PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else going Elk hunting next week?

JadeRunner
10-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Were going to a new spot in the La Garita wildernes area (near Saguache). My friend is hooking me up with one of his horses so I'm stoked. I scouted out the area a few weeks ago. It's over 6 miles in, in a sweet area with lots of elk. There's a lake back in there with large cut's and beverponds galore so is will be a fun place to spend a few days.

Uncle Ben
10-18-2005, 02:13 PM
Were going to a new spot in the La Garita wildernes area (near Saguache). My friend is hooking me up with one of his horses so I'm stoked. I scouted out the area a few weeks ago. It's over 6 miles in, in a sweet area with lots of elk. There's a lake back in there with large cut's and beverponds galore so is will be a fun place to spend a few days.

That is a sweet area! Good skill Scott! We are headed to a new area to us near Sweetwater in 2 weeks. Unfortunately, we haven't had time to check it out first other than studying maps and CDOW stats. Be good, be safe and remember Elk usually don't have saddles on them! ;)

Red_Chili
10-18-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm gonna hunt blonde butt, but not next week. Gonna wait until the weather gets more comfortable for sleeping outdoors, like the second week of November.

I'm stoked too. We have a hunting party of 12 this year.:eek: My favorite size is around six, but it should work out. Especially as the week wears on, the party will be smaller.

Seems like when the hunters empty out of the valley, the elk get bolder. And in at least one case two years ago, one got deader too. Yum, yum. She was tasty.

nakman
10-18-2005, 08:59 PM
You f#$#&% Bambi killers!!!

bring me back some jerky, please. :)

JadeRunner
10-18-2005, 09:05 PM
The Sweetwater\flat tops area is good as long as the outfitters don't get in your way. Plenty of animals there.

Hope you have better luck in the Holy Cross area this year Bill.

I've been successful for years in my old area up the Glenwood canyon, but am tired of the same area and having to pack meat down that steep canyon. I haven't had to buy burger for quite a while. I would really be bummed if I didn't get one this year.

Good luck.

bh4rnnr
10-18-2005, 09:16 PM
It's always fun going up to the property in Evergreen around this time. One year came across a guy at the pond in the second valley getting ready to go hunt note: on the way in I saw a few elk just after the gate to the property. Then another time was un the way upper valley(it ends on the Mt Evans Wilderness area) driving along the road, I came around a corner and at the other end of the Medow was two hunters sitting behind a big rock. Silly hunters, the herd up here is smart, unlike the ones in town you have to go and look for them. Told him I was sorry but that maybe he wasnt in the best place :rolleyes: . Gave me some smart ass coment so I drove away(telling Jeff ofcourse on the way out).

Good luck guys! Keep those herds healthy and your tummys full :D

Uncle Ben
10-18-2005, 09:21 PM
I've been successful for years in my old area up the Glenwood canyon, but am tired of the same area and having to pack meat down that steep canyon.
Good luck.

What area # are you talking about? I'm talking 34 and we are thinking of hiking up the "steep canyon" wall. :confused: I prefer the Northwest corner of the state but we have talked about checking this area out for quite a while....and since we are both into hard hiking/pistol hunting it seems like a good choice!

Uncle Ben
10-18-2005, 09:23 PM
You f#$#&% Bambi killers!!!

bring me back some jerky, please. :)

Bambi is a deer....let the plains folk go after the "skippers!" :D

nakman
10-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Elk, deer, cow... all just fodder for the Snackster. Just be back in time for the night run you bastids!

Uncle Ben
10-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Elk, deer, cow... all just fodder for the Snackster. Just be back in time for the night run you bastids!

What night run? If we knew where it was maybe we would plan to make it! :D

nakman
10-18-2005, 10:01 PM
You know when it is, and that's all that matters, the rest is just details.

Bring some elk steaks for the cookout!

enzo
10-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Im heading out on thursday going into vail.

I have bull and buck tags- Shooting .338 browning- This year im taking my 10 year old... Ill see how he does.

Good luck to you guys.

Joe

JadeRunner
10-19-2005, 07:59 AM
Perry, you have to show me your land somtime since I live up there now.

Sorry Tim I won't be able to go to your spooky night run this year. Wife has other plans for us sinnce I'll just be coming off a hunt trip.

Good job Enzo, perhaps someday I will be able to take one of my girls with me. Good luck.

Convert
10-19-2005, 05:24 PM
We will be going to a new area this year also,4th season. Bring on the snow!!!!
Did some scouting mainly for a spot to set up the wall tent 29' x 12' with the cook shack.My hunting party will be 5 which includes BVB and my dad.
Good luck to all chasing the Ghost of the Forest!!!
Dan

Rzeppa
10-19-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm gonna hunt blonde butt, but not next week. She was tasty.

Huh? I thought you were married?

DesertRat
10-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Anyone needing info on hunting the "steep canyons" in GW canyon I am the guy...... Have hunted in there for years. Lots less pressure hunting there from below as most everyone else drives up coffee pot road and hunts down.

Wont be there this year so don't mind giving up a few of the "Good spots" for Cruiser buddies

M-

wesintl
10-19-2005, 07:10 PM
no dice this year so far.. :( Hopefully I can figure out when they turn from deer to elk... :eek:

I gotta find another area with some left over cow tags... anyone? :confused:

bh4rnnr
10-19-2005, 07:22 PM
no dice this year so far.. :( Hopefully I can figure out when they turn from deer to elk... :eek:

Ha, thats what you get for not going on the Outlaws Run :p . Kidding, kidding. Good luck.

wesintl
10-19-2005, 07:35 PM
yeah.. I hear that.. Can you get me onto this place in evergreen? damage tags? :D

Uncle Ben
10-19-2005, 10:41 PM

Leftover Licenses (http://wildlife.state.co.us/hunt/BigGame/pdf/leftover.pdf)

usmcruiser
10-20-2005, 07:57 PM
I am going Nov. 6th-9th. Up in area 3. Just picked up my tags today. A doe and a bull. No cows left but oh well. There will be 10 of us up there. I am really stoked I havent hunted in about 5 years. I had an itch bad and finally it will be scratched. :D