PDA

View Full Version : So I welded my eyes shut...

treerootCO
03-19-2007, 06:26 AM
I have a sunburn on my eyelids from welding. I don't think I have ever done that before. This is my psa for the day :hill:

treerootCO
03-19-2007, 06:31 AM
That is with my eyes open. I am guessing Perry looks about the same after St Patrick's day. :lmao:

Beater
03-19-2007, 06:34 AM
potato slices.... seriously. just like you see photo's of women with cucumbers on their eyes..

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-19-2007, 07:22 AM
:confused:

welding without a helmet mike?
i'll do quick fills without a helmet, but not look right at it......YIKES!!

hope your eyes are ok....

Uncle Ben
03-19-2007, 07:33 AM
That is with my eyes open. I am guessing Perry looks about the same after St Patrick's day. :lmao:

Looks like Perry beforeSt.Pat's day! :lmao: :lmao: :perry:

treerootCO
03-19-2007, 07:33 AM
This was a few quick fills without the helmet. Usually just tack welds and I never look at the light:eek: It really hurts so I don't think I'll be doing that again.

nakman
03-19-2007, 08:32 AM
I was watching one of those Monster Garage shows a few weeks ago.. it was a Hotrod one. Anyway this guy was welding with no helmet & no mask, just eye glasses. Every time he'd zap it he'd just close his eyes, so he'd line it up, blink, pull the trigger. Line it up, blink, pull the trigger. He was actually pretty good and was doing sheet metal on an El Camino tailgate.. got in a fight with the boss later on in the show.

Jenny Cruiser
03-19-2007, 08:45 AM
BTDT - Never burned my eyelids, but did burn my face while wearing goggles because they were easier to weld with in the tight spots on the Scout. I know an old bodyman that almost never wears a helmet. He just squints. Been doing it for years and can still see. I don't know how. :eek:

Beater
03-19-2007, 10:25 AM
This was a few quick fills without the helmet. Usually just tack welds and I never look at the light:eek: It really hurts so I don't think I'll be doing that again.

you just need to build up more scar tissue.. it is a pain like no other...

wesintl
03-19-2007, 10:34 AM
I've burned my actual eyes once out on the snow pack. I'm sure eyelids are just a painful.

My eyes watered all day and night and was so painful.

treerootCO
03-19-2007, 10:38 AM
...hurts something fierce :o

Uncle Ben
03-19-2007, 10:45 AM

That has to be nasty! Welding sunburns hurt sooooo bad....can't imagine one on the lids! Good luck with that sir!

Uncle Ben
03-19-2007, 10:48 AM

Get an good auto darkning helmet....makes life very easy! Worth thier weight in gold! ....then again for a good one you will pay for thier weight in gold!

isotel
03-19-2007, 01:29 PM
yea, but for the amount of welding that a typical hobbyist dose, i just picked up the $50 one from Harbor Freight.. works fine for the couple of hours a month that i will be using it..

after using an auto darkening, i cant go back to the old style!

Shark Bait
03-19-2007, 01:36 PM

I would think having doctor look you over would not be a bad thing. :eek:

Chris
03-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Another one of those "Hmm, I'll never do that again!" things.

Flash burns on both eyes welding many years ago, spent 24 hours blind.

Yep, just that once.

Hang in there, tomorrow will be a better day.

IanB
03-19-2007, 02:08 PM

I bet. I once decided, in my infinite wisdom, that since TIG has no splatter (I was welding in shorts and tevas) and it was hot as hell in the garage that I didn't need a t-shirt to weld either. First degree arc flash burns :eek:

treerootCO
03-19-2007, 02:25 PM
I would think having doctor look you over would not be a bad thing. :eek:

Forced OT from now to 10:00pm then 10:00pm to 2:00am then 3:00am to 7:30pm and then more....

Why did the government change DST? Why....? It's like Y2K all over again...

Red_Chili
03-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Mike, be careful. That UV will burn now, and do nasty things later. Like basal cell carcinoma. You definitely do NOT want that going on with your eyelids, as it simply has to be cut off before it destroys all the remaining tissue!
Ask me how I know.... nice scar on my nose.

Aloe vera will do wonders in the short run.

But did I learn? no... I got a light sunburn from plasma cutting doing my son's SAS, used the dark glasses designed for plasma - but got the sunburn. Told me I still was not careful enough.

Darn ancestors living in the fog their whole lives.......

treerootCO
03-23-2007, 04:18 AM
People pay good money for chemical peels. This was much cheaper and even does the eyelids :D

IanB
03-23-2007, 07:58 AM
People pay good money for chemical peels. This was much cheaper and even does the eyelids :D

Interesting business model, MIG based beauty treatments :D

Beater
03-23-2007, 08:32 AM
make sure on plasma glasses, that you utilize ones with full ultraviolet a/b filtration, in addition to the shade 8. shade 5 for acetylene may not be enough. I feel it is with a&b, without it though, forget it.

j

Red_Chili
03-23-2007, 10:58 AM
These were made for plasma.
Didn't do anything for the rest of my face though!
Mask next time if I'm doing anything as extensive as a SAS.

treerootCO
04-23-2007, 08:39 AM
ok, I wore my mask for all but a few tacks this weekend and I did it again! I guess it is time for a new mask. This hurts.:hill:

timmbuck2
04-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Are you sure it was't the meteorite you saw Friday night? :p:

T

ok, I wore my mask for all but a few tacks this weekend and I did it again! I guess it is time for a new mask. This hurts.:hill:

treerootCO
04-23-2007, 11:40 PM
It is official, I have arc eye. Good lord this hurts.

I do think I figured out what is doing it though. I was pretty good about using my helmet when welding. It is the glasses that came with the torch that are not protecting my eyes. I believe the UV goes right through them. My eyes feel like there is sand in them and it really hurts to look at bright lights.

treerootCO
04-24-2007, 01:05 PM
I went to the doc today and he drilled out a nice piece of metal from my eye. It had been there awhile and had began to rust. All the rust needed to be drilled out. Good times.

isotel
04-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Rust.. Drilled. Eye. Those words dont need to be together! Dam man that sucks.. gota love the dangers of building stuff, lol

Uncle Ben
04-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Where in the world could you have encountered rusty metal? :rolleyes: :p:

bustanutley
04-24-2007, 01:38 PM
I went to the doc today and he drilled out a nice piece of metal from my eye. It had been there awhile and had began to rust. All the rust needed to be drilled out. Good times.

haha, told you that would be a good time, should have touched wood when i was telling you that story.

Hulk
04-24-2007, 02:09 PM
Back in the 80s, I got some rust in one of my contact lenses. That was when a single lens was like $120. But that was far better than getting my eye drilled!