PDA

View Full Version : we haven't had a tire thread in a while...

nakman
04-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Anyone know anyone with the Procomp Xtreme AT (http://www.4wheelparts.com/PPT3360T100004.aspx)?

Or the Xtreme Muds (http://www.4wheelparts.com/PPT5379T100409.aspx)?

Vitesse_6
04-13-2007, 10:35 PM
I had a friend that had some pro comp's, They seemed to wear quickly as well as cupped, But that could have been his IFS at work :)
Im unsure of the others, Im more or less a AT tire person ;)

nakman
04-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Or else it's the Cooper, Toyo, or TrXus..

nakman
04-13-2007, 10:39 PM
criteria:

1. true 35 is desired.... if they rub I'll just lift more :D
2. Can't be any louder on the highway than a MTR, or TrXus, or bfg mud. I think TSL radials are DQ'd, for this reason.
3. Absolutely must balance and stay balanced. shaking at 60mph is unacceptable.

refer to Ken's "Cooper vs. Toyo (http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=114850)" thread for a quick refresher on the leading candidates...

edit:

Oh yeah,

4. They need to WHEEL. no BFG AT's, Geolanders, etc...

nakman
04-13-2007, 10:48 PM
I had a friend that had some pro comp's, They seemed to wear quickly as well as cupped, But that could have been his IFS at work :)
Im unsure of the others, Im more or less a AT tire person ;)

hey how did you sneak in there.. :) were they the muds that cupped? or the older, BFG AT-lookalikes?

Those At's above are probably #5 on the list of 5 anyway.. :rolleyes:

Vitesse_6
04-13-2007, 11:26 PM
hey how did you sneak in there.. :) were they the muds that cupped? or the older, BFG AT-lookalikes?

Those At's above are probably #5 on the list of 5 anyway.. :rolleyes:

Dunno...Lucky I guess :thumb:
They were the older BFG look alikes...IIRC
I have Cooper Discoverer ATR's but quite a few of WC run the Cooper Mud
Sorry to butt in, However I have been very pleased with Cooper, Never been a fan of BFG.
Good luck

nuclearlemon
04-14-2007, 07:25 AM
xtreme muds are currently backordered.

sleeoffroad
04-14-2007, 08:52 AM
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/vlakvark/FZJ85_168.jpg

I haved them on the VlakVark. So far so good. They did good in Moab, but then anything does. I put on them on beadlocks and never even balanced them. There are little shakes, but not as much as one would expect from 37's.

Wear is pretty even but then I do not put a lot of miles on it.

I would go Toyo's if I were you. I just bought them since they were the cheapest 37 on a 16" wheel.

Tch2fly
04-14-2007, 12:37 PM
I am looking to make the upgrade to a more agressive tire and I like the Toyo but I have also looked at the Hankook MT RT03
http://www.hankooktireusa.com/uploadfile/product/rt03_tire_left.gif
I think they are fairly new to the market but does anybody have any experience with them?

nakman
04-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Cool. I hadn't seen those Hankooks (http://www.hankooktireusa.com/product/tire_detail.asp?pid=22) before, but like the looks. Their sizing chart says their 315 75 16 is 34.8.. that's pretty good. They look like a cross between the Toyo and an MT/R kinda.. hmm....

Hulk
04-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Are your TrXus tires worn out? I thought you had mad love for 'em.

nakman
04-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Are your TrXus tires worn out? I thought you had mad love for 'em.

Yeah they're great but I'm regearing to 4.88's tomorrow, so the reason not to get 35's is about to be erased....

Plus Ken's truck is bigger than mine. :mad: :rolleyes: :blah:

corsair23
04-15-2007, 10:09 PM
I like the Toyo MTs so far...Quiet (for a MT), balance well, yadda, yadda, yadda...

The other tire I considered was the MT Baja MTZ but no one in town had them and I needed tires FAST. Have you considered it? Not sure if they're 35 is a true 35 or not.

FJBen
04-16-2007, 09:32 AM
I really liked my Trxxus, hooked up well offroad and did well onroad. My first choice was Toyo M/T's but at the time they were beyond backordered. they didn't start showing up until 7 months later :rolleyes:

Here's what I'm interested in now...

Maxxis Trepador Radial...:D

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/images/trepador-l.jpg

http://www.maxxis.com/products/automotive/product_detail.asp?id=5485

Nay
04-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Well, you know trxus are out in big sizes if you don't want to stay on top of balancing. My 35's balance, but there's no way you can say it's not an issue to keep up with balancing on any big Interco tire. The pros you know: true 35", great all weather traction, sticky.

I'm still waiting for somebody who has run trxus and knows how they work in the snow to go Toyo. If they are as good, it's a no brainer given all reports are that they balance as well as an AT. The Toyo's are also big for a 315.

I continue to buy trxus for the snow - I get my family out in all weather conditions, and I won't trade balancing for a performance decrease in our variable snow conditions. "As good as BFG AT" doesn't cut it, because BFG AT's are average at best on hardpack and freeze up at around 25 degrees.

I go for a real winter use tire with family safety in mind that rock crawls and isn't too loud. So far, I haven't heard anything conclusive to say that tire still isn't trxus, but I am hoping to hear that Toyo may meet my needs.

Nemo
04-16-2007, 06:52 PM
I can tell you that the Toyo's balanced easily and are def. smoother than the Goodyear MTR's I had and so far much much quieter. Guess we shall see after about 10k on them, but that will be a long time from now. Only downfall to the Toyo's are that they aren't cheap, but I also don't know how much the Truxus ones are either so maybe they are a good price.

nakman
04-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Ben, how do you think those Maxxis tires could compare with the Toyos.. noise-wise and balance-wise? Any hunch? They do look pretty cool, I dunno it will take a lot to talk me out of the Toyos at this point.

Red_Chili
04-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Romer's Toyos rocked when I saw them. And I am a diehard MT/R guy!
Sounds like they have much to commend them.

FJBen
04-17-2007, 08:42 AM
Ben, how do you think those Maxxis tires could compare with the Toyos.. noise-wise and balance-wise? Any hunch? They do look pretty cool, I dunno it will take a lot to talk me out of the Toyos at this point.

Honestly I don't know, they seem pretty good. All of their bias ply's have gotten really good reviews. If i were to guess, I would be that the Toyo's would be a smoother/better balanced tire. I don't even know if you can get the Trepadors easily as this point either, might be worth a call???

I just saw those and they look REALLY sweet :D I would definitely go for the toyo's as my #1 if I had to move quickly and couldn't find much other info out.

nakman
04-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Ummm... well.. yeah.

. you guys probably saw this coming... :rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D :blah: :blah: :D :D :D :D :blah: :blah: :D :D :D :D

Hulk
04-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Sweet!

Uncle Ben
04-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Sooooooo the question of the night....... Does it still fit in the garage?:D

nakman
04-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Sooooooo the question of the night....... Does it still fit in the garage?:D

Of course... remember the "test run?" Your truck fit with 35s, J's, = 1" spacers + factory roof rack. So with no spacers and no rack I just drove in, didn't hesitate.

Uncle Ben
04-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Of course... remember the "test run?" Your truck fit with 35s, J's, = 1" spacers + factory roof rack. So with no spacers and no rack I just drove in, didn't hesitate.

Ahhhhh You are right Grasshopper....I forgot the test fit.

wesintl
04-18-2007, 09:27 AM
I can't tell what they are... MTR's?

Uncle Ben
04-18-2007, 11:11 AM
I can't tell what they are... MTR's?

315 Toyo MT's

ginericLC
04-18-2007, 11:38 AM
I must be blind too. I have no clue what tires you bought.

The Pro Comps Extreme MTs are made by Cooper so wear would probably be the same. They also make the MT MTZ and the new Dick Cepek MT tires.

FJBen
04-18-2007, 11:42 AM
I"m pretty sure he bought the Toyo's! :thumb: :D

corsair23
04-18-2007, 12:22 PM

DANG! You guys must have taller garage doors than me :(

I can BARELY fit the LX in the garage with the 33s, OME 2.5", and factory roof rack. Clears by maybe an inch. I probably just need to add more weight to compress the springs :hill:

ginericLC
04-18-2007, 02:22 PM
I could fit with a 7' garage door with 315 Toyos, 1" front spacer and Js and the factory rack. Just barely though. So we had our new house built with 8 foot doors. I'm wishing I would have gone for 10 foot now. Then I could load a roofrack in the garage.