-outs are tough little buggers to measure, I'm not sure I'll be able to pull it off.

Someone sell me a broken headlamp for $5. Ok, $5 + 1 :beer: ok :beer: :beer:

And the $64 question is, how did you "fry" it? :eek:

Vitesse_6
01-31-2007, 10:13 PM
I just saw the tread, I wonderd the same, You look to have the upgraded harness, Did the bulb just fall or work its way out? Hence the reason you want to make a new one.

nakman
01-31-2007, 10:42 PM
And the $64 question is, how did you "fry" it?

My John Deere bulb popped out.. I'm blaming it on me shaving off one of three mounting tabs, which was a requirement for install. Was, I say, because I think I've figured out a way to preserve them, and at the same time make the mounting more secure.

Longer story, with pics here: http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=134383

Shark Bait
01-31-2007, 10:49 PM
My John Deere bulb popped out.. I'm blaming it on me shaving off one of three mounting tabs, which was a requirement for install. Was, I say, because I think I've figured out a way to preserve them, and at the same time make the mounting more secure.

Longer story, with pics here: http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=134383

I tried to get the John Deere bulbs back in December. Romer got the last 4 locally at $10 each. Now they are $24 each retail, and have been on back-order since December. I brow-beat the parts manager at John Deere and he told me he'd sell them to me at his cost, $17. I'm still waiting to get them. John Deere must have figured out they had mis-priced them, or something. :( Oh, and please put me down for a pair of the new retainer rings. :D

corsair23
01-31-2007, 11:18 PM
x2 on the retainer ring Tim :)

Although I too need to find the John Deere bulbs...Bummer that the price has more than doubled :(

Vitesse_6
01-31-2007, 11:22 PM
I never read up on the JD bulb's, Maybe I should, As for now what are the benefits? Price may have been one factor, But now tha seems to have passed.
Any info would be great or throw me a link.
Thanks

Hulk
02-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Tim, put me down for a pair of those new retainer rings.

corsair23
02-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Any info would be great or throw me a link.
Thanks

Brian,

Here you go :thumb:

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2679&highlight=john+deere

Inside that thread Romer has a link to the IH8MUD thread where they are also discussed - If you find a JD dealer in your area that is still selling the bulbs for cheaper maybe you could pick up a few additional sets that I and others could buy from you :D. Locally a couple months back they were $10 now looks like they are $24

nakman
02-01-2007, 09:45 AM
That's a bummer the price went up.. I'm going so shove a stock one back in just to get a headlight again, but need to upgrade those bulbs again, they are WAY brighter. I never did my high beams, so maybe I'll do it all at once, since I need to remove both batteries to get in there.

And I designed the high beam retainer ring last night, and should have the first run of the low beam later today. I'll get the high beam file, with an updated file of the low beam (if necessary), into a build for the weekend. Once I like the design I'll make more... but give me another week or so on these before we're released to production.

Edit: I haven't done any research, but what about the Daniel Stern option? Are those better and/or cheaper than JD?

corsair23
02-01-2007, 11:31 AM
An option for those looking for the HIR bulbs...A few $$ more than JD is asking but they are available now and in a rarity in the eBay world the Priority Maill shipping of $5 for up to 8 bulds is actually 'reasonable'.

According to the description the seller has both the high and low beam HIRs (9011s and 9012s) - auction ends Feb-03-07 12:24:57 PST but will probably be extended as the seller seems to have a lot of these available.

I may just go this route as JD doesn't seem to have any in stock and you can't get the high beam bulbs from them anyway. Plus, it will cost me almost as much in gas to go pick up just some low beam bulbs from a JD dealer in town as it will to pay a little more and have some shipped :(

HIR 9011s and 9012s on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170074281476&rd=1)

Tim...As for the Daniel Stern option I could be wrong but I thought I read where they were not as bright...Might have read wrong and not sure where I read what I think I read :confused:

nakman
02-01-2007, 11:45 AM
I bought my JD bulbs over 3 years ago.. in a group but that Cary put together. I can't remember what we paid but it was a lot more than $10, closer to $20. I think I'm going to hold out and hope someone local finds the JD bulbs again for a little less.. I can do a little searching on my own as well. For now, I just don't want to be a pediddle any more..

sleeoffroad
02-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Tim, I have a headlight if you want it.

Shark Bait
02-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Tim, put me down for a pair of those new retainer rings.

Matt, I'm still planning to pick up 2 bulbs for you if you still want them. That's if they ever come in. All I get from the JD people is "they are back ordered". They can't even give me an idea whether it will be a few days or a few weeks till they get more. It's been frustrating. :rant:

corsair23
02-01-2007, 01:05 PM
All I get from the JD people is "they are back ordered". he can't even give me an idea whether it will be a few days or a few weeks till they get more. It's been frustrating. :rant:

Chris, I could swear when I was perusing JD's site last night trying to order some bulbs I saw a March availability date...It was late and now I'm wondering where I saw the date but March 3rd sticks out in my mind...The thing about JD is you have to select a local dealer as your 'primary dealer' which makes searching for availability elsewhere (i.e. out of state) difficult to impossible and time consuming. Another reason I'm considering just biting the bullet and buying them off eBay.

If anyone is interested in an eBay "group buy" let me know. I'll thinking of ordering 4 bulbs (2 9011s and 2 9012s) so there would be room to order 4 more at no additional shipping cost. Not much of a savings but hey :hill:

Tim...Sorry for the major highjack of your thread. Sort of kind of related though right? :brick:

Shark Bait
02-01-2007, 01:24 PM
If anyone is interested in an eBay "group buy" let me know. I'll thinking of ordering 4 bulbs (2 9011s and 2 9012s) so there would be room to order 4 more at no additional shipping cost. Not much of a savings but hey :hill:

Where are we getting them from and how much?

nakman
02-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Chris, they would be from that ebay ad Corsair posted above.. $27/bulb plus your share of the $5 shipping cost.

edit: ok since we're on page 2 now here's the link. Toshiba! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170074281476&rd=1

And no worries Jeff on the hijack, I'm actually more interested in finding new bulbs now anyway. On that, if someone finds a source for these JD's please post up.. or just buy me a set of 9012's @ $25/bulb or better and I'll pay you back.

Christo, thanks but Brian (Vitesse) is mailing me the thing I need, and will keep as a backup, if my new retainers don't work for some reason. But I'm hoping soon a lot of people will suddenly have a bunch of spare retainers around.. :D Hey maybe you should try to be a John Deere bulb dealer, these seem to be about as popular as 90004 oil filters.

corsair23
02-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Where are we getting them from and how much?

See post #15 :)

eBay, $26.95 ea, + $5.00 shipping for up to 8 bulbs

If you can get the ones you have on order with JD for $17 still that would save you some :twocents:. For the rest of us (at least me) the $23.99 price at JD vs the $26.95 price on eBay isn't all that different. Price difference is $2.96 per bulb plus $5 shipping (non insured). For a person buying just two bulbs you'll pay ~$11 more less whatever tax savings would be (maybe $3-$4). Group buy saving the $5 on shipping then the difference would be even more negligible, say maybe $3 or so.

Since you can't get the high beams from JD anyway and have to find those elsewhere then to me it makes sense just to buy them all at one place. But, I'm impatient :hill:

Edit: Tim beat me to the answer :)

Shark Bait
02-01-2007, 02:08 PM
The $17 was JD's cost. I had originally asked for 4, but if they ever come in I can ask how many I can buy at that price.

Hulk
02-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Chris, I'm still in for the JD bulbs. I only really care about the low beams, since that's what I use 99% of the time.

Shark Bait
02-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Chris, I'm still in for the JD bulbs. I only really care about the low beams, since that's what I use 99% of the time.

OK. I'll let you know.

corsair23
02-01-2007, 02:31 PM
The $17 was JD's cost. I had originally asked for 4, but if they ever come in I can ask how many I can buy at that price.

Chris, if JD lets you get more at that price that would be awesome!!

I found where I read that March 3rd date...It was on the IH8MUD JD bulb thread but a couple people reported today getting calls that the bulbs arrived (California). Also, someone reported still seeing the $10 price down at Southern NM/Western Texas JD dealers. But, the way the JD parts site works it limits you to local JD stores so you'd have to find someone down there to order them for you and then have them shipped up :(

Shark Bait
02-01-2007, 02:38 PM
I call the local guys every week. They remember me by now. "Calling about the bulbs? They're still on back-order." :p: Of course these guys are still recovering from the snow storms we've had.

Chris, if JD lets you get more at that price that would be awesome!!

I found where I read that March 3rd date...It was on the IH8MUD JD bulb thread but a couple people reported today getting calls that the bulbs arrived (California). Also, someone reported still seeing the $10 price down at Southern NM/Western Texas JD dealers. But, the way the JD parts site works it limits you to local JD stores so you'd have to find someone down there to order them for you and then have them shipped up :(

Jenny Cruiser
02-01-2007, 03:32 PM
I can't believe they upped the price. Glad I got two sets when I did. I bet everyone from Mud emptied all their old stock.

Shark Bait
02-01-2007, 11:05 PM
OK. I got the call today. My bulbs are in. They will honor the $17.51 price for the 4 I originally ordered. Any additional ones will be the new retail price of $24.95. I promised 2 to Hulk at the $17.51 price. If anyone would like me to pick them up bulbs at the $24.95 price I can. Let me know. I can probably bring them to the meeting next week. I expect to make it.

Hulk
02-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Woo hoo! Thanks, Shark Bait!

nakman
02-02-2007, 12:16 PM
edit: Ok editing my response.. I'm going with the Corsair deal, but thanks for the offer sir Shark Bait!

Also I've got the first prototype of the low beam retainer, already tweaked the design and have the second gen slated for the next build, along with the first gen of the high beam. I updated that mud post with more pictures last night, if anyone's interested...