PDA

View Full Version : Tool rental in Denver

MDH33
03-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion of somewhere in or around Denver that I can rent oversized jack stands? I need to drop my front axle this weekend and my stands are too short and I don't trust my hydraulic.

Thanks.

:thumb: :beer:

corsair23
03-08-2007, 05:32 PM
How big is oversized?

I've got a Sears/Craftsman jack and jack stands you're welcome to borrow. I will have to admit though that I'm not sure what model they are. I'm pretty sure they are the 2 1/2 ton models. Whatever it is has no trouble raising my Durango so weight wise it should be fine for you but not sure about height.

Let me know

treerootCO
03-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Swing by my place. I just bought 4 of the 12 ton, and have 4 of the 6 ton jack stands after the two my dad gave me. Free to borrow :) 38th and Wads

corsair23
03-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Swing by my place. I just bought 4 of the 12 ton, and have 4 of the 6 ton jack stands after the two my dad gave me. Free to borrow :) 38th and Wads

He's got me beat by many tons :D

MDH33
03-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks guys. :bowdown:

They need to be tall enough to hold the frame and allow the springs to fully drop so I can cut the ubolts off. Sounds like Mikes will do the trick. Four of them to prop all four corners would be ideal.

Mike, would Friday after 5 work? If not, name a good time.:cheers:

treerootCO
03-08-2007, 06:12 PM
sounds good to me.

Rezarf
03-08-2007, 06:38 PM
I have another 2 of the 6 ton if you need a few more.

Drew

coax
08-31-2009, 12:21 PM
Hi All,
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but figured I'd keep my question contained in a similar thread.

I'm in in the process of finishing up a crank seal replacement, and am trying to find a place that rents a 3/4 drive torque wrench. I called Advance, Autozone and Checker and no luck. Any recommendations on tool rental in North Denver/Boulder(or even Fort Collins) area?:confused:

Thanks,
Corey

Beater
08-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Hi All,
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but figured I'd keep my question contained in a similar thread.

I'm in in the process of finishing up a crank seal replacement, and am trying to find a place that rents a 3/4 drive torque wrench. I called Advance, Autozone and Checker and no luck. Any recommendations on tool rental in North Denver/Boulder(or even Fort Collins) area?:confused:

Thanks,
Corey

why not just buy a 1/2 to 3/4 adapter?

coax
08-31-2009, 12:40 PM
why not just buy a 1/2 to 3/4 adapter?

Unfortunately my 1/2 torque wrench only goes up to 250, and that bolt goes on with ~305 ft/lbs. So I guess really the 1/2 vs. 3/4 doesn't matter so much, just the higher ft/lb rating.

Corey

nakman
08-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Is this the crank pulley bolt? Holy crap that's a high torque. That sounds like a N-m number (305 N-m is 225 ft-lbf).

c'mon Dave you can come up with a better answer than that... how about using a 10' pole as a breaker bar? Is that straight math? :D

Hulk
08-31-2009, 01:45 PM
I, too, will be needing a giant torque wrench for the crank pulley replacement for my SC. It is indeed 305 ft-lbs.

coax
08-31-2009, 02:09 PM
How long is a 3/4" torque wrench? It would have to be 3 or 4 feet long I'd guess! My 1/2" goes up to 150 ft-lbf and is 18" long and making it pop on my crank bolt (which is 157 N-m, 116 ft-lbf) requires that I push against the driver's tire and still the mighty Hilux drivetrain winds up a little. To be honest, I'd guess that a 24" breaker bar with a pipe on it and giving it all you got would end up with pretty much the right torque, no matter what it really is.

My guess is your right (and I did buy a 3/4 breaker with a HUGE pipe to get the freakin thing off), but from what folks are saying on mud the torque needs to be somewhat exact as the oil pump isnt keyed on the crank and requires this huge amount of torque to clamp in place.

If anyone with a 3/4 torque wrench finds themself in Estes Park and wants to drink free beer while watching me bash my knuckles on a fender, let me know :D