PDA

View Full Version : OBA parts

nakman
03-27-2007, 02:15 PM
So Dan (or anyone else who is interested..) I'm going to get a manifold & check valve from Grainger... I had links in here but they didn't work, see below for screen shots.

does that seem about right? I was trying to think of why I needed a fancier manifold and I really only need 3 ports - 1 for that pressure switch deal to feed back to the compressor clutch, one to to to the tanks, then the third for a gage. I bought a gage at Lowes today.. nothing too fancy.

Shark Bait
03-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Tim,

Those links didn't work for me.

nakman
03-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Shoot, me neither! hold on...

Ok here are the screen shots:

nakman
03-27-2007, 02:38 PM
So then tell me if I got this right..

Uncle Ben
03-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Correct except the check valve should be an unloader type. When the pressure switch opens the unloader will relieve the pressure on the valves of the pump. You might also consider a pressure relief valve and a dryer in-line before the tank. Another handy failsafe is a small ball valve on the line to the tank and another quick disconnect at the manifold. Most of the time OBA fails it will be on the lines to the storage or the storage itself.

Uncle Ben
03-27-2007, 03:17 PM
So Dan (or anyone else who is interested..) I'm going to get a manifold & check valve from Grainger... I had links in here but they didn't work, see below for screen shots.

does that seem about right? I was trying to think of why I needed a fancier manifold and I really only need 3 ports - 1 for that pressure switch deal to feed back to the compressor clutch, one to to to the tanks, then the third for a gage. I bought a gage at Lowes today.. nothing too fancy.

Harbor Freight, Tool Zone and General Air will also have the parts you seek.

corsair23
03-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Tim,

I know very little about OBA setups other than my 40 has it...You're more than welcome to come over and dig over my setup to see how it is all connected, routed, etc. I posted these before but here are some shots of the OBA on my 40 in case they would be useful...

The two light blue air lines are for the ARB lockers which I am assuming you would not need if the OBA setup will be for the 80 :)

I have an air chuck hookup point at both the front and rear of the 40 FWIW...

And, 2x on the in-line dryer UB mentions. I don't think I have one? as I've noticed somewhat "wet" air coming out the few times I've used my OBA.

Shark Bait
03-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Very nice. Where did you get that braided hose and manifold, etc. ? :confused:

nakman
03-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Wow, cool. That looks a lot more high tech than what I'm going for.. plus your compressor is opposite mine (my supply is on the right, discharge on the left). So are those blue lines for your lockers?

corsair23
03-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Sorry guys...was still editing my post as you were posting :)

Yep the blue lines are for the ARB lockers. Sad to say I really know nothing about it yet other than it seems to work, and I forked over the $$ for one of those little York "dipstick" deals to check the oil level which of course I have not yet done :(

One thing I noticed when I sold that York bracket awhile ago it that my bracket on my 40 and the one I sold had a cutout so you could easily remove the oil plug to check the level. Some of the brackets are solid which would make it difficult at best to check the oil level.

As for where any of the parts came from? My best guess would be from BTB out in CA as it would seem the PPO bought a lot of items from them (on board hot water deal, the roll bar I think, speaker box, seats and mount, etc.)

Oh, and if Timm sees this post he'll know why I suggested he paint his engine bay black now while the engine is out...I think my 40 would look that much nicer with a black engine bay :)

nuclearlemon
03-27-2007, 04:02 PM
150psi popoff valve to protect the tank.

nakman
03-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I've got a popoff valve already, thanks. And I ended up finding a cooler manifold at McMaster Carr and went ahead and ordered it. I haven't been able to find any check valves with "unloading" ability though, UB.. maybe I'll just leave the t-tape off all the fittings on the compressor side.. :hill:

Convert
03-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Tim
Here is a link to Kilby http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/web-instructions/oba_manual.pdf
Sorry for the J**p content. My understanding is the check valve keeps the air tank from bleeding back out the york compressor when it is not running
Dan

nakman
03-29-2007, 08:47 PM
That's a cool writeup Dan, thanks. I'm pretty much there parts-wise, my manifold should arrive tomorrow but I may try to get the compressor hooked up this weekend regardless. I also ordered a separate tank, plus some other cool gadgets...

Does anyone know where to get those rubber boots that go over the end of the quick disconnect? I've looked all over this week and can't find them. swiped these pics from a current mud thread...

Beater
03-29-2007, 09:03 PM
I would be curious what you spent for all that, if you wouldn't mind pm'n me. Reason? I am buying a compressor on sale from hf, and plumbing in my 12v. 3 gal tank... 99.00 plus my time for the 12v compressor and the 3 gal.

lfd270ben
03-29-2007, 09:36 PM
That's a cool writeup Dan, thanks. I'm pretty much there parts-wise, my manifold should arrive tomorrow but I may try to get the compressor hooked up this weekend regardless. I also ordered a separate tank, plus some other cool gadgets...

Does anyone know where to get those rubber boots that go over the end of the quick disconnect? I've looked all over this week and can't find them. swiped these pics from a current mud thread...

They look like the same covers we use on our scott airpacks at the fire department might try a fire equipment supply I can check on tuesday for you where we get them.

nakman
03-29-2007, 09:49 PM
I would be curious what you spent for all that, if you wouldn't mind pm'n me. Reason? I am buying a compressor on sale from hf, and plumbing in my 12v. 3 gal tank... 99.00 plus my time for the 12v compressor and the 3 gal.

John I quit counting.. no really probably into it ~$400 by now? $500 tops... helps when you spread these mods over 6 months, they tend to fly under the radar a little easier. I dropped at least this on dual batts and the same rule applied, just one piece at a time then one day it was all there!

art hog
03-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Harbor Freight, Tool Zone and General Air will also have the parts you seek.

So does home depot.

nakman
03-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Post up a link please. I've been to HF, HD, Lowes, Sears, and TZ and they don't have rubber things, and yeah I asked. In fact they don't have check valves either... only filter toolzone had was a dessicant one that's probably the wrong one but I bought it anyway, I will swap it out if it doesn't work out.

But I had forgotten that I managed to order a check valve from the same place I ordered the pressure switch (one o dem OBA jeep places) so I'm good there, except now I want two :rolleyes:

corsair23
03-30-2007, 12:41 AM

Reminds me of those little bootsthat you also find on propane tanks...I was bored so I did some searches for dust caps etc and came up with:

http://www.parker.com/ead/cm2.asp?cmid=3735 - middle of page

http://www.stormins.net/product_info.php?products_id=8975

http://hydraulictools.zoair.com/viewitems/hydraulic-products-accessories/couplers-standard-flush-face?&forward=1

Saw these check valves while searching dust caps...

http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/compressor-accessories-check-valves-c-25_4.html

Not sure if any of this is helpful or not...

Red_Chili
03-30-2007, 07:39 AM
OK, UB, all... what check valve do I really need? I have two compressors that seem to work fine, but no check valves. The one above, Jeff, is pretty big (and $$$), I liked the cheapie Nakman posted, but is that the right one?

Uncle Ben
03-30-2007, 07:46 AM
OK, UB, all... what check valve do I really need? I have two compressors that seem to work fine, but no check valves. The one above, Jeff, is pretty big (and $$$), I liked the cheapie Nakman posted, but is that the right one?

Here is the unloader (http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/load-genie-style-p-1418.html?osCsid=c0978edfa2c789c0cf5369c05863aa6c)that I have used in the past from one of the links Jeff posted. As far as dust cap disconnects I believe you want an "M" style. That is the most common.

Uncle Ben
03-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Post up a link please. I've been to HF, HD, Lowes, Sears, and TZ and they don't have rubber things, and yeah I asked. In fact they don't have check valves either... only filter toolzone had was a dessicant one that's probably the wrong one but I bought it anyway, I will swap it out if it doesn't work out.

But I had forgotten that I managed to order a check valve from the same place I ordered the pressure switch (one o dem OBA jeep places) so I'm good there, except now I want two :rolleyes:
I got my last filter/dryer from Lowes. It's just the small cheapie but seems to work well. On Wildrice I have an oiler on the inflow full of Slick 50 and it gets pulled back out in the dryer (I use a Toy AC compressor....wery high volumn, fits easily but isn't self lubricated.)

nakman
03-30-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks Jeff! and c'mon, Bill, $22? :p: Want to split shipping on these? If we order today I bet we could hook up next Wednesday. Anyone else? Dan? I'll probably get the last one since it's cheapest, looks like I'm buying more fittings no matter what..

Convert
03-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Tim
I think I have everything I need.
Thanks Dan

Beater
03-30-2007, 05:43 PM
what size air tank is everyone running?

Convert
03-30-2007, 05:45 PM
I am using the rear bumber that I fabricated this winter

Shark Bait
03-30-2007, 06:02 PM
I need to put the OBA together for my 40 but I'm probably not ready yet. :o

nakman
03-30-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm running one slider (~2.5 gal) and an additional 3 gal. tank that will be mounted where the spare used to be. I want to be able to fill up floaties, balls, bike tires, etc. while parked w/o turning the truck back on.

Red_Chili
04-01-2007, 08:05 PM
Thanks Jeff! and c'mon, Bill, $22? :p: Want to split shipping on these? If we order today I bet we could hook up next Wednesday. Anyone else? Dan? I'll probably get the last one since it's cheapest, looks like I'm buying more fittings no matter what..
I need two, that means $44 plus shipping! Naw... too many farkles in the pipeline already, this one has to wait. Or I'll get a cheapie. I need 1/8" NPT anyway...

For a tank, I use my front bumper, works great!

Rezarf
04-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Nak-

Not trying to start a debate or anything, but why did you decide not to run CO2 instead?

Just curious... not tryin' to stir the pot.

Drew

Red_Chili
04-02-2007, 07:39 AM
I made the switch too... It was inconvenient to run out of CO2 right when you needed it. And it seemed someone always needed some air and had no means of DIY, and I would have felt like a jerk saying "no you can't use my CO2" or "pay me and you can".

Then there's always greenhouse gases.:p:

The kicker? The dadgum CO2 bottle is COLD when you go camping and happen to roll over and rest your leg against it. Frankly I had too much stuff in the truck and the heavy bottle just had to go.

nakman
04-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Nak-

Not trying to start a debate or anything, but why did you decide not to run CO2 instead?

Just curious... not tryin' to stir the pot.

Drew

All the reasons Bill mention, to start. CO2 flat out rocks for fast filling, busting pinion nuts off, and remote trim nailer expeditions around the house, can't argue there. But it's a PITFA to get that bottle refilled.. and you never know if you've got enough, so unless you want to mooch, you have to put a "backup" 12v compressor in the truck too, just in case. Well I've had an empty CO2 for over a year now, and have just been using the "backups.."

I've also had this fear that the bottle will get hot, or something will hit the bottle, then the safety blow-off valve will activate and the whole truck will almost instantly fill with CO2. The cabin of an 80 is actually sealed somewhat (not like the 40) so it's possible everyone in the car would asphixiate and all go to sleep, and we wouldn't wake up until a window was opened and fresh O2 comes in the car. I think a rock in a river bed would probably do a good job opening that window.. so would an oncoming vehicle. These are some of the things I think about when I can't sleep...

But the kicker is I want high pressure, unlimited quantity, high quality air any time I want, and the only way to do that well is to have an on board compressor, with lots of storage. I always offer to fill up other trucks after runs, part of the reason I burn through CO2 so fast.. but heck after the night run we were sitting around for an hour watching all the folks w/o their own air borrow little compressors... I've BTDT with CO2, and with the 12v jobbies, so it's time to try this route. This also sets me up for incorporating air bags, air horns, and pneumatic-operated doors & tire carriers in the future.

Shark Bait
04-02-2007, 10:48 AM
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I've also had this fear that the bottle will get hot, or something will hit the bottle, then the safety blow-off valve will activate and the whole truck will almost instantly fill with CO2. The cabin of an 80 is actually sealed somewhat (not like the 40) so it's possible everyone in the car would asphixiate and all go to sleep, and we wouldn't wake up until a window was opened and fresh O2 comes in the car. I think a rock in a river bed would probably do a good job opening that window.. so would an oncoming vehicle. These are some of the things I think about when I can't sleep...

Being a scuba instructor, I probably worry even more what could happen of the tank neck cracks at the valve, or the car overheats and the cylinder explodes. The force exerted by an exploding aluminum cylinder like that can be deadly. I've seen pictures. It's not pretty. It can go through brick walls and travel long distances. I'm probably a little paranoid. In an ideal world maybe I'd have both.

corsair23
04-02-2007, 02:30 PM
This also sets me up for incorporating air bags, air horns, and pneumatic-operated doors & tire carriers in the future.

Tim, you planning to do some "Lambo" style doors? :D

You guys gotta stop with the mods...I keep looking at my 40 with all that OBA stuff and thinking hmmmm.... My poor 40 is going to start getting picked clean. Saturday it lost its high lift and winch :hill:

Red_Chili
04-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Tim- what, no pushbutton-inflating air mattresses in back?!?
What about the microwave, huh?

nakman
04-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Hey I ordered 4 of those dust caps today, from that 3rd link that Corsair posted up in the previous page (thanks, Jeff!) Doubtful I'll have them by Wednesday, but if you guys need 1 let me know, I really only need 2 of them, but they were only $5.

corsair23
04-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Hey I ordered 4 of those dust caps today, from that 3rd link that Corsair posted up in the previous page (thanks, Jeff!) Doubtful I'll have them by Wednesday, but if you guys need 1 let me know, I really only need 2 of them, but they were only $5.

Cool, let me know how they work out. Might consider putting a couple on the 40. The quick connect up front is pretty well protected in the engine bay but the rear one is in a bad location...might even have to relocate it and cap it to actually make it useable :thumb:

Rezarf
04-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Great reasons Tim and Bill-

When my C02 runs out, I will know who to mooch off of! :D ;)

Drew

nakman
04-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Ok, made some headway last night with the install. My tank came in, and I'll be putting that above the spare crossmember in back, most likely Thursday night or this weekend.. that only leaves the compressor itself, and the filter to install. I think I have to put the filter close to the compressor, behind the 2nd battery, there's just no other place to put it where it won't get smashed by the hood... things are getting kind of crouded in here :blah:

corsair23
04-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Looking good! :thumb: