PDA

View Full Version : My kitty is losing the horizon

treerootCO
03-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Gary mentioned that you know it's time when your dog loses the horizon. My cat who has been with me for 20+ years is not doing well today. She has pretty much lost the horizon. :(

Please no, " I hate cat" type comments

nuclearlemon
03-02-2007, 04:14 PM
dang...sorry bout that mike. i know how much she means to you. :(

Uncle Ben
03-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Sorry to hear that Mike!

gahi
03-02-2007, 05:24 PM
sorry to hear, what does "loosing the horizon" mean.

IanB
03-02-2007, 05:34 PM
I was there a year ago with my dog of 15 years. Its very hard to lose an old friend. :(

bh4rnnr
03-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Sorry to here Mike!:beer: :beer:

Hulk
03-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Mike, that's such a wrenching experience. My heart goes out to you.

I wrote up "Farewell to a friend - Gus the cat (http://rustybrain.com/?p=62)" when we lost our old tabby back in 2000. I think it's the only time I've cried since I met my wife 14 years ago.

Hulk
03-02-2007, 06:16 PM
And to lighten things up...
http://rustybrain.com/haha/cuttingurbrakelinezca3.jpg

corsair23
03-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Tough stuff indeed...My dog passed away almost 4 years ago now and I'm still dog-less to this day. My daughters have a dog now, but it ain't the same :(

I think it is harder if you have to watch them progressively get worse...not suffering, just getting worse. Tears your heart out when you remember how vibrant they were in there younger years.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-02-2007, 06:51 PM
bummer mike,
we just had to put a dog down.

i really feel bad for you, it's not an easy thing to deal with. :(

Jenny Cruiser
03-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Sad day bro. My little buddy Ferrari lost the horizon last month after 17+ years. Coolest cat ever - could fetch, speak, sit, roll over and all that. Found him in Japan when I was in HS.

farnhamstj
03-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Sorry to hear. Good luck to you.

Crash
03-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Hey Root Boy,
When you unexpectedly came puttin' up the alley during the "Big Snow" right before Christmas '06, it was a happy moment for Suz and I. EO, our 19 year old kitten that had graced the Crase household from the time she was six months old was not doing so well and the surprise of the F chugging up the hill distracted us from her obvious fate and we thank you. Life is short and our pets are daily reminders of that fact. Grab it and growl and smile at your friends. Often. Reality is inevitable and our friends help define the adventure it can be.
Good 'toon Matt. Cats do think that way, don't they Mike?
S

PabloCruise
03-02-2007, 08:46 PM
I am sorry to hear this - how are things going?

PabloCruise
03-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Do you mind a few classics?

http://www.acc.umu.se/~zqad/cats/1168382483-116839053547563.b.jpg

http://www.acc.umu.se/~zqad/cats/1168702253-readingurmindz.b.jpg

http://www.acc.umu.se/~zqad/cats/1168702253-*****Massage.b.jpg

http://www.acc.umu.se/~zqad/cats/1168702253-1167187156527232.b.jpg

Hulk
03-03-2007, 11:32 AM
OK, here are some more:
http://rustybrain.com/haha/Eagle-Cat.jpg

http://rustybrain.com/haha/cat_fixit.jpeg

http://rustybrain.com/haha/catfart.jpg

http://rustybrain.com/haha/cat-serious.jpg

gr8fulabe
03-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey 'Root,

Sorry to hear the news. We've all been through it & know how hard it can be.

If you want to, "get away" from your normal routine to get your mind off things, I'd be happy to buy you a couple of beers up here in Boulder.

Just let me know.

Abe

Chris
03-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Sorry to hear it Mike.

I lost a dog this year.

It sucks.

:(

treerootCO
03-03-2007, 08:08 PM
I didn't think she would live through the night. Other than falling off the couch today, she hasn't moved for two days. She appears to be awake, but no one is home. :(

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-03-2007, 10:00 PM
let me say this mike,
if you have to take her in a put her down :( be there for her, let yourself be the last one she sees.
it's the hardest thing to do, but give her the comfort knowing that you were there for her :(

my deepest regards
we just went thru this with a boxer we rescued

jim

subzali
03-03-2007, 10:04 PM
sorry bro, my family just went through quite a few cat and dog losses and it's hard, especially the old ones that have been good friends for a long time. I don't normally like cats much, but yours was pretty cool when I saw it last year.

treerootCO
03-04-2007, 05:18 AM
1984 - 2007

IanB
03-04-2007, 06:17 AM
1984 - 2007

Damn man, sorry to hear that :(

Shark Bait
03-04-2007, 08:04 AM
Hey Mike,

Sorry to hear. I've lost my share of cats. :(

Chris

Uncle Ben
03-04-2007, 08:57 AM
I am sooooo sorry Mike! That is so tough to deal with knowing you won't see your "little buddy" again! We are still grieving for our little dog that was savagely shredded by the evil German Shepard while I was hunting last October. Cherish the memories! :(

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-04-2007, 09:21 AM
i'm sorry mike.
:(

sounds like you cared for her. and she probably knew that.

nuclearlemon
03-04-2007, 09:31 AM
damn...sorry mike. if you need to get drunk, i'll be around after the show. hope to have vehicles home by about 5:30

Hulk
03-04-2007, 10:34 AM
23 years? Wow. That was a long-lived, much-loved cat! Karie and I send our condolences.

"If there are no cats in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
[ Slightly modified Will Rogers quote ]

wesintl
03-04-2007, 10:54 AM
sorry to hear... '84 wow. That's a long time

Romer
03-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Mike, Sorry to hear about your friend. You are lucky she lived such a long healthy life. Rachel and I had to take the best dog we had to the vet and ended up having to put her down at 8 years old because she had advanced Diabetes. Of all the dogs I had, she was the smartest and best dog. We feel your pain and at the same time happy that you and your friend were together for such a long time.

Here is a picture of Max (Maxine) and her pet Guinea Pig

waggoner5
03-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Kelly and I are sorry to hear this. Our animals are part of our family and know how hard it is to go through this.

I will have you a fresh Maine **** kitten in April though. Lillian is definately pregnant and should make some really cool cats. Mom is somewhat small for a Maine ****, but Dad is huge. Over 20lbs and only 1 year old.

"lost horizion" is a term used by my Vet when a dog or cat has lost the ability to use the horizon to stabilize themselves. This happens when they start losing their brain functions. When my Chow started this, it was obvious. She would try to get up and sway badly, usually falling down. She would also have a very blank stare in her eyes. It was heart wrenching. I finally called our vet to come over and give her a shot to put her to sleep while she was in her favorite spot out in the yard.

Red_Chili
03-05-2007, 07:27 AM
Hey Mike- I never met your cat, but what a great cat!
I am a sucker for all things furry. My wife laughs at me- and furry things seem to figure out I am a sucker for them too. Including our neighbor's cat who has adopted me (he is part Labrador Retriever).

Losing them is never easy.

DaveInDenver
03-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Mike, so very sorry to hear about your kitty. We lost one about 2 years ago, but it was more sudden. Anyway, someone sent me this and it helped.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

treerootCO
03-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Found this pic today while working on the Cruise Moab design.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Thank you Ige for helping out last night.

Magoo
03-05-2007, 02:56 PM
dude thats horrible news.i liked that cat,and she was cute as hell.
she had a great dad in you, i saw for myself that you loved her as much as a person can.and thats all a pet can ask for.probably a good reason she lived 23years.hell of a run if you ask me.
take care

PabloCruise
03-06-2007, 09:31 PM
1984 - 2007

Oh no...

I am sorry Mike. :(

Just remember, we don't choose them, they choose us! Your kitty obviously chose wisely.

I like to share this with everyone who has been separated from a friend:

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the "Rainbow Bridge" because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills, and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. Those who are maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other.

There is only one thing missing; they are not with their special person who loved them on Earth. So, each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up! The nose twitches! The ears are up! The eyes are staring! And this one suddenly runs from the group!

You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him/her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again, again, and again and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.

PabloCruise
03-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Mike,

If you ever think about another Kitty, go up to Gary's and see the Maine Coons - they are cool as all get out. We have a male and he is a riot. And they do get big. Lots of fun.

Good Luck!

Rezarf
03-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Mike, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Pets are truly family!

Drew