PDA

View Full Version : ARB Bull Bar, Synthetic Line, and Hawse Fairlead

corsair23
04-07-2007, 09:21 PM
HELP :D

I know, what's new right? Need some technical advice/help. I've searched and either I'm one of the first doing this (hard to believe) or it is so obvious that only a dunce like me needs to ask the question...

I'm putting my XD9000 on the ARB Bull Bar and using a Hawse fairlead (vs. rollers) to go with synthetic line.

Well the Hawse fairlead sits low in the bottom bull bar opening. When looking at it from behind, the bottom lip of the fairlead opening on the bull bar is maybe 1/8"-1/4" below the level of the bottom fairlead opening.

It Looks like I could move the winch up on the bull bar and use the next higher set of bolt holes (top ones). But to do so would required that I drill two new bottom bolt holes in the ARB for the fairlead and winch to bolt to.

In my searches all I could find was talk of mounting a roller fairlead to the ARB w/ a M12000 and that you should drill the fairlead for mounting and to NOT drill the bumper. No mention of why though that I could see other than that is the way to do it.

So, do I just leave the Hawse sitting low and looking kind of funny or do I move the winch up and drill two new lower bolt holes for the fairlead and winch?

:dunno:

Signed,

Dazed in HR

P.S. it is frickin cold out there :(

Uncle Ben
04-07-2007, 09:46 PM
You need one of these http://www.okoffroad.com/gifs/stuff/fairlead-sp-4.jpg

Several folks make them or you can get creative and mount yours higher via 3/8" threaded scab plate between winch and bumper...

corsair23
04-08-2007, 12:32 AM
UB,

That fairlead is basically what I have, only a purdier one :hill:

So you are saying don't drill new holes into the ARB? Maybe that weakens the bar or something?

Here is a professionally mocked up picture of my 'problem' :) The red lines point to the existing top holes I am using. The yellow lines point to the top holes I could use if I drilled two new lower bolt holes marked by the yellow dots.

As you can see, there is quite a bit of open space above the fairlead. I'm not so concerned with the look (although it does detract from the 'purdiness') as I am the synthetic rope rubbing on the bottom part of the ARB fairlead opening. The bottom holes that the fairlead uses bolt to the bottom bolt holes of the XD9000 (probably obvious to you guys).

Maybe the top two bolt holes that I'm not using (yet) aren't there for a winch mount? ARB install directions leave a lot to be desired for a person like me. I need the Slee level of "idiot proof" instructions :D

leiniesred
04-08-2007, 10:28 AM
leave winch low. Closer to the framerails = less torque on bumper. Did you wind you winchline in bottom first? If you wind it in top first, then the fairlead will want to be higher (and you fight the brake all the time spooling in.)

Drill new holes for fairlead = best solution, but from the picture, it all looks fine to me in the normal holes. my rockstomper fairlead opening is in the same place as my roller fairlead was.

corsair23
04-08-2007, 07:04 PM
leave winch low. Closer to the framerails = less torque on bumper. Did you wind you winchline in bottom first? If you wind it in top first, then the fairlead will want to be higher (and you fight the brake all the time spooling in.)

Drill new holes for fairlead = best solution, but from the picture, it all looks fine to me in the normal holes. my rockstomper fairlead opening is in the same place as my roller fairlead was.

Haven't got the winchline on yet but it will go in bottom first. Everything actually lines up real well between the winch and the fairlead, it is just that the fairlead sits so low in the fairlead opening on the ARB, leaving a lot of space at the top and just barely (maybe 1/8"-1/4") covers the bottom opening. Moving it up that 1/2" or so to the next set of bolt holes and drilling new lower holes would do the trick I think. I just can't seem to find any information on whether it is ok or not to drill those holes?

I'm just trying to avoid putting it on just to take it back off later to redo it deal...Basically it is ready to go on and the wife wants the garage back :rolleyes:

Rezarf
04-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Just thinking outloud, but the rope, once spooled out will enter into the slot at a different "height" than when it is fully loaded and all spooled up. Clear as mud?

What I am saying is my drum's diameter changes with a full spool and an empty spool.

Could that account for the space difference?

Just a thought.

Drew

Uncle Ben
04-08-2007, 10:32 PM
If you look at that fairlead I posted you will see that the holes are machined lower thus raising the fairlead to fit feet forward winch mounting on an ARB bumper.

UB,

That fairlead is basically what I have, only a purdier one :hill:

So you are saying don't drill new holes into the ARB? Maybe that weakens the bar or something?

Here is a professionally mocked up picture of my 'problem' :) The red lines point to the existing top holes I am using. The yellow lines point to the top holes I could use if I drilled two new lower bolt holes marked by the yellow dots.

As you can see, there is quite a bit of open space above the fairlead. I'm not so concerned with the look (although it does detract from the 'purdiness') as I am the synthetic rope rubbing on the bottom part of the ARB fairlead opening. The bottom holes that the fairlead uses bolt to the bottom bolt holes of the XD9000 (probably obvious to you guys).

Maybe the top two bolt holes that I'm not using (yet) aren't there for a winch mount? ARB install directions leave a lot to be desired for a person like me. I need the Slee level of "idiot proof" instructions :D

corsair23
04-08-2007, 11:21 PM
If you look at that fairlead I posted you will see that the holes are machined lower thus raising the fairlead to fit feet forward winch mounting on an ARB bumper.

:brick:

Dang...Right you are UB. Didn't notice that :(

Guess the proper approach to take then is to mount it all up and see how what I have works...Swapping out the fairlead down the road should it come to that would be quick and easy. And no new holes in the new ARB :thumb:

And Drew, you are absolutely right on your thought. So I'll have to see how it all comes together in the end.

nakman
04-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Man, that's quite the winch install... spindles off and everything! :)

corsair23
04-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Man, that's quite the winch install... spindles off and everything! :)

Nah, not mine...Borrowed the picture from MUD as it was the best one I could find showing the issue. Not even sure the picture was about the bull bar...

Quick update to my problem. I called ARB directly and asked about drilling into the ARB. The guy keep going back to a roller fairlead spiel and that I should drill the fairlead. In the end I finally got my question across and he said it should not cause any problems drilling the ARB for the two new lower holes for the winch and fairlead. Just to make sure to touch up the paint which I will do.

I'm sure the best thing would probably be to get the style of fairlead UB pointed me too but I really want to use the bling Slee one so tonight I'll break out the drill :rolleyes:

Nothing like a noob like me breaking trail on a mod :eek:. I keep reading with disdain all the folks on MUD that said they were able to install their ARB in an hour or less...I've got about 8x that into mine right now. I know I'm slow but I didn't know I was that slow :hill:

Uncle Ben
04-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Here is how I did mine. It sits a tad high but actually is a good compromise when the rope is all played out.

I used 3/8x1.5" strap iron. The winch boltls go through it sandwiching it in. I then located the fairlead holes and taped thread into the plates to hold the fairlead tight. I actually had to space my 12.5k winch back anyway to fit so it worked out great.

corsair23
04-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the pics UB...

I've got spacers in there to fit the XD9000 already so I could theoretically tap into those...But I don't have the experience to do that and would have to go buy the tools to do so.

And I would still have to drill into the bull bar for the hawse fairlead correct?

Does putting the winch the 1/2" to 3/8" higher on the bull bar in order to utilize the top winch holes make that much difference overall? Spanky made the point of keeping the winch low so it is closer level wise to the frame rails which makes sense. I'll have to look tonight to see where the winch would sit in relation to the frame rails using the upper holes...

Have I beat this issue to death yet? :)

Uncle Ben
04-09-2007, 02:28 PM
If it will work to raise the winch then do it without looking back! I'm guessing it will only fit the lower holes.

Thanks for the pics UB...

I've got spacers in there to fit the XD9000 already so I could theoretically tap into those...But I don't have the experience to do that and would have to go buy the tools to do so.

And I would still have to drill into the bull bar for the hawse fairlead correct?

Does putting the winch the 1/2" to 3/8" higher on the bull bar in order to utilize the top winch holes make that much difference overall? Spanky made the point of keeping the winch low so it is closer level wise to the frame rails which makes sense. I'll have to look tonight to see where the winch would sit in relation to the frame rails using the upper holes...

Have I beat this issue to death yet? :)

corsair23
04-10-2007, 12:08 PM
If it will work to raise the winch then do it without looking back! I'm guessing it will only fit the lower holes.

In case anyone is wondering, NEVER doubt the wisdom of UB :thumb:

Farted around with the ARB and winch last night and the winch can NOT (XD9000 anyway) mount to the upper holes unless you want to cut the ARB :(. The motor clears (i.e. sits just under) one of the support pieces by maybe 1/4". So, unless I want to notch this support piece that winch isn't going up.

So, I'm just leaving the thing as is for now and will see how it works. Few options would be:

Drill new lower holes through the ARB and into the spacers for just the fairlead. Then tap them to accept the bolts
Buy a different Hawse fairlead (like UB posted) designed for feet first winch mounting like on the ARB
Talk Christo into designing and making a new bling fairlead with the holes offset lower like the OKOffroad one :thumb:I like option #3 best...hint hint Christo :D

Other thing I noticed is that on the XD9000 the motor is on the left (M12000 motor is on the right). Would be PERFECT if I had a dual battery setup. But the single battery on the LX is on the right. So, now I'm not sure my existing cables will reach :rolleyes: so I may arrive in Moab with a bling ARB, winch, fairlead, synthetic rope, that doesn't actually work.

On a side note, I have the front end of my FJ40 all apart. I took the winch off and then decided to take the winch mount off (what a royal PITA!) which required me to take the bib off and disassemble most of the front end. My wife is starting to wonder if I've gone mad :D

So, if anyone is interested I might have a winch mount plate (feet down design), roller fairlead, and high lift jack towers avail for sale. I believe the bumper is spoken for already.

How it looked before disassembly.

coax
10-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Thread resurrection +1!

To paraphrase Pink Floyd, in a momentary lapse of financial reason I have purchased a winch. (EP9). So far the install is about as un-plug-and-play as possible. (I'll do a separate install thread).

However, due to the fairlead that came with the winch not compatible with the ARB, I am thinking of going synthetic rope since I eventually wanted to do that anyway, and rather than buy a new Warn Fairlead, I'd rather get a hawse fairlead, and sell my wire rope while new for 40 bucks or something.

So, question for you guys that are running hawse fairleads with the ARB. Do you ever run into problems (when the pull is angled upward) where the rope rubs against that horizontal fairlead support on the ARB? Seems like since the hawse is stuck back a bit further it may hit the rope at an upward pull? ( I know I'll have to run an offset hawse like slee's, but just don't really want to have to start cutting on the bumper. I think I'd go delrin rollers before that). Also any problems with having one bolt/nut clamp the (hawse | arb plate | winch ) together? The winch did come with 10.9 hardware...

nuclearlemon
10-31-2010, 05:02 AM
Talk Christo into designing and making a new bling fairlead with the holes offset lower like the OKOffroad one :thumb:[/LIST]I like option #3 best...hint hint Christo :D

ummmm, he already does make those...have you visited sleeoffroad.com?:lmao:

Uncle Ben
10-31-2010, 05:12 AM
ummmm, he already does make those...have you visited sleeoffroad.com?:lmao:

Miss Ige, did you happen to notice the date of Jeff's post?

coax
10-31-2010, 08:45 AM
LOL maybe I should have started a new thread but Jeff's post was titled exactly what I would have named mine, I am just years late to this party. :birthdaypresent: (And btw, I searched the internets with no luck for 15 minutes on the subject of hawse leads on arb's before I found Jeff's thread. :risingsun )

Caribou Sandstorm
10-31-2010, 08:58 AM
Didn't notice the date either Ige..Just reading along...

BTW, I have the Slee fairleed with the off set lower holes and syn line from Viking off road, works great. My original Hawes Fairleed did not fit my FJC ARB bumper.

nakman
10-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Corey you're alright man. :beer:

coax
11-01-2010, 09:10 AM
I have the Slee fairleed with the off set lower holes and syn line from Viking off road, works great. My original Hawes Fairleed did not fit my FJC ARB bumper.

Cool thanks Chris, good to know.:cheers: I've pretty much decided to go syn line. After looking at that horozontil piece on the ARB, I think it would only get in the way at a fairly extreme up-angle pull. And given that I'd have to get both a new fairlead and new rollers (probably a hundred bucks all said and done) I'll just pick up a slee fairlead and call it good.

corsair23
11-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Corey...

Sorry I've been absent the past few days. With the offset Hawse fairlead I haven't seen any issues but then again, I've used the winch very little either :hill:

I have Slee's offset Hawse fairlead now and it works great. The hole on the offset fairlead is just a little bit smaller than the hole in the ARB so no risk of the rope touching the opening.

coax
11-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Awesome thanks for the info Jeff! I'm heading down to Slee's in the near future to pick up one of the offset fairleads.