PDA

View Full Version : what do you think about this 80?

isotel
02-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Its a 94 144k, Lockers, white, Been in a wreck, one front fender is a different color, and not quite lined up too good, running board is kinda jacked(but those will be gone anyway ;) ).. Kinda Smelly inside, and a bit dirty, but should clean up alright.

Birfs are not making noise, and dont look too leaky. but the main issues is with the Shifter, i have not driven it yet, but he said the shifter was not working properly (getting suck in Park) :confused:

Its only $5000, and im thinking about picking it up to replace my 4 runner.. any insite would be great.. Ive been looking for a bit and would love to pick up a nice LX450 or 96-97 Cruiser with low milage, but this sucker is 1/2 the price, and i dont mind getting my hands dirty fixing her up a bit :beer:

Romer
02-04-2007, 10:37 PM
You have any pics Trevor?

You know how to do a front axle so thats not a bad job.

You could hem and haw about the tranny and get it for $500 maybe.

Hants
02-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Give me a call, Trevor... If its in town, I can come down and take a look at with you.

FJBen
02-05-2007, 10:40 AM
A blown fuse will cause that "parking lock" to engage...I think it's the tail-light fuse...or maybe it's the radio/cigarrete lighter fuse...anyways...it's most likely the fuse.

Beater
02-05-2007, 10:53 AM
I saw a lx450 in ga I think on rockymountain cruisers for 5k, with 80k miles. Might be worth looking to see if still around.

georgia be warm and sunny with no salt.

ginericLC
02-05-2007, 11:23 AM
The shifter not shifting is most likely a blown brake light fuse. I wouldn't mention this to the seller though. I'd use it for negotiation. At 5k you are almost in parts rig territory. Anything under $4k is what I consider a parts rig. At 4k you can make your money back selling it off piece by piece. That doesn't mean that it is only good for parts but should you get into some sort of bind you could sell it off and get your investment back and you'd learn a ton about 80 series in the process.

isotel
02-05-2007, 01:12 PM
cool, thanks for the help guys.. I figured the Shifter issue was no biggie! Im going to call him and try and work a deal! If i pass on it, and its still available i will let you guys know! FJ Ben has first dibs..

isotel
02-05-2007, 01:18 PM
Looks like its Gone already :(

Jenny Cruiser
02-05-2007, 04:31 PM
It's sitting in Ben's driveway right now. :lmao:

Nemo
02-05-2007, 07:47 PM
IF you are looking here is one I found on autotrader. Has some roof damage and not sure how bad it is. Looks like a tree hit it or something, but worth a look for anyone looking. 102000 miles, locked, and asking for 6k.

With Link This Time

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=215432573&dealer_id=615137&car_year=1997&model=LC&num_records=25&make2=&start_year=1996&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=used&distance=0&make=TOYOTA&color=&min_price=4000&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=80218&advanced=&end_year=1997&doors=&transmission=&max_price=7000&cardist=1010

Jenny Cruiser
02-05-2007, 08:59 PM
That one's been on there for some time now.

isotel
02-05-2007, 09:00 PM
"This car is no longer listed for sale.
The seller has removed this ad from the site. Keep searching! We update our listings constantly, so we're sure you'll find similar cars."

FJBen did you buy it? :mad:

just kidding :)

Sorry i did not post a link :rolleyes:

FJBen
02-06-2007, 09:39 AM
lol....nope...no pink panties in my driveway...:Princess:

isotel
02-08-2007, 04:34 PM
OK found another one! Green 93 No lockers 220k One owner, going to go look at it in the morning.. He has done the timming belt, front axle rebuild, new tires, and rear brakes.. $4250

Romer
02-08-2007, 04:39 PM
There is no timing belt in an 80.

isotel
02-08-2007, 04:56 PM
lol, chain maybe?

Hants
02-08-2007, 05:12 PM
I've not heard of anyone needing to replace the timing chain.

There's a timing chain tensioner in the early models (93-94?) that can break. I think there's something on Christo's site or Mud.

There are also some electrical/computer issues with these years. This is all from memory (not experience):

- Early 93 computers had a recall -- check the model number
- Wiring harness in glove box and behind engine can wear/melt and cause weird symptoms
- EFI relay/wire is undersized and can overheat/fail

All of these issues are covered on mud.

FJBen
02-08-2007, 05:19 PM
OK found another one! Green 93 No lockers 220k One owner, going to go look at it in the morning.. He has done the timming belt, front axle rebuild, new tires, and rear brakes.. $4250

jeez where are you finding these cheap 80's at!!! Let me know if ya pass or find a cheap. I need one for the :Princess: cheap is good...all part of the removing debt plan :D

thanks
Ben

isotel
02-08-2007, 06:10 PM
yea i will look into those issues, Thanks Hants!

Ben, Yea i was pissed i missed the last one! Ive been on the 80 hunt for a while, but the $10k ones are a bit out of reach for me, (im in the Don't get myself into debt plan)

If i pass on it i will give you guys a full report and pass on his contact info..

Rzeppa
02-08-2007, 07:40 PM
No lockersPass. Lockers don't add anything to most deals, but mean a lot to you and me; most sellers don't even know what they are or whether they're worth anything, they're too busy telling you about the moon roof and stereo. And as has been mentioned, the 1FZ has a chain, not a belt. ALL OHC engines need their timing chains or belts replaced as a matter of routine maintenance.

isotel
02-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Ok, i looked at it today.. Birfs where replaced recently, and good to go, The engine runs like a top, Tranny feels fine.. Cloth interior is in good shape.. The paint is a respray, small scratches and dents on it. Rear Brakes Rotors/Calipers/pads are brand new. the guy lives in Castle Pines and has keep it garaged, and whenever something went wrong he fixed it. the drivers window has a bit of an issue going up..

Talked him down to $4000, and gave him some cash to hold onto it! Whatcha guys think? ill post some photos when i get home!, If i dont pick it up, FJBen has first dibs, and anyone elce after that.
This was posted on Craigslist yesterday at 9:00 am and he got 20 e-mails on it in one day!

isotel
02-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Oh, and lockers are sweet, and id defiantly like to have them, but for now, im not going to wheel this truck for a bit, and if i do decide to wheel it, i will figure something out, my $200 Aussie locker in my 40 has done me wonders!

Romer
02-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Sounds like a good deal Trevor.

Expect you will be visiting the 80's section on Mud. You can add factory or ARB lockers at any time

corsair23
02-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Birfs where replaced recently...Rear Brakes Rotors/Calipers/pads are brand new. the guy lives in Castle Pines and has keep it garaged, and whenever something went wrong he fixed it.

Nice bonuses :thumb:

The paint is a respray, small scratches and dents on it.

Personal preference on this...

The drivers window has a bit of an issue going up...

On my '97 LX450 a new window motor ran ~$500 installed :eek:. Motor alone was ~$300 IIRC. Might just be the switch, but if it is a 'slow' up deal then it is probably the motor.

Talked him down to $4000.

Seems reasonable but what do I know...

Romer
02-09-2007, 12:48 PM
The slow up down problem is common and is any easy cheap fix. Several threads about this on mud and typically not the motor.

Romer
02-09-2007, 12:54 PM
For the window issue. Grease the motor and clean or replace the rubber inserts:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=9388

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=127107

isotel
02-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Romer, you da man when it comes to the FAQ and 80 section, Yes i will be on there alot.. Did some reading last night, and you do a top rate job keeping everything organized and neat..

The window goes up fine till it gets 75% of the way up, then it stops, and you have to push it up with your hand, then once it gets past that point it goes all the way, im thinking it has something to do with the stop's or track being off.. (funny story, while i was test driving it i got my fingers stuck in the window, then it would not go back down, and i could not pull my hand out, kinda hurt too ;))

anyone have a suggestion to getting a $4000 loan? lol Car loan may not work due to the age and milage of the truck.. Personal loan?

Trevor

nakman
02-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Do you own your house? Can you get a LOC?

corsair23
02-09-2007, 01:56 PM
The slow up down problem is common and is any easy cheap fix. Several threads about this on mud and typically not the motor.

:eek: Now you tell me :lmao:

For me it was a warranty issue so my cost was nothing for a new motor but good to know next time any of them go south. Mine wasn't a slow mover but a no mover issue, other than down.

isotel
02-09-2007, 02:54 PM
i dont own a house, Working on a LOC. i think my credit is pretty good, i have a couple of cards, Student loans, and i always pay them on time.. we will see

isotel
02-13-2007, 11:01 PM
here are some photos i took

Still working on a loan :confuse2:

The Flares are jacked on both sides, im contemplating if i want to take them off, or spray them..

Trevor

Convert
02-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Take them off they are not needed :thumb:

Hulk
02-14-2007, 12:27 AM
Seems like a pretty good deal to me. The back hatch looks like it might be a replacement from a '97 -- I think the '97 model was the only one that had the Toyota emblem centered under the window.

Romer
02-14-2007, 04:34 AM
Looks good Trevor. I personally like the flares. I have seen people duraline the flares instead of painting them and that looks pretty cool.

I just bought a spra can of my matching paint and touch them up when needed.

Uncle Ben
02-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Looks like a nice truck! I don't like the looks of the flares but I do like the protection they offer. I have "touched" my flares several times and I have no doubt they saved my sheet metal! A little touch up paint and your good to go!!!!

:bowdown: :kevin: :cheers: ;)

FJBen
02-14-2007, 09:51 AM
sounds like a good deal a little spit and polish and she's good to go.

Beater
02-14-2007, 10:18 AM
damn! an 80 with a latte and a full tank of gas included? perfect!

nakman
02-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Cloth interior, too!

Nay
02-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Looks like a nice truck! I don't like the looks of the flares but I do like the protection they offer. I have "touched" my flares several times and I have no doubt they saved my sheet metal! A little touch up paint and your good to go!!!!

:bowdown: :kevin: :cheers: ;)

Lose the flares - that's a good 5-6 inches of width that wants to "touch" things on a rig that's already too wide :D

It's a totally different look, though.

isotel
02-14-2007, 03:23 PM
yea i am not sure what to do, id like to take them off, but i don't know if they will look good on a stock truck.. I totally love the way they look with 35's though..

damn! an 80 with a latte and a full tank of gas included? perfect!

Nice, i love the Full Tank of Gas, ill be switching from a 22re :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, its not the cleanest truck, and if you get up close you can see quite a bit of small scratches

corsair23
02-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks guys, its not the cleanest truck, and if you get up close you can see quite a bit of beauty marks

Fixed it for you :)

You'd be hard pressed to find an older, dark color vehicle, without it's share of beauty marks. My black '97 LX450 looks great from about 2 feet...Get up close though and you can see the brush scratches, areas where it appears the PO used a shovel to remove snow from the hood, etc. Some a good detailing might take care of...The rest? Well, those are the beauty marks :thumb:

isotel
02-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Yep, im not worried about it, My Current DD is a 89 4runner with Rust all over it, Hood and Fender are white, the rest of the truck is red, the hardtop is pink from being faded.. Tailgate is dented to crap, front clip is off of newer truck.. lol

This should be a nice upgrade..

isotel
03-16-2007, 02:12 PM
OK, this truck is still up for grabs, (the green 93)
FJben went and looked at it, but after having newer 80's his wife did not like the cloth, and shape that the truck is in..
$4000 Gets the truck.. I drove it a bit,engine and tranny feel fine! the Birfs are new, shocks seemed ok, muffler was replaced recently with a flowmaster.. Rear Disks are brand new! something may be up with the abs, or Master cylinder..but the trucks drives good..

Issues that i saw that could be fixed
Drivers window stops on roll up and needs a push to go all the way up
brakes felt a little messed up, maybe they system was not bled properly
Paint shows 220k miles worth of wear and tear, but from 10 feet looks great!
minor things, like a missing fuse box cover..

all and all, this truck would be a great wheeler for someone wanting an 80! Its not supper clean, but who cares if your going to take it up to the mountains and beat on it.. you could build this into one bad ass 80 for under 10k!

Please PM me if you are interested and ill pass along the contact info!.. The owner is out of town till next week..