PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Bill Morgan, too bad he was helping an idiot!

Romer
04-14-2007, 10:16 PM
I was putting the rivunts in to hold the subtank today. After some work, I got three out of the 4 rivnuts in. The 4th wouldn't go and the hole just got bigger and bigger.

So I call Mr. Morgan and he kindly welds the bracket on at that location for me. I am not concerned, because that side has a hinge so I can still hinge the bracket down and remove the tank if required.

Turns out the pedestal/hinge assembly for one side of the tank is longer than the other, and I had Bill weld the wrong side on.

How bad is it to have the welded one removed without damaging it?
I would then need to weld the other bracket in it's place.

You learn more from your mistakes then your successes, I did an aweful lot of learning today:(

Romer
04-15-2007, 07:11 PM
I was able to remove the bracket without damaging it so I can proceed.

corsair23
04-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Ken, thanks for making me feel better knowing even the experienced folk make mistakes :)

The difference is I've been working with pretty good instructions and still manage to muck stuff up :hill:

I told Christo that I would "idiot proof" his instructions for him and I've kept my word so far :lmao:

Can't wait to see that subtank installed :thumb:

leiniesred
04-15-2007, 10:19 PM
What is a subtank? Something used to maintain depth when you submerge?

Just how air-tight are those FJ80s?!

"COMSUBPAC to Romer, Blow your main ballast subtank and engage your locker. Prepare to surface."

Red_Chili
04-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Hey, Ken, do you still need me to weld the 'correct' one on the correct side?
We could plate the spot to provide an adequate load-bearing surface to weld onto... the thought of you driving down I-70 dragging your tank and making big sparks might keep me up at night...
Sure, it's only 13 gallons - have you ever tried to pick up 13 gallons? Toyota definitely did not overbuild that hanger design with one bolt and a nutsert!

Romer
04-16-2007, 07:31 AM
That would be great Bill. When do you have time?

Thanks again, and sorry to have asked you to do the same thing twice.

Red_Chili
04-16-2007, 07:34 AM
No worries. Tonight perhaps if it ain't rainin'. Tuesday I need to be in Boulder, as well as Thursday, and Wednesday we have a Bible study at our house.

Sheesh, it's only Monday and my week is booked!!! Wassup wit dat?

If all else fails, if you can be at my house Wednesday at 3:15 PM, I will get right on it hammer and tongs.

Romer
04-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Bill, You have a lot going on. I went out and had it welded on this morning. Thanks for your help

Red_Chili
04-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Okey doke. You're not just being nice and actually had somebody who welds purtier do it, are ya?
:lmao:

Romer
04-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Okey doke. You're not just being nice and actually had somebody who welds purtier do it, are ya?
:lmao:

No, your welds were awesome. Just seemed like you had a lot on your plate.

Red_Chili
04-16-2007, 01:01 PM
:thumb:
Let me know if you need anything. You were not an imposition at all! Happy to help.