PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Rollcage for FJ40

colinmcgoo
03-27-2007, 11:46 AM
I jsut started a new FJ40 project. The vehicle is a 1969 40 mostly original. I am looking for a roll cage, preferably the original Toyota rollcage.

Thanks,

Colin

treerootCO
03-27-2007, 11:52 AM
Ige probably knows the exact year but I think the early ones did not have roll bars. If I had to guess I would say 71 and up had them stock. Conferr offered them in the 70s

subzali
03-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Zepp's '71 does not have a rollbar. Rollbars started when the short jumpseats started...maybe '73-'74? :confused:

If you're willing to forego the original long jumpseats you can fit a later model rollbar. Maybe Treeroot has his old one kicking around? :p: :hill:

timmbuck2
03-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Zepp's '71 does not have a rollbar. Rollbars started when the short jumpseats started...maybe '73-'74? :confused:

If you're willing to forego the original long jumpseats you can fit a later model rollbar. Maybe Treeroot has his old one kicking around? :p: :hill:

I also need 1 for my 73 to help keep the kiddo safer back there....

MDH33
03-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Get a custom full cage welded up. The stock bars don't fit well into '73 and older 40's even with the jump seats removed unless you cut away the mounting brackets for the long jump seats under the wheel wells. It would be great if someone could build one that looks somewhat original, but mounts properly (maybe even to the frame) and retains the stock long jump seats?? :thumb:

wesintl
03-27-2007, 12:34 PM
I would bag the late model roll bar and have jim build you a simple oem replica or order a metal tech cage.

The late model oem bar is thin and folds up like a pretzel. I would not trust my kids under it. With a hard top on yes but open, no. JMHO.

Shark Bait
03-27-2007, 12:34 PM
www.metaltechcage.com Tell them you saw their awesome ad in Toyota Trails! :grinpimp:

treerootCO
03-27-2007, 01:29 PM
...It would be great if someone could build one that looks somewhat original, but mounts properly (maybe even to the frame) and retains the stock long jump seats?? :thumb:

X2 for Metal tech and he does offer an original replacement.

nuclearlemon
03-27-2007, 01:39 PM
74 model was the first to get the factory rollbar, although dealers did have a "baja" package that included a rollbar. i don't believe that was available until around 71 though.

corsair23
03-27-2007, 01:49 PM
I would bag the late model roll bar and have jim build you a simple oem replica or order a metal tech cage.

The late model oem bar is thin and folds up like a pretzel. I would not trust my kids under it. With a hard top on yes but open, no. JMHO.

x2...And I think I need to visit with Jim to have some frame tie ins done on my full cage as well...No good having a nice full cage just to have it push right through the front floor or wheel wells if I should ever flop the 40 :eek:

nuclearlemon
03-27-2007, 01:56 PM
if you plan on wheeling hard, yes, i would go with an aftermarket cage, but for slow rolls, the oem bar will hold up....i rolled the lemon twice, no ill affects to the cage.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-27-2007, 05:37 PM
it's gonna be tight getting stuff done before Moab,
start full time next week, if you want something done, let me know :D

Hulk
03-27-2007, 06:38 PM
if you plan on wheeling hard, yes, i would go with an aftermarket cage, but for slow rolls, the oem bar will hold up....i rolled the lemon twice, no ill affects to the cage.

Thanks for posting that, Ige. My cage is part stock, part aftermarket. I'm glad to hear that the stock cage is not made of plastic.

corsair23
03-27-2007, 09:41 PM
it's gonna be tight getting stuff done before Moab,
start full time next week, if you want something done, let me know :D

I've got some plans that might involve you Jim :D...But nothing till after Moab as the 40 isn't going anywhere right now and all my concentration is on the LX.

nakman
03-27-2007, 10:08 PM
You know, if you ordered a MetalTech you could get free delivery to Moab.. that will save you $70-$100. It will be in pieces, so you bring it back then off to Castle Rock for :weld:

wesintl
03-27-2007, 10:52 PM
i rolled the lemon twice, no ill affects to the cage.

so that's how it happened eh:confused: :eek:

:lmao: ;)

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-28-2007, 12:14 AM
You know, if you ordered a MetalTech you could get free delivery to Moab.. that will save you $70-$100. It will be in pieces, so you bring it back then off to Castle Rock for :weld:

i like the way you think :thumb:

treerootCO
03-28-2007, 03:21 AM
The OE bar is .072

FJBen
03-28-2007, 09:04 AM
2badfj's or metaltechs...don't think you can go wrong with either! :D

I have a smittybilt cage/setup in mine. I'd like to sell/switch to get a better setup for the rear.

nakman
03-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Ben you want me to drag a MT cage back from Moab for you? I would do that...

oh and Jim I've got the MT front cage already ordered and paid for, it'll be coming back from Moab as well.. we talk more in May!

FJBen
03-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Ben you want me to drag a MT cage back from Moab for you? I would do that...

oh and Jim I've got the MT front cage already ordered and paid for, it'll be coming back from Moab as well.. we talk more in May!

hmmm tempting! had I not just purchased a new guitar amp...(although that makes me money) I'm going to start selling some stuff to fund the cage purchase (prolly should have bought that instead of the ARB :rolleyes: )

I still might have you do that if I go that route.

thanks
Ben

SROR/AKA 2BAD
03-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Q: fjben..... had I not just purchased a new guitar amp...(although that makes me money)

how do you plug it in on the street corners/sidewalks :thumb: J/K :D

tim/nakman..n/c on the welding :thumb:

lfd270ben
03-28-2007, 11:54 PM
I have a roll bar for free if anyone wants it came of my 40

FJBen
03-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Q: fjben..... had I not just purchased a new guitar amp...(although that makes me money)

how do you plug it in on the street corners/sidewalks :thumb: J/K :D

I'm highclass...I only play the bars :D :thumb: lol