PDA

View Full Version : Must have missed a couple of gaskets...

74fj40
04-02-2007, 04:47 PM
When I replaced the 3FE in my sons FJ62, it started to leak - oil and transmission fluid - not just a couple of drops either....
I replaced the timing cover gasket and the oil pan gasket - no improvement.
My son is home from Western State starting on Thursday - think I'll pull the engine and see what gives - If anyone with 3FE experience is around Thursday, Friday or the weekend, I could sure use some help troubleshooting the source of the leaks.....:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: and good food provided!
TIA, Rob

Rezarf
04-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Rob, one of the best things I can suggest is get after it with a good engine degreaser, and a pressure hose and get it clean.

Once clean, let it sit for a while or run at idle then, start to look for leaks. Gotta be easier than pulling the whole shibang.

That is a bummer, you will get it!

Drew

74fj40
04-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Yea - Thursday morning is degreaser morning - gonna need a case.....
You're right, pulling the engine is a big pain - done it a couple of times. If after cleaning we can see where all the leaks are coming from and don't need to pull it, we'll be v e r y happy!!!!!
I have a feeling we'll need to replace some seals around the transfer case, though....

Rob, one of the best things I can suggest is get after it with a good engine degreaser, and a pressure hose and get it clean.

Once clean, let it sit for a while or run at idle then, start to look for leaks. Gotta be easier than pulling the whole shibang.

That is a bummer, you will get it!

Drew

Crash
04-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Well, the transfer case doesn't have either ATF or engine oil in it so try to determine if it smells like diff oil or not. If I can help Rob, you know I will. No plans for the coming weekend unless the raffle truck needs work.

74fj40
04-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks Steve - may have to take you up on your offer - it's definitely oil from the front - my guess is the timing cover gasket, and atf from the transmission - not too familiar with automatics, so not sure what that would be - I did replace the transmission pan gasket, so that's not the culprit....

Rezarf
04-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Did you mess with the rear main seal?

74fj40
04-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Did replace the rear main when we rebuilt the engine, but the oil leak seems to be from the front area.....

Romer
04-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Is it on one side more than the other?

74fj40
04-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Don't think so - seems to be coming from right around the timing cover, top of the oil pan area - very hard to tell until we give it a good cleaning....problem is, I've already replaced both the timing cover and oil pan gaskets and the leak hasn't improved, so I'm kinda stumped...

Is it on one side more than the other?

Red_Chili
04-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Front mainseal?

Uncle Ben
04-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Don't think so - seems to be coming from right around the timing cover, top of the oil pan area - very hard to tell until we give it a good cleaning....problem is, I've already replaced both the timing cover and oil pan gaskets and the leak hasn't improved, so I'm kinda stumped...

F's have the rear timing gear cover that is a PITA to replace but if it's leaking it can leak a bunch. You will need a gear puller to remove the camshft gear to replace it.

Romer
04-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Distributor seated all the way and is the O ring properly sealing?

First, didn't have it down all the way. Then the O ring on the dist was not making thr proper seal. I actually had to make a gasket and placed it under the Dizzy to seal the dizzy to tube interface.

corsair23
04-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Does the 3FE have that "galley plug" like the 1FZ's do? The one that caused Cruiserdan on MUD some serious problems? I think his leak was pretty bad though IIRC.

Obviously rather than sit on the sidelines not professing my ignorance I'm jumping up and down for all to see :lmao:

Uncle Ben
04-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Does the 3FE have that "galley plug" like the 1FZ's do? The one that caused Cruiserdan on MUD some serious problems? I think his leak was pretty bad though IIRC.

Obviously rather than sit on the sidelines not professing my ignorance I'm jumping up and down for all to see :lmao:

Nope! 3F, 2F and 1F are all very closely related....1FZ is a new breed! I still would almost wage $ that you leak is the rear cover of the timing cover. It sandwiches between the front cover and the block.

Crash
04-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Yes, the 3FE has the notorious and infamous galley plug that can and does blow out unnannounced and is the cause of many a blown engine. It sits right near the #5 sparkplug and not close to where Rob's oil gusher is. It's looking like Saturday will be the soonest I could get down your way. Let me know.

Uncle Ben
04-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Yes, the 3FE has the notorious and infamous galley plug that can and does blow out unnannounced and is the cause of many a blown engine. It sits right near the #5 sparkplug and not close to where Rob's oil gusher is. It's looking like Saturday will be the soonest I could get down your way. Let me know.

Steve, I believe he is talking about the 1FZ's galley plug on the front of the block under the t-chain cover, not the F's infamous gally plug on the head

Crash
04-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Steve, I believe he is talking about the 1FZ's galley plug on the front of the block under the t-chain cover, not the F's infamous gally plug on the head

I'm sure you are right Kevin, just had to get a plug (ouch) in for the bad boy 3FE plug too! I have so much to learn and that's just about the 3FE. 80s and 1FZ-Es are a whole nuther ball of wax. :hill: I know nussing!
:beer:

nakman
04-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Will you guys just get your stories straight? trying to learn something here... :lmao:

corsair23
04-03-2007, 05:12 PM

That is the one (I think)...Whatever it was that CDan had go out and isn't really a "replaceable" item. Nothing more to add really other than my post count was sitting at '666' :eek: so took the opportunity to change my luck :hill:

Crash
04-03-2007, 05:39 PM
As Rob and Max live near Highland Ranch and Kevin lives in Louisville, any chance I could serve as the middle ground location for some diagnosis between ya'll if that could be worked out? Just a suggestion.

74fj40
04-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Wow - thanks for all the opinions.
Steve is right - although there is a galley plug, that is not the problem - oil is coming from the front. Kevin - I can't remember now what we did with the rear timing plate cover - we'll check it out. Also, Bill, we'll check out the mainseal and anything else up front.
Also have to determine where the atf is coming from....
My son is coming home tomorrow night and well clean it up and do some troubleshooting on Thursday and Friday.
We can certainly come by your place on Saturday Steve (thanks for the offer) - just hoping we can diagnose the problem before then in case we need to order up some parts.

74fj40
04-05-2007, 11:27 AM
We spent the morning cleaning the undercarriage.
It looks like the atf is leaking from where the transmission attaches to the motor - around the flywheel inspection cover - been told it might be the torque converter seal and am going to pick one up this afternoon - wondering what else it might be if it's not that seal, and what parts I might need before I R&R the tranny.

The oil is leaking from around the front of the oil pan/timing cover/rear timing plate area.
We're going to tackle the oil leak first - replace the oil pan gasket, the timing cover gasket and seal, and the timing plate gasket.

Crash
04-05-2007, 01:30 PM
When Robbie rebuilt the 3FE in my truck he replaced the torque converter seal which I remember being a big, big O-ring. I might be confused on the size but it was definitely the T/C seal he replaced since he was there.
Keep after it you guys and good luck!

74fj40
04-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Tranny is out, new seal is in, and I'm drinking beer thinking about putting off re-installing till tomorrow.....
Rob

Crash
04-05-2007, 09:15 PM
The family that changes seals together gets greasy together.
You guys want to help put a transmission in the raffle truck this summer? :hill:

74fj40
04-06-2007, 10:13 PM
We wrestled the transmission back in today after replacing the torque converter seal - no leaks - Yeeeeha.
After 2 long days under the car wrenching, we're going to hold off fixing the oil leak for a while.
Thanks very much for the offer of help tomorrow, but we won't be needing it.
Enjoy your Saturday!

The family that changes seals together gets greasy together.
You guys want to help put a transmission in the raffle truck this summer? :hill: