PDA

View Full Version : Jenny Creek Road Work Day- June 23!

Red_Chili
04-20-2007, 07:12 AM
This may or may not be an optimistic date, as we got a lot of snow this year, but it is melting fast!

Plan on a fun day of doing Jenny Creek Road and Trail, and setting carsonites (trail number signs) on the east end of the road where we did not get to last year.

On the docket is figuring out what the Guinn Mountain spur is rated for on the district travel plan, and doing appropriate signage. Also, we will be scoping out additional post and cable work for later, to prevent unauthorized access points to Jenny Creek that will just cause erosion. Finally, there is a mud bog area that needs signage right before the private property line on the east end of the trail, and IMHO we need to indicate that the east fork has no outlet so folks know what they are getting into.

Let's do what we can to preserve this great route in the Boulder Ranger District!

Bring the usual: water, gloves, lunch, clothing for changeable weather, a hardhat if you got one, maybe stow a chainsaw if convenient (though I know of no deadfall, it could be there now!), and a great attitude. And a friend who would like to get their hands dirty doing volunteer work!

Meet at Rollinsville, 9AM, rain or shine! EDIT: Event has been moved to JUNE 23!!

bh4rnnr
04-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Cool, thanks Bill:cool: :beer:

RockRunner
04-25-2007, 08:05 AM
As of now I am available, that may change depending on what the wife does. I can bring all those things and if needed a small generator, LMK if it is usefull and or needed.

Tramontana
04-26-2007, 11:37 AM
I'll be there man!

Anyone interested in making it a campout? I may go up on Friday after work and spend the night.

nuclearlemon
04-26-2007, 11:44 AM
sounds good. i'm off fridays now

bill, if you don't mind, i'm going to post it to the state assoc calendar.

Red_Chili
05-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Perfect!

Red_Chili
05-14-2007, 10:50 AM
FYI, Cat Luna has a conflict on 6/30 - we may need to move it up a week to 6/23, more to follow as I know it.

Red_Chili
05-18-2007, 09:27 AM
CONFIRMED- it is definitely moved to 6/23, 9AM, meet at Rollinsville!

treerootCO
05-21-2007, 08:02 AM
added to the calendar

11thcavdrt
05-24-2007, 10:51 PM
This may or may not be an optimistic date, as we got a lot of snow this year, but it is melting fast!

Plan on a fun day of doing Jenny Creek Road and Trail, and setting carsonites (trail number signs) on the east end of the road where we did not get to last year.

On the docket is figuring out what the Guinn Mountain spur is rated for on the district travel plan, and doing appropriate signage. Also, we will be scoping out additional post and cable work for later, to prevent unauthorized access points to Jenny Creek that will just cause erosion. Finally, there is a mud bog area that needs signage right before the private property line on the east end of the trail, and IMHO we need to indicate that the east fork has no outlet so folks know what they are getting into.

Let's do what we can to preserve this great route in the Boulder Ranger District!

Bring the usual: water, gloves, lunch, clothing for changeable weather, a hardhat if you got one, maybe stow a chainsaw if convenient (though I know of no deadfall, it could be there now!), and a great attitude. And a friend who would like to get their hands dirty doing volunteer work!

Meet at Rollinsville, 9AM, rain or shine! EDIT: Event has been moved to JUNE 23!!

red chili:

iam going to try and make it,depending on some physical issues are taken
care of by then. is this a 1 day work day? look forward to it,thxs.!!!;)

timmbuck2
06-06-2007, 08:58 AM
I am in for sure. Looking forward to it.

T

Bobzooki
06-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Dagnabbit! I'll be off celebrating my birthday! :(

MDH33
06-19-2007, 06:38 AM
I'm planning on being there.

Uncle Ben
06-19-2007, 07:05 AM
The drifts on JK have been broke up to the lower beaver ponds. The drifts up at our work site are still MONSTERS! The cabling has worked and the previous bog has no new tracks in it. However, the weight of the deep snow has pulled out at least three corner posts. I suggest wet concreting the broken corners. Some cabling condition is still unknown as it is buried under 10+ feet of drift! It also appears that most of the upper signage has been crushed by snow or wind. ATV's have accessed the area around Yankee Doodle Lake, unfortunately the drifts on the roads have no tracks on them! :( I'm not sure how far access is in on the Rollins Pass road as I wasn't on it after JK turn off. Our closures on the illegal route's have not been violated but there are some new ones.

I do not think I can go after all this saturday but I will make suggestions on what needs to be taken and done.

At least 6 bags of ready mix

shovels

post hole diggers

large tamping bars

tools - to loosen cable clamps so corner posts can be removed

water to mix concrete

wheel barrows - concrete mixing

sleds - to haul materials to downed posts

several carsonites and driver set

cameras, clubs and gunny sacks for education purposes of Asshats accessing YDL through the forest and not the roads!

JK trail might be broken further up now as well as RP ....that I have no idea.

Red_Chili
06-19-2007, 08:35 AM
This Saturday I think we will be doing a lighter survey (as opposed to a heavy workday) to outline another heavy duty work day later, such as Kevin is suggesting. On Saturday, closing the illegal access points will be a high priority though! At least dragging slash and putting in carsonites, and outlining additional post and cable to put in this summer.

We can have another post party for sure. It will be a far smaller project than the original one, and we can disperse crews (some new installs, some repair), so Kevin, you may get another chance to foreman!

Uncle Ben
06-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Awesome! I suggest the FS makes a couple carsonites with trail arrows to mark the correct trail through the creek as the private property route is getting so used it appears the creek section is NOT the correct route!

This Saturday I think we will be doing a lighter survey (as opposed to a heavy workday) to outline another heavy duty work day later, such as Kevin is suggesting. On Saturday, closing the illegal access points will be a high priority though! At least dragging slash and putting in carsonites, and outlining additional post and cable to put in this summer.

We can have another post party for sure. It will be a far smaller project than the original one, and we can disperse crews (some new installs, some repair), so Kevin, you may get another chance to foreman!

DevinSixtySeven
06-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Looks like I might be able to make this...non-RS4x4 people welcome?

I'm not long on the sort of tools you mentioned, tho...just a lot of leather gloves.

-Sean

MDH33
06-19-2007, 12:00 PM
The drifts on JK have been broke up to the lower beaver ponds. The drifts up at our work site are still MONSTERS! The cabling has worked and the previous bog has no new tracks in it. However, the weight of the deep snow has pulled out at least three corner posts. I suggest wet concreting the broken corners. Some cabling condition is still unknown as it is buried under 10+ feet of drift! It also appears that most of the upper signage has been crushed by snow or wind. ATV's have accessed the area around Yankee Doodle Lake, unfortunately the drifts on the roads have no tracks on them! :( I'm not sure how far access is in on the Rollins Pass road as I wasn't on it after JK turn off. Our closures on the illegal route's have not been violated but there are some new ones.

Looks like some jeeps made it up to the lake this weekend, here's their trip report:

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=98619

Hulk
06-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Those guys did some serious winching to get to the lake. Then they hit snow on the road out. Looks like they were still wheeling as the sun was setting.

Red_Chili
06-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Looks like I might be able to make this...non-RS4x4 people welcome?

I'm not long on the sort of tools you mentioned, tho...just a lot of leather gloves.

-SeanAbsotively posilutely! We believe in mechanical diversity! Or in the case of Jeeps, drastic affirmative action!
Just kidding... by all means, join us.

Red_Chili
06-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Those guys did some serious winching to get to the lake. Then they hit snow on the road out. Looks like they were still wheeling as the sun was setting.

Oh, the shame, the humanity!!!
UB isn't the first to bust the trail!

Uncle Ben
06-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Oh, the shame, the humanity!!!
UB isn't the first to bust the trail!

I am impressed! I broke about 1/2 mile of drifts. My furthest track was where the guy is very off camber on the cable. My hat goes off to those guys! It appears they did it right and proper! :thumb: :thumb: :bowdown:

timmbuck2
06-20-2007, 08:28 AM
I will still be there, but a little late. Can't leave until 9:30 when the babysitter gets here. I'll catch up...

T

MDH33
06-20-2007, 08:40 AM
Where in Rollinsville is the meeting place?

DevinSixtySeven
06-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Where in Rollinsville is the meeting place?x2.

BTW you want I should bring the truck, or just myself and girl with gloves and catch an open seat up?

-Sean

Red_Chili
06-21-2007, 10:59 PM
If the truck is a decent 4x4, by all means bring it.

BTW, Rollinsville is about three trucks wide by 10 trucks long.... anywhere in Rollinsville is pretty much the same place!:lmao:

MDH33
06-22-2007, 05:49 PM
looks like I'm out. My new motor mounts arrived but I have not had time to install them... :o Guess that's what I'll be doing while you all are playing on the trails. :)

11thcavdrt
06-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Bill;

doug tebbe here, a couple of weeks ago i had indicated i was planning on
making this work day, however not going to happen, have some moderate
to serious physical issues going right now, asked my doc about the trip today,
he wasnt real keen on the idea being up in the mtns.,not real close to a
emergency room if needed,which last weekend it was. did get my compress-
or for the arb's fixed this past, 2 weeks past the 1 yr warranty, 4 wheel parts
in westminister called them, arb said no problem,that was great of arb and
4 whl parts to even call. so at this point iam not real sure about the mid-
week run next week on the 27th unless the med's iam taking start working
better and real quick so far its been real hit and miss! so anyway sorry to
back out on you guys at this late date,be safe up there!:( :(

Uncle Ben
06-23-2007, 07:46 AM
So I'm wondering if enough folks went up with Bill today? Anybody know? I'll be really upset if the work party is too small to get done what is planned. Sorry for the thinking out loud but seeing posts of back out and not "I'll be there's" has me worried! :(

treerootCO
06-23-2007, 10:01 AM
I feel really bad for leaving Bill all alone up there. I'll will make it up to him as soon as I can...

timmbuck2
06-23-2007, 02:28 PM
I went up late, left town around 9:45. Did not see anyone up at Jenny Creek...sorry I missed you, Bill.

T

Red_Chili
06-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Well, I was the only club member to make it.

We didn't get much done, we did install a "don't drive around the drifts" sign just after the junction of 502 & 808 at the creek. Kirk Fuss would like to be a member, and he showed up in his Chevota 40 with his two kids. We were outnumbered by three USFS folks - except for the kids!

We investigated the eastern part of 502. Brian has placed a sign stating that just a bit further there is private land, and you need permission to enter (and that will be a cold day in Texas when that happens). Right at the sign there is a fairly open area to turn around, which is good. We also drove Guinn Mtn. trail, which is controversial and frankly Cat needs to investigate its status. The part that ends at the Colorado Mtn. Club cabin is getting a bit torn up and so are they, about it, so it will have to be resolved. The loop is part of the same route number but very obviously a very old road and it makes a nice loop- it should have been numbered differently; where were the wheelers to speak up in 1979 when travel management was done? So we may lose it due to a technicality which is now in the travel management plan and set in stone.

Not fair at all.

Another connecting route, also very obviously a road, is inventoried as a 'way' and not an authorized route - though it was never closed from when the forest was "open unless posted closed" and no NEPA was done to decommission it. It crosses some private land, which adds to the confusion. It is worth fighting for however. The place to do it is at the BRDOHV meeting, next one in August. There is a rumor that the regional forester is trying to get a categorical exclusion for decommissioning roads. That will be a dark day indeed... Our sport is very much hanging in the balance in this forest and region, and that is not being paranoid.

We never got up to Yankee Doodle. I bailed about 2.

I have a couple "drift" signs that need to be installed if anyone is going up there sometime soon.

Uncle Ben
06-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Bill,
I am so sorry I choose to do other things. While I had a very productive day I feel I left you hanging, and I am sorry! It sounds like it was a decent day for you other than the embarrassment of being alone. I can get those signs up for you sometime in the near future, it's the least I can do. Thank you for representing our best interests! :thumb:

nakman
06-23-2007, 10:25 PM
My wife ran a half marathon today. While it was cool to support her, my mind was still on Jenny Creek- thanks Bill for doing this today. If you make it to the run on Wednesday dump the signs off on me, and UB and/or I will be back up there shortly to help follow up.

Red_Chili
06-24-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm tied up till the next meeting, unless someone wants to swing by the home place to pick 'em up - just PM me. Thanks!

timmbuck2
06-24-2007, 01:15 PM
OK...I guess I need to break down and buy a CB. :) I have always been a solo driver and never thought about communicating up there. Sorry I missed you...

T

Red_Chili
06-25-2007, 08:25 AM
NP, I didn't even have my hand-held on, with nobody else in the group that had a radio! Catch you next time...

corsair23
06-25-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm tied up till the next meeting, unless someone wants to swing by the home place to pick 'em up - just PM me. Thanks!

Ok all,

I can swing by Bill's and grab the signs and bring them to the Wednesday run and hand them off, or give them to Matt or Wes?

So, anyone coming to the Wednesday run that is planning to go up to Jenny Creek in the near future (before the 7/11 meeting)?

I'll be leaving Thursday for 10 days up in Grand Lake and don't want to have the signs hostage in my garage if someone needs to get to them :o

MDH33
06-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Man this is sad. We need to reschedule the work day for all of us slackers. Might even be more productive if a bit more snow melts.

Thoughts?? :)

DevinSixtySeven
06-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Man this is sad. We need to reschedule the work day for all of us slackers. Might even be more productive if a bit more snow melts.

Thoughts?? :)I was lurking embarrassed in the background until you posted...I realized late Friday that since the landlord was coming by, the house and yard needed some work (actually a lot of work) and bailed Saturday morning. Sorry I posted interested and then never showed up :(.

I can help after the truck is fixed, I was serious about hauling stuff...I haven't removed the bed yet and the truck can haul a half ton of whatever over fairly rough terrain. I'll just keep looking in on the thread for a date. I'd really like to help but the next two weekends are out for me.

-Sean

kfuss
06-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Kirk Fuss would like to be a member, and he showed up in his Chevota 40 with his two kids. We were outnumbered by three USFS folks - except for the kids!

Bill,
Thanks so much for letting me tag along, it was alot of fun. Most of the trails were more like single track or atv trails. Do you want me to send you the pics I have? They are not very good, but you can have them anyway!

Thanks again,
Kirk

Red_Chili
06-27-2007, 07:36 AM
Sure, Kirk! I will PM you my email.