PDA

View Full Version : 4runner rear suspension sag

subzali
02-13-2007, 03:00 PM
My buddy just got a '95 4runner. What is the rear suspension setup on these? It sags a little bit in the rear (which from what I can tell is a normal phenomenon with those trucks) - is there a simple way to eliminate this problem? Obviously getting new springs (are they leafs or coils or combo?), would it be worth it to snag some springs from a junkyard truck? I told him probably not but I don't really know much about Runners.

nakman
02-13-2007, 03:23 PM
He can use 80 springs if he wants a lift. Mr. Gasket spacers from Summit racing would probably work for a quick inch.. I've never put them on a runner but if they work on an 80, and 80 springs work on a Runner, then they should work on a Runner right?

Beater
02-13-2007, 05:41 PM
bill morgan can address this, but I think that 80 series fronts give 2 inch of lift on that series...

Seldom Seen
02-13-2007, 06:41 PM
80 FRONT coils work in the rear of 96+ 3rd Gen 4Runners and provide 3 to 3 1/2" of lift.

80 REAR coils work in the rear of 95 and earlier 2 Gen 4Runners and provide ~2 to 4" of lift, depending on how bad the butt sag is, figure 2" over stock height as a rule of thumb.

Old Man Emu 901HD will give ~1.5" over stock and increase the load capacity while still providing a smooth ride a decent flex.

Red_Chili
02-14-2007, 08:16 AM
I can vouch for the ride quality of the OME HD springs on a 90-95 4Runner: excellent! It's like a whole new truck, they are that good (compared to the worn out factory springs which were never too hot to begin with). They are also amenable to spacers for up to 4" of lift when the user so desires, so it is not money wasted should he want more lift later.

I can also vouch for the ride quality of 80 front coils on a 96+ 4Runner; also superb. The only ding is that they provide maybe 1.5" too much lift to look balanced without larger tires and some sort of lift kit in the front (spacer lifts do not provide enough front lift to balance with the rear lift obtained). Functionally, they are flawless. My wife's 4Runner looks a tad goofy and rakish, but it works great and the front alignment can be done without going extreme on the caster.

Hulk
02-14-2007, 09:55 AM
I have my stock springs from my 80, if you're interested.

beatdown83fj60
02-16-2007, 07:18 PM
The rear of 90+ 4runners is a 3 link coil spring suspension. If you want a cheap fix, get a coil spacer to get it up in the air. If you want to spend a little more cash, you can get some stiffer progressive rate coils. If you want to do something crazy, you can have my fj60 front leafs and get some bushings, spring hangers, shackle mounts, shocks and a welder and get some beef back there. I'd be willing to bet it would flex better, those $Runner rear coils are crap. I haven't gotten a Performance Parts catalogue since I started driving straight axle vehicles, but they had rear coils designed with the idea that $Runner sag sucks http://www.performanceproducts4trucks.com/productpage.aspx?pid=104589&name=Performance+Products+1+Inch+Lift+Springs . Also check out Northwest Offroad Specialties as well as Downey, I believe they both had either spacers or coils or both for the rear of the Runners. If he isn't planning on using it for any serious offroading, I'd just bolt a spacer in there.

Red_Chili
02-20-2007, 09:02 AM
The OME coils flex very well, offer 1.5" lift, and work with the spacers asn BeatDown suggests for a total of 4" lift. However, that's the limit. If you SAS it and use anything more than 3" springs in the front, you need to leaf it in the rear like the man says.

If you do OME plus the spacers, you also should use AllPro heim joint upper control arms and Johnnyjoint lower arms to position the axle. I would strongly recommend reinforcing the upper control arm brackets at the axle housing as well. Ask me how I know. Not hard to do in the shop. Much harder to do on Spring Creek.

But the coils work very well. I'm not fond at all of Downey nor of NWOR personally, YMMV.

treerootCO
02-20-2007, 10:22 AM
it is an optical illusion.

subzali
02-20-2007, 11:46 AM
So if he got an ARB bumper for the front and put 80 rear coils on the rear, would that rake it too much?

Red_Chili
02-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Probably, but he can always adjust the torsion bars to a point (like, 1.5" max). Roger Brown also sells balljoint spacers that make a surprisingly good and effective front lift that works, rather than just jacking up the front.

subzali
05-25-2007, 04:32 PM
So reviving this cause we finally got around to it. 80 REAR coils are bigger in diameter, and will work in the REAR of a '95 4runner if I'm reading right. It looked right anyway when we had it apart. Ran out of time so didn't make any progress, but was also having trouble getting the suspension to sag enough to get the 80 springs in. It looks like a 4 link suspension in the rear, with a torsion bar (front side of axle) and a sway bar (rear of axle). Going from that, we unhooked the bottoms of the shocks, unbolted the torsion bars on each end (front of axle), and unbolted one end of the sway bar. Hoisted up the body and set it on sawhorses, and tried jacking up a drum to help the suspension flex even more.

Got the passenger side coil out but couldn't get the 80 coil in.

Couldn't get enough space to get the driver side coil out, no way an 80 series coil is going in.

So do we have to disconnect the top links of the 4 link suspension to get the axle to droop enough to do this, then hook it back up again? I'm gonna go snoop around on some other boards but thought I'd give a shout out here. Thanks guys!

subzali
05-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Okay this one guy on Yotatech said that the driver side springs are longer than the passenger side springs on an 80. So if me and my buddy are planning on using the rear springs from the same truck then will his 4runner sit lopsided? :confused:

corsair23
05-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Okay this one guy on Yotatech said that the driver side springs are longer than the passenger side springs on an 80. So if me and my buddy are planning on using the rear springs from the same truck then will his 4runner sit lopsided? :confused:

Matt,

It is true that the springs are different sizes...See here (http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_ome.htm), step #7. IIRC it is to compensate for the driver's weight, I think. As for sitting lopsided...Not that I've seen or noticed :thumb:

nakman
05-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Yeah they're different length, but more to account for the smaller OD of the axle on the driver's side than the weight of the driver. Did you guys get it in yet? Any brake lines or breathers holding you up? If you have the shocks and swaybar disconnected that thing should drop... :confused: You can always do the free retal of coil compressors from AutoZone if you get desperate, but man that takes a while and definitely adds another level of complexity... but it works.

subzali
05-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Haven't got it in yet, brake hose was close but I don't *think* it will be a problem - we're going to try tomorrow before we leave for Wyoming.

And I guess I had my terminology wrong - the swaybar is in the FRONT of the axle while the panhard is BEHIND the axle.