PDA

View Full Version : A BIG Thanks to Bill Morgan and his friend Dave

RockRunner
03-25-2007, 10:46 PM
I just wanted to thank Bill and his friend Dave publicly. I started the build on my 4Runner and hoped to have it ready for Bill to weld up Saturday. Well as many of you know you can hope and plan all you want, there will always be a snag. I hit a few last week and come Saturday I was pretty far behind.

Bill and Dave came over around 8 am, yes 8 am, and went to work. I was to have the suspension tacked in place so Bill could weld it up and be done. Well, I didn't. I still had parts to cut off, areas to grind and positions to check. Bill and Dave dove right in and parts started flying and metal was sizzling. I did tack up the rear spring hangers but late at night I did not do the bests of jobs. Now, the suspension is hanging and the axles in place sort of.

I still have some items that need to be mounted but last night everyone had enough, I can't believe they stayed that late. Bill graciously offered to come over one more time to finish it up, this time it will all be in place.

It was truly a joy to watch Bill work, he made sure that every weld he laid was perfect and if it wasn't it would end up perfect. I can't wait to give those welds a workout:D

Dave was a great help too, he is one of Bill's riding buddies and shares the same desire for perfection as Bill does. Dave ended up doing a ton of grinding and anytime there was a mess or some tolls laying around he was all over it making it a joy to work in our little two car garage.

Bill and Dave, thanks again for helping me out. I truly appreciate it and it won't be forgotten. :cheers:

PS The only casualty for the day was a tire on my wifes new FJ. Seems when cutting parts late Friday night in the driveway I left the stabelizer bar mount in the driveway. When my wife came home she drive over it. Saturday she went to take the dogs for a walk and took her FJ. As she pulled out and drove of soemthing sounded funny, seems there was a sharp metal piece in her tire............no idea where that came from:o . Luckly she took it in stride, guess where I will be Monday morning???:rolleyes:

Not bad for all the tools we used.

Red_Chili
03-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Aw... shucks... :p::o

Things were a lot closer to 'ready to go' than I thought they would be, Tom! Not cuz of you... because of the second law of thermomorganisms: the readiness of projects always moves in reverse to one's efforts to herd cats.

Or something like that...

We'll see how well the parts stay on at Moab!

Tramontana
03-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Wow, my very first RisingSun post!

I guess it's all down hill from here eh?:D

It really was my pleasure to help out. Wrenching with good mates is cathartic to me, and I enjoyed it all. I envy you two having two car garages to work in. Mine is quite a bit smaller, and not nearly as well equiped, but I'm working on it.

Cheers to getting RockRunner back on all fours (and out of the garage?)!

RockRunner
03-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Bill,

You are right things do go in reverse for some reason. I hope to test the parts out before Moab so I can work out any bugs. I don't think your work will have any bugs.

Dave,

Thanks again for the help. If you ever need any of the toys we used last weekend just let me know. you can either borrow them or come over and we can work on it at my house. Did you try the pants on yet? I hope they fit, if not pass them on to another rider. I rather have somebody use them instead of them sitting in the basement being worthless.

Ron Helmuth
03-26-2007, 11:14 AM
sorry I could not make it over and watch Bill in action-

I lost your posting end of last week and could not locate where the work was taking place...I am still learning this Internet stuff and finally have access at my home.

Red_Chili
03-26-2007, 11:16 AM
This is very dangerous for Tramontana to hang out here... his Taco is shaking in its boots now, every time he looks at it with *that* look... :D

RockRunner
03-26-2007, 03:10 PM
sorry I could not make it over and watch Bill in action-

I lost your posting end of last week and could not locate where the work was taking place...I am still learning this Internet stuff and finally have access at my home.

No worries, we had plenty of work but the area was small so we were sort of stepping on each other. I was hoping for nice weather so we could work outside too but the rain kept us in.

Maybe when we finish it up you can come by and watch Bill lay some real nice beads. Not sure when yet, it all depends on Bill.

RockRunner
03-26-2007, 03:11 PM
This is very dangerous for Tramontana to hang out here... his Taco is shaking in its boots now, every time he looks at it with *that* look... :D

His Taco may be shaking but his wife is shaking her head. That makes Dave shake............

Red_Chili
03-27-2007, 07:43 AM
AND... she is an accountant!

:eek:

Tom, let me know when you are ready. Shouldn't take too long to zap the shock hoops. IIRC, that's all that remains...

RockRunner
03-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Will do, I have to take the tank back on Monday as it belongs to a customer. Is there a day that is better for you between now and then? I have a hockey game on Wednesday and a party on Saturday from 4 till ??? any other time I am free.

I am going to go into the garage tonight to clean all the areas and prep so that this time all that needs to be done is the welding. I got some more nuts for the U bolt so that is ready to go. If you have an angle finder that you were needing can you bring that over for the rear axle?

Here is a list of things left to weld;

Shock hoops (front)
Rear shock mounts (top and bottom)
Rear shackle mounts
Stabilizer mounts
Sliders??? Depends on Body lift (still deciding :confused:)

I think that is it unless you remember something.

Let me know what works best for you.

BTW I am working on a nice garage unit for you, looks like I may be able to get a T-40. I'll let you know more when I get a final answer.

Red_Chili
03-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Looks like Thursday afternoon/evening might have the least family environmental impact. When do you get home from work?

Do you want to follow the original shock layout, or a / \ arrangement like mine? The kit is designed around the original layout and looks to use the stock upper shock mounts. This would be easiest. I'd call Marlin though for advice.

RockRunner
03-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Thursday should work for me, I will try to get out of work early. Normally I get home around 4:30 but I will try to get there around 2:30 to get everything set up. What time can you be there?

As for the shocks, I would like to do / \ but would need to find a tube. I may have one, I will see what I can get done beforehand if not we just go with the stock set up. I can move it later when I can lay nice beads like you :D

LMK what you need and or want and we'll go from there.

PS I still have Guiness left, not much but some ;) :cheers:

Looks like Thursday afternoon/evening might have the least family environmental impact. When do you get home from work?

Do you want to follow the original shock layout, or a / \ arrangement like mine? The kit is designed around the original layout and looks to use the stock upper shock mounts. This would be easiest. I'd call Marlin though for advice.

Red_Chili
03-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Actually, I have to meet a contractor at 3... so 4:30 might just be realistic!

My beads aren't nearly as nice as John Henley's or Mike Caskey's BTW...

RockRunner
03-28-2007, 02:12 PM
4:30 works for me. I tacked the shock hoops and supports into place and cleaned the front axle where the stabilezer will mount. I will try to set up the steering stuff tonight and clean the rear axle for the rear shocks.

I got a big piece of angle iron that I will cut to size for the rear shocks. I took a look last night, thinking I would use some round stock but was unable to find a piece that would work. Plan is to cut the angle iron to size, put two plates at the end so it can be welded to the frame. Then cut a piece of scrap and mount it to the center section of the angle iron. Drill soe holes in the piece and it should be good to go. i plan on having that all ready for you.

BTW since you will be coming over around dinner time do you want/need some dinner? I can offer you some home made green chili if you like it hot or we can always get a pizza. LMK what you think.

farnhamstj
03-28-2007, 02:43 PM
How about a photo or two?

Red_Chili
03-28-2007, 03:07 PM
OK, I'll try to bring my wife's camera... Tom, can you take some shots?

RockRunner
03-28-2007, 05:55 PM
I can do that, my wife has the camera right now but will take some tomorrow. I will upload some of the shots we took earlier too.

OK, I'll try to bring my wife's camera... Tom, can you take some shots?

farnhamstj
03-28-2007, 08:11 PM
I went by Christo's shop last week to drool on the 100 solid axle swap they're working on. Makes a 4runner swap look like cake. Wish I could bribe a couple guys with some beer,pizza,chili,.... to do mine. Maybe I can put a front axle from a 78series in my carry on luggage on the way home from Australia.

bh4rnnr
03-28-2007, 08:29 PM
I went by Christo's shop last week to drool on the 100 solid axle swap they're working on. Makes a 4runner swap look like cake. Wish I could bribe a couple guys with some beer,pizza,chili,.... to do mine. Maybe I can put a front axle from a 78series in my carry on luggage on the way home from Australia.

I'm an easy man, just need to get me from D-town to Vail:hill: :beer: :beer: , Oh, and the welds won't be as good as, let
s say, Nick Inay's:eek: :beer: :beer:

RockRunner
03-29-2007, 12:03 AM

If I can I would help you, the problem I have is the welding but I am working on that.

Red_Chili
03-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Farnham, all you have to do is bribe me, deliver the truck and parts, and avert your eyes....:eek::lmao::weld::flop: