PDA

View Full Version : dash blank CB handset holder

nakman
03-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Some of you know I've been drawing up & direct manufacturing various nylon parts over the past few months.. I think this one is my best (most practical) ideas yet. Basically a switch blank that will pop into any 80 series (or 3rd gen Runner) blank, ideally the center console, then hold your handset for CB or Ham radio. Or for the ultra-nerdy, both. :rolleyes: :o

Basically took my "dash blank" design and extruded a deal that will encapsulate the round thing on the back of your handset, then added a *ahem* tit to secure it in place when stowed. That's actually a professional term kids.. I've been in many machine shops and everyone uses it, so it must be politically correct. :)

Pics are of the nylon parts as they come out of the machine (after a little cleaning), then I tried using a new "hammered" paint for plastics this time. The color match is ok, not perfect, but since these will almost always be covered up by radio handsets who cares. Of couse they pop right in and word like champs.. could also be used in that area left of the steering column, probably not above the heater though since the lip of the dash sticks out too far.

Sorry LX guys, you don't have switches in your center console so you can't play :lmao: :D enjoy...

corsair23
03-10-2007, 12:40 AM
Tim,

Pretty darn slick! Betcha us LX450 boyz could play if you made 'em in black and we either used it on the left side of the dash or if you made the 'tit' 90 degrees off from what it is now and may had it stick out a little more to clear the lip above the environmental controls or below by the rear heater control :)

Hants
03-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Sweet, Tim!

I'm sure you could find someone that would be willing do "test" out an LX450 version... ;)

Beater
03-10-2007, 06:22 PM
I'll take 3 !

let me know how much you want.

Convert
03-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Nakman I would like a couple as well:thumb:

Uncle Ben
03-10-2007, 11:17 PM
I will take one.

AxleIke
03-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Some of you know I've been drawing up & direct manufacturing various nylon parts over the past few months.. .

what else have you been making? These look killer, just was wondering what other stuff you might be able to make.

nakman
03-11-2007, 04:39 PM
what else have you been making? These look killer, just was wondering what other stuff you might be able to make.

Most recently has been the headlight retainers (http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=134383) for the John Deere bulbs, before that some other dashboard switches (http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=126991), and a switch bezel that replaces the cupholder... that's the project that led to this one.

I've got one tiny tweak to prove out this week, then I'll run a bunch of these.. and figure out costs. thanks for the support guys! :cheers:

nakman
04-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Ok I think I've come up with a way for you 450 guys to play, but it involves replacing your cup holder with my "switch bezel." Yeah I know you like to put your latte in there, but we both know that wheeling with a latte in there just means more latte in your stereo head unit, not much in your belly. Your drink is either in your aftermarket cup holder, on in the one by your butt.. and it's two freaking philips screws so at a red light on your way to wheeling just pull this from the glovebox and swap it out for pete's sake. Or have your passenger do it.. :blah:

alright on with the pics...

Hants
04-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Sweet! Yes, please, I NEED one! :)

Could it also be used for an additional switch holder in addition to the mic mount?

I'm preparing for both a Ham and CB: Could one put a mic mount, say, where your CDL is, and another on the Nak-o-matic-splendiforous-latte-holder-replacement, and move the CDL to be in the other plug of the NOMSLHR?

It looks like two mic's next to each other would be a tight fit.

nakman
04-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Cool, you got it Hants. And yes, you could do all of that.

But you could also use a slot that's left of your steering column, then use one of the vertical holders. If you wanted one on that side, that is.. lots of options :)

corsair23
04-04-2007, 03:10 PM
VERY slick! Whenever you are ready to produce some I'm ready to buy one :)

Tim "The Toolman" has done it again! This is like Home Improvement for Toyotas :D

Snorkel 1
04-20-2007, 02:04 AM
I am impressed Nakman. I checked out your other creations on MUD as well. I have a idea I will run by you in the next couple weeks. I need to think it out a little further first.

nakman
04-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Hey cool Seth, sorry I didn't see this until today (been a little busy.. ) :rolleyes: but yeah send me your idea when it's ready, I'll even sign an NDA if you think it's a real goodin.

And I was painting up all the parts for the "Hants setup" in the garage tonight, we're all set. :beer:

Hants
04-26-2007, 08:14 AM
And I was painting up all the parts for the "Hants setup" in the garage tonight, we're all set. :beer:

Wow, we're getting into Named configurations. :cool:

Can't wait for CM to check it out!!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

nakman
05-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Wow, we're getting into Named configurations. :cool:

Can't wait for CM to check it out!!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Hants, did you get yours all set up yet? I put some together tonight, this is clearly the ideal setup man good thought. Had to cut the electrical tape that's encapsulating the wiring harness that feeds the CDL, Hazard, Antenna, and Defrost back quite a bit, then I was able to route the hazard wire behind the mounting feature of the dash (above the stereo, left side). When you look back there you'll see what I mean, but this allowed the wire for the hazard to run straight back, and everything to fit in nicely. If you put both the CB holders in the new cupholder bezel they're too close together, as you found out in Moab.. but moving the hazard in there seems to make this really work well.

So now I've typically got both handsets down at the center console (sorry LX dudes) most of the time, but when I need to grab something out of the hole, or if I need the biggie cupholder, or look for a gas receipt, etc. I can just move them up to the dash. Or put one up, one down, or whatever, as I've got lots of options..

And I've got a few extras of everything, so I guess what the heck start PMing me your orders if you're interested. "center console" CB holders and "dash" CB holders $5 each, "cupholder bezels" $20.. Rising Sun members get 1 free CB holder with purchase of cupholder bezel. And remember kids those cupholder bezels will only work in 95-97 80's (LX or LC) but you non-2nd start guys can still use the center console ones. Also specify brown, silver, or flat black. :D

Hants
05-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Hants, did you get yours all set up yet?

<hijack>
Nope... my baby is in the shop. Estimate so far is $3,800. :eek: Don't know yet if they have to work on the A pillar.

KBB says its worth $12.5K and $13.5K (private party), so I'm not too worried about insurance totaling it.

Gotta like good insurance. Free-to-me rental car, and $250 deductible. :)

They'll be replacing the quarter panel & door with new OEM. Insurance had them check for used, but none were found. I'm wondering how they're going to match the desert racing stripes??? Buff the *hit out of the rest of the body, or get some branches and apply liberal elbow grease to the new panels? ;)

</hijack>

Hants
05-18-2007, 09:20 AM
I'll be digging in to the dash upgrade when I get her back. :)

nuclearlemon
07-09-2007, 06:03 PM
did my nakman cb mod last night...

nakman
07-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Hey looks good! But if you want to trade for a gray one let me know.. ;)

Romer
07-16-2007, 07:18 PM
I cut the backside off of one of the black ones and JB welded it to the cup holder. It works great and I still get to use the cupholder. I showed it to TIM on saturday.

Tim, I need a couple more of those. One for my CB and then one for Sarah's truck.

Romer
07-20-2007, 09:49 PM
I finished my modified version of Tim's Mic holders tonight. I cut the backside off of both. I used JB weld to glue one to the front of the cup holder. I had to dremel the bootom part off to ne flush with the bottom of the bracket so the cupholder would open and close easily. I then glued one to the side of my PocketPC bracket. They work great.

I need to touch it up with some paint.

I had to keep the cup holder for the latte's since I have a Lexus you know.

I know there are a bunch of wires behind the Dell. I wraped up the wires there for the Dell and GPS. Can't see them there from the drivers seat and that's the only perspective that matters:D

Thanks Tim for another great mod.