PDA

View Full Version : Corbeau Source?

Nay
03-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Any 4x4 shops that sell Corbeau seats locally? Corbeau pointed me to a few racing shops, but I really want to see a set of the new Moab seats first hand rather than trying to work though a racing shop.

http://www.corbeau.com/products/moab/moab.shtml#

They look good installed in a 60 and extremely comfortable.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=126444&highlight=corbeau

If I do this, I'll have a set of power FJZ80 leather seats (oak color, which is basically tan) up for sale. Driver's seat cushion was rebuilt and recovered with new leather, plus I have installed Landtank's (from MUD) brackets that allow 2" more rear seat adjustment for huge legroom improvement.

I just happen to prefer a more upright and forward seating position in a truck with a wider and more flat seat. Narrow seats with high bolsters hurt my unpadded hip bones :eek:

PM me with any interest as that may push me to go ahead and do it :D

Thanks,

Nay

Uncle Ben
03-05-2007, 04:20 PM
I think Off Road LTD is a vendor.

ginericLC
03-05-2007, 07:48 PM
I will be interested to see if you get them for your 80 and what your driving impressions are. I'm looking at doing 4 bucket seats in my 80. And since I like thing to look the same I've been looking at aftermarket seats. If I could find a set of grey cloth 93/94 seats in good shape I'd probably go that way.

nakman
03-05-2007, 08:45 PM
unrelated, but check out Pintgauer wheel stand http://www.corbeau.com/sponsor/gallery_13/gallery_13.shtml#

Uncle Ben
03-06-2007, 09:27 AM
I will be interested to see if you get them for your 80 and what your driving impressions are. I'm looking at doing 4 bucket seats in my 80. And since I like thing to look the same I've been looking at aftermarket seats. If I could find a set of grey cloth 93/94 seats in good shape I'd probably go that way.

I personally don't like Corbeau seats. They are built well but they sure don't fit my fat arse!

.....not that there is anything wrong with fat arses....

Man Jerk
03-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Call this guy

Jim Huston. 952-944-2381

http://www.autotoystore.com/contact.html

(prices are discounted from website)

Seriously, I know that it's far away, but he will drop ship whatever you want.

I have never bought from him, but I have heard that he has some screaming deals. I know lots of guys who have gotten seats from him.

Nay
03-07-2007, 12:19 AM

How are you going to do the four buckets? Full internal cage? That would be a cool project that would open up a lot of room in an 80. I have some never used SFI 16.1 5 point harnesses for sale on MUD if you are interested from back when I was foolishly trying to make an XJ into a six seater for 2 adults and 4 kids :rolleyes:

Thanks everybody for the info - I am pretty sure I am going to take a shot at these. Corbeau has agreed to sell direct and give me a full refund if I don't like them. I'd be out shipping, which is no small beans on seats, but since nobody seems to stock these things to sit in them before buying, that's the next best thing and a pretty good offer.

I also don't like most racing seats and really wouldn't consider any of the Corbeau's but these. The Moab seat is designed without a steep side bolster and is about an inch wider than the stock 80 seat by my measurements (20.5" vs. 21.5"). Neoprene is supposed to be very grippy, so sounds like a good solution. But ya just don't know until you plant your arse in them for a 7 hour trip to Moab :blah: :blah: :blah:

I'll post up if I take the plunge...:thumb:

Here's a pic of a set of the cloth/vinyl installed in a 60.

ginericLC
03-07-2007, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't do the neoprene. I'd go with the cloth. Neoprene does not wear well in a Cruiser. I've had two sets of Neoprene seat covers in Cruisers and as much as I liked them. They were hard to clean in the vehicle and held in moisture. I don't have this 4 bucket seat thing figured out yet. I have been looking at Hunsaker Racing Seats too. I want to do at least a 4 point harness and possiblely a 5 point in the rear. I see that Corbeau sells some harnesses with auto retractors. That could be pretty neat. I'm going to try to use like a Celica PS slider for both sides in the rear so I still have access to the cargo area and 3rd rows although I hardly ever use them. The PS sliders slide all the way forward. Seat belts for my kid is what is pushing me to go this way. He doen't have enough leg room to use his car seat or even a booster behind either of the front seats. Originally I was going to cut the middle out of the 2nd row bench and install a PRP junior racing seat in the middle (I have a spare 2nd row so it wasn't going to be a major loss). But it appears we might be having another kid. So I'm going to need two kid friendly seats. At this time I am not planning a cage although I have thought about it many times. I might do a rear only cage to provide mounting for the seats and seatbelts. I have hours of measuring and calculations ahead.

Kevin,

Corbeau makes skinny and wide seats, you might like them more if you sat in the correct seats.

Nay
03-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Appreciate the input on the Neoprene, I have been waffling on that.

I am spending more time in my rig with Landtank's mod installed, and there is an enormous comfort difference with the extra legroom. This complicates rear seat room of course, and I have four kids, so all of those seats are occupied. But it may be enough of a solution...

An 80 would give you a ton of options for rear buckets if you don't use a 3rd row like I do. Would like to see the results of that project.

Uncle Ben
03-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Appreciate the input on the Neoprene, I have been waffling on that.

I am spending more time in my rig with Landtank's mod installed, and there is an enormous comfort difference with the extra legroom. This complicates rear seat room of course, and I have four kids, so all of those seats are occupied. But it may be enough of a solution...

An 80 would give you a ton of options for rear buckets if you don't use a 3rd row like I do. Would like to see the results of that project.

x2 on Landtanks seat mod! My right knee would always bump the overdrive button on the shifter. The comfort level increase was dramatic!

ginericLC
03-07-2007, 11:54 AM
I have cloth seats so they go back further already compared to the leather. The problem is that there isn't enough leg room for my little guy on the side seats. He's OK in the middle but adding another kid further complicates things.

RockRunner
03-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Have you tried High Country 4x4? They have an bunch of seats in their waiting room that you can try out. I am not sure as to the brands but a phone call is all that would take.

The 80 would look killer with 4 buckets in there, wish I could do that. Good luck.

Nay
03-08-2007, 11:09 AM
I have cloth seats so they go back further already compared to the leather. The problem is that there isn't enough leg room for my little guy on the side seats. He's OK in the middle but adding another kid further complicates things.

Yep, there's no room with the seat further back for that 2nd row passenger, and I have the same issue. If you aren't doing four buckets, the best solution is probably a seat that sits up a bit (higher and more forward) so you aren't trying to go back/reclined with the 80 seats to be comfortable.

That's how the Jeep seats are designed where you have about as much legroom as a leather shod 80, and it is my preferred driving position in a truck, especially offroad. Which is why I am looking at the Moab since it is essentially a high quality Jeep seat and the 80 has enough extra headroom.

If legroom is the only real driver to do a second row of buckets I'd take a really hard look at your aftermarket driver's seat options. Going buckets/harnesses is a huge project and one that has to be done properly to ensure safety. I personally wouldn't go to five point harnesses until I have both the seat and harness bolted into a cage (unless you can confirm the floorpan has enough strength at your mount points), and that is a nuts project for a daily driven rig, because at that point I'm probably also going new buckets and five points bolted into the cage for the front seats. But it sure would be cool to 8 point internal cage an 80 and do it :D