PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my lift from Marlin!!!

RockRunner
03-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Need help the weekend of the 23rd March that is.

Unfortunately I am booked for the next two weekends solid so I am going to work on it during my free nights. Then once I have it all prepped I will start the real build on the weekend of the 23rd.

Here is the deal, I can do 80% of the work I just don't feel comfortable with my welding skills. I would like to see if some of you fine welders could come over and guide me and or help me. I have a mig welder and nearly all hand tools needed, if I need more I can get them.

Please Please Please somebody give me a hand. I need to get this done before the CM trip. I was hoping for the lift to have been here already for three weeks but no luck. My next two weekends are taken up by building the St. Patrick's day Parade float for the Parrot-heads or I would have been working those weekends already.

BTW I promise to help others when they are in need or loan my tools, Mig welder and Plasma cutter, Please lend me a hand and get this truck ready for Cruise Moab 007

If you can help please call me at 303-971-1145 Work or 303-829-0703 Cell

And yes there will be beer and food.:beer: :thumb:

Red_Chili
03-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I might be able to... what exactly do you need to weld? What welder do you have, what gas, etc.?

RockRunner
03-06-2007, 02:17 PM
I might be able to... what exactly do you need to weld? What welder do you have, what gas, etc.?

I have a Hobart 140, no gas just straight mig. If it is better to use gas I can get a bottle and hook it up. I am sorta new to welding so I am not sure what will be better.

As for what needs to be welded, well the whole suspension. I am hoping to get it all laid out in the next few weeks after work. Then tack weld it in place so some of the experts can tell me if it looks good or needs to be fixed. Once it is correct then it will need to be welded in place.

I will take any help that is being offered, an experienced eye or a person who has done this already.

Man Jerk
03-06-2007, 03:05 PM
My guess would be front spring hanger, shackle tubes, and shock mounts.

What do I win :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

RockRunner
03-06-2007, 03:18 PM
My guess would be front spring hanger, shackle tubes, and shock mounts.

What do I win :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mark, for your price...............You get to come help me :thumb:

Unless ofcoure you want the other price :blah:

Red_Chili
03-06-2007, 03:24 PM
It's not a SAS though... it started out in life as an '85.
I am betting: front spring hangers, and perhaps rear spring hangers for longer springs, and shock mounts. Hope you went with the $12 Ford shock towers!

Tom, if you went with the All-Pro style spring hangers in the front (extra drop-down), you will need some frame bracing as well to prevent cracking. Don't know if Marlin follows the AP design (from Chris Geiger before he left) or something closer to Front Range Offroad.

If the timing works out, I'll bring my Miller over. Argon gas, known tool, that kinda thing.

RockRunner
03-06-2007, 03:55 PM
It's not a SAS though... it started out in life as an '85.
I am betting: front spring hangers, and perhaps rear spring hangers for longer springs, and shock mounts. Hope you went with the $12 Ford shock towers!

Tom, if you went with the All-Pro style spring hangers in the front (extra drop-down), you will need some frame bracing as well to prevent cracking. Don't know if Marlin follows the AP design (from Chris Geiger before he left) or something closer to Front Range Offroad.

If the timing works out, I'll bring my Miller over. Argon gas, known tool, that kinda thing.

I did not go for the ford towers, I got a really good deal on the Marlin so I just kept his stuff.

I have extra steel that I bought today as a matter of fact for some of that. It is 3/16" 2x2' sheet. I also have some tubing and 1x1 sqaure stock and some other stuff.

Like I said any help I can get I appreciate, I will work around your time if needed. I just don't feel comfertable enough welding my own suspension with the skills I have. If it was only me fine but since the wife drives it more than I do I better ask for help.

Give me a call when you can Work 303-977-5406 or cell 303-829-0703

I will also be at the meeting tomorrow night, I am just getting nervous because I only have 6-8 weekends to work on it and I am not sure what extra stuff is going to come up.

Man Jerk
03-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Weekend of the 23rd huh? Maybe I'll come help, but you don't want my booger welds on your truck. I'm still waiting for a call from another friend telling me that my welds failed on his truck :lmao:

RockRunner
03-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Weekend of the 23rd huh? Maybe I'll come help, but you don't want my booger welds on your truck. I'm still waiting for a call from another friend telling me that my welds failed on his truck :lmao:

If your welds are that bad you can serve the beer, how is that??? :beer: JK, my welds don't look great either but I am more worried about getting penetration, seems I always worry about that :eek:

Any help is appreciated even if it is just an extra set of eyes.:D

Man Jerk
03-06-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm good at drinking beer.

:blah:

If it would make any sense to be there then I will try. I will hopefully be picking up a 4 runner, so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to see it done.

RockRunner
03-06-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm good at drinking beer.

:blah:

If it would make any sense to be there then I will try. I will hopefully be picking up a 4 runner, so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to see it done.

Extra hands and eyes are always welcome. And there will be beer, I like beer!!:beer: :beer:

Red_Chili
03-07-2007, 08:36 AM
I did not go for the ford towers, I got a really good deal on the Marlin so I just kept his stuff.

I have extra steel that I bought today as a matter of fact for some of that. It is 3/16" 2x2' sheet. I also have some tubing and 1x1 sqaure stock and some other stuff.

Like I said any help I can get I appreciate, I will work around your time if needed. I just don't feel comfertable enough welding my own suspension with the skills I have. If it was only me fine but since the wife drives it more than I do I better ask for help.

Give me a call when you can Work 303-977-5406 or cell 303-829-0703

I will also be at the meeting tomorrow night, I am just getting nervous because I only have 6-8 weekends to work on it and I am not sure what extra stuff is going to come up.
Sounds like bringing the plasma cutter over as well might save some hacksaw elbow... Got grinder?

RockRunner
03-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Sounds like bringing the plasma cutter over as well might save some hacksaw elbow... Got grinder?

Bill, I have a plasma cutter. I have the Hobart 400, it handled 1/4" just fine. I don't think I have anything thicker than that.

I have a grinder and am buying more discs for it today.

If there are any other special tools needed let me know and I will try to get them or may have them. I need to buy some "clamps" to hold the items in place. I used just regular metal C clamps and some others before and it worked OK but will buy some of the others too.

BTW what kind of beer do you prefer?? :beer: :beer: I'll make sure I have your favorite on hand. As for lunch stuff I will make sure it is something good and hardy.;)

Uncle Ben
03-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Bill, I have a plasma cutter. I have the Hobart 400, it handled 1/4" just fine. I don't think I have anything thicker than that.

I have a grinder and am buying more discs for it today.

If there are any other special tools needed let me know and I will try to get them or may have them. I need to buy some "clamps" to hold the items in place. I used just regular metal C clamps and some others before and it worked OK but will buy some of the others too.

BTW what kind of beer do you prefer?? :beer: :beer: I'll make sure I have your favorite on hand. As for lunch stuff I will make sure it is something good and hardy.;)

I will bring a few extra vice grip welding clamps to the meeting tonight you can use.....I have lots!

Red_Chili
03-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Anything dark and not overly hoppy. Can't commit for sure at this point, but I can sure try.:thumb:
And I can't let a fellow wheeler down!

RockRunner
03-07-2007, 05:33 PM
I will bring a few extra vice grip welding clamps to the meeting tonight you can use.....I have lots!

Thanks, that will help a ton. Money seems to be going faster than it is coming in.

RockRunner
03-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Anything dark and not overly hoppy. Can't commit for sure at this point, but I can sure try.:thumb:
And I can't let a fellow wheeler down!

Understand, if it does not work maybe another date. So far you are the only person who volunteered that welds. At least that is what it looks like.

Red_Chili
03-08-2007, 08:35 AM
No problem, Tom. The whole thing sounds quite doable. The steering box will be the trickiest part, but not so bad. Done in a short day if you've got everything prepped.

RockRunner
03-08-2007, 08:50 AM
No problem, Tom. The whole thing sounds quite doable. The steering box will be the trickiest part, but not so bad. Done in a short day if you've got everything prepped.

You are a life saver :thumb:

Red_Chili
03-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Just a thought- if you tack things in place like you described last night, be sure to grind off the mill scale from the new bits as well as the frame paint, etc. Losing the mill scale will make a much better quality weld. And will increase the chances of me not making goober welds! :D