PDA

View Full Version : Easter Jeep Safari in danger- ALSO CRUISE MOAB


Red_Chili
10-05-2005, 08:32 AM
This has a direct effect on Cruise Moab, inasmuch as we are allowed the same routes as EJS. Were Alternatives B or C to be chosen by the BLM, CM would not be able to run the at-risk routes, or any routes at all!!!!

You can bloody well bet our greener friends will be sending out action alerts on this, and flooding the BLM with comments - from people who don't even visit Moab.


**********************************************



From: "Adam Mehlberg" <3jeeps@frii.com>



Subject: [Usall] Alert: Moab Easter Jeep Safari may be in danger!]

FYI.

Jeep Safari Permit is at risk. Support Alternative A.

Adam.

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: [Usall] Alert: Moab Easter Jeep Safari may be in danger!

Two alerts in one day! Please read the message below and, please

RESPOND. I know it seems like there is always a letter to write or

call to make, but stay with us, it's worth it. If we all unite

together (all user groups) we can overcome the radical enviros, and

help preserve the activities we all love. It's worth it.





The BLM has published its EA (Environmental Assessment) for the RR4W

Jeep Safari 5-year permit, which expires at the end of this year.

Whether you are an EJS fan or not, it is imperative that we all write

to the BLM supporting Alternative A, which basically grants the permit

as requested. (Alternate B would deny several routes, including

Pritchett and others, and Alt. C would deny the permit completely.)

The EA for this permit is not only for EJS and Labor Day Campout, but

for all other motorized, non-competitive events that require permits

on EJS trails.



Even though the EA does not effect casual motorized use (i.e. use that

does not require a permit), the denial or restriction of the EJS

permit would set disastrous precedent for Moab trails. Once

"permitted" use is banned, how long do you think it would be before

some of these trails are closed to ALL motorized use?



PLEASE go to www.blm.gov/utah/moab <http://www.blm.gov/utah/moab> and

download the document (its a PDF file), read through it, and WRITE A

LETTER TO THE BLM SUPPORTING ALTERNATIVE A. The public comment period runs through October 31.



Jeff Stevens

Moab Friends-For-Wheelin'

Red Rock 4-Wheelers



you can also follow this link to see on going discussion on this topic

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?p=263675#post263675



Thanks for your interest and support.

Utah Shared Access Alliance (USA-ALL)

Main: 801.465.1145

Fax: 801.465.6972

Toll Free: 866.265.3434

Email: info@usaall.org <mailto:info@usaall.org www.usaall.org

<http://www.usaall.org/>

Utah Shared Access Alliance is a non-profit and non-partisan 501(c)(3)

organization dedicated to helping the motorized community promote

responsible use and access to public land in Utah.

nakman
10-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Well, that is an interesting read for sure, I will attempt to upload the .pdf.

edit: cool, it worked! So Kane Creek is in the same bubble as Pritchet Canyon, both would get whacked under option B. What's ironic is that if no permit gets issued under option C, then the use of all those trails will remain open to private traffic. (bottom of page 14)

So I read that as anyone and everyone can then travel to Moab for Easter, without limit. Then use whatever trails they want.. privately. So instead of 1400 Jeeps running sanctioned and controlled routes it'll end up being 3000 Jeeps, with no control. But Shirley the enviro-types thought that through, right?

Red_Chili
10-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Oh yeah. Like they thought through the constrictions on "categorical exclusions", saying that now the public will be involved. What it really means is that categorical exclusion, which allows quick remedial action for non-controversial and totally compliant local USFS management, will now be ground to a halt with bureaucratic bottlenecks. Won't be able to do a dang thing without lawyers.

Yeah, that's democratic all right. Nice spin.

RedFox
11-02-2005, 11:05 AM
This is a copy of the letter I sent to BLM:

October 29, 2005

U.S. Department of Interior
Bureau of Land Management
Moab Field Office
82 East Dogwood Avenue
Moab, UT 84532

Draft Environmental Assessment UT - 060 - 2005 -080
Red Rock 4 - Wheelers Jeep Safari and Fall Campout 5 Year Permit

To whom it may concern:

We are in favor of Option “A” of the Environmental Assessment about the 5 Year Permit.

The Rising Sun 4 - Wheel Drive Club hosts the “Cruise Moab” Event, the first week in May for the past 9 years. It is a family event and has been limited to under 175 vehicles. We run the same trails as Easter Jeep Safari, and limit the number of vehicles on each run to 20 vehicles. We have a raffle and dinner for 300 participants at the Bar-M Chuckwagon. We obtain the necessary permits from the State of Utah and BLM.

We conduct a safety inspection, auto insurance verification of each vehicle, rate the vehicles and driver experience for each trail, promote proper environmental trail ethics, conduct trail leader and driver instruction meetings.

We provide income for local Moab businesses, pay Utah and BLM fees.
Net proceeds from our raffle are donated to nonprofit organizations, including Search and Rescue, Moab Police.

As responsible 4 - wheelers, we feel that the permit outlined under Option “A” is the appropriate decision for the BLM to use in their determination.

Sincerely,

Dave Brown
Rising Sun 4 - Wheel Drive Club
Cruise Moab 2006 Committee member
303-838-7723