PDA

View Full Version : Trail Rules/Etiquette

Shorty
03-19-2007, 11:15 AM
I have a question for ya'll:

The other day, a couple of buddies and I were running LeftHand Canyon. We were heading downhill and met a group of vehicles coming up. I politely asked the lead driver if there was any place for his group to pull over because we had not passed any wide spots for about a mile. The place where we had stopped was wide enough, but not for 3 vehicles. The lead driver gave me an emphatic "No, we have the right-of-way, and I will NOT back up 7 vehicles for your 3. You HAVE to move."

We tried a couple of times to get our vehicles off the road, but the wide place where we were had a lot of snow so we would slide back onto the trail. Like I said, we tried several times, but couldn't get the trucks to stay put.

Meanwhile, one of their crew came up to us yelling, screaming, and cursing telling us to get out of the way. With the help of some of their guys pushing by hand, we were able to get all 3 of our vehicles off the road enough for them to get around.

After they got past us and we started downhill again, we found that they would have had to back up no more than 50 yards to allow us to pull off on a side road.

I realize that the vehicles travelling uphill have the right-of-way, but I thought that it was not an absolute rule. Instead, the interested parties should try to work out a solution even if it means that the uphill group has to back up. Is this true? What do ya'll think? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Can't we all just get along? Shorty

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-19-2007, 12:18 PM
i have a feeling they were all in thier "heeps" i could be wrong.

i'm not sure about a absolute law, but yes, they should have rolled back if they had a spot so close to them.

treerootCO
03-19-2007, 12:19 PM
That is one of the many reasons I prefer not to wheel Left Hand. That same situation on any other trail would have been handled differently.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-19-2007, 12:34 PM
years ago i we had a situation where we had a rig hung up on a log, a group came up behing us (every one was a "not a cruiser")
the leader of the clan refused to hook his winch up and give us a quick pull (it would have taken no more than 2 minutes)
so we had to bring another rig down from above to pull it off the log.
20 minutes later.

the tard said that he saw TOYOTAS BREAKING AXLES all day the week before at the same spot.
i told him not today pal, we have them up ahead already.
:thumb: :thumb:

JadeRunner
03-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Those guys were total chumps. My experience when the trail is tight with normal, courteous and intelligent wheelers is that the group with the closest and easiest spot to get too - moves in that direction. And that is usually discussed with the other trail leader, since you usually won't know the closest pull off from the other direction or the size of the other group.

I also put a lot of weight on the size of the group since pulling off the trail to let people by usually tears up the trail a bit. I'm usually in the situation where our group is larger and a pull off spot for the other group of 1-3 rigs isn't that difficult to find. Therefore, I would suggest the other group get off the trail for us regardless of the direction of travel.

I believe the "uphill has right away" comes into play, and originated from situations in slick conditions where you can't stop and go again and the uphill person needs to maintain momentum to keep going, yet the downhill person could find a place ease to a stop.

Myredyota
03-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Thank you for reinforcing to us what we already knew. :bowdown: It was a touchy situation for a while. My GPS shows that we were there for over 30 minutes! 2 of their group had already turned around and left! One thing that amazed me was how nobody in the other group told their "friend" to calm down.

As far as Left Hand goes, been there, done that, don't need to do it again! Most of the rest of the day was fun...

Red_Chili
03-20-2007, 08:10 AM
So he quotes 'rules' (which are actually just guidelines to help figure out what to do) when he thinks it will give him power.

Somehow I think the rules become infinitely flexible when he is on the other end of them.

I'd hate to see what his GF/wife's life is like... Control freak.

Uncle Ben
03-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Most trail users are friendly and show respect towards one another in my experiances. There are a few exceptions (read "A-Holes") out there that really support the "Need a reality thump" theory. My guess is the "leader" you delt with was well known on the Colorado4x4.org forum and had to keep up his bad arse image that really only exists in his own mind. I have run into "forum" groups before with similer results and the ego borne stupidity is overwhelming! Of course I am not slamming the co4x4 forum specifically! I have met and wheeled with some very cool folks from that forum. I have also encountered some rogue groups from that same forum that embarrase me to know they are representing 4 wheelers as a whole to the public eye. I am sorry you had the misfortune to come head to head with with the non typicle type of 'wheelers! All you can do is ignore them and do what you know is right and will cause the least amount of damage to you and the trail. :rant: :cheers:

nakman
03-20-2007, 02:23 PM
So who's got a link to the "3 jerks in Toyotas who wouldn't pull over" thread?

Myredyota
03-20-2007, 11:46 PM
So who's got a link to the "3 jerks in Toyotas who wouldn't pull over" thread?

I did not tell Mark until we were airing back up that the "jerk" called his 40 a Jeep! :grinpimp: Why stir the pot?

Oh yeah, we did have one nice Jeep with us. :p:

nakman
03-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Well like they say in golf, "it's not the arrow, it's the indian."