PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen 4Runner owners ?????

RockRunner
04-25-2007, 02:36 PM
If you are running a lift with 35 to 38" tires could you please tell me what the height of the bottom of the frame is? I am trying to figure out if my springs are taller than I ordered.

Thanks for the info in advance :cheers:

Red_Chili
04-26-2007, 07:39 AM
Hey Tom, from what I saw on the markings on the springs, they are exactly what you ordered. And you have exactly the same concerns as anyone who orders Marlin/AllPro springs.

They run about 2" taller than advertised when new. That changes fairly rapidly. I ordered 3" springs for my son's SAS from AllPro, and they sit at about 4.5". I knew this, and prevailed on my son to NOT order taller than 3". He is real happy with the height, but he is a bit nose-high with 4" Alcans in the rear.

That will change after Moab. :D

ScaldedDog
04-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Tom,

FWIW, mine's about 26 1/4" under the doors with 37" Pitbulls. I have no idea what lift my springs or shackles are, but I'd guess 3.5" for the springs and another 1.5" for the shackles.

Mark

RockRunner
04-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys, seems like the springs are settling a little bit so far. The frame height was 29" but last night I thought I read 28 1/4. Would be nice to have it settle a little more before the run but we'll see.

Bill, I called Marlin and asked them about the springs. They told me that some of the 4" springs lift the truck as much as 6"s and settle around 5"s. I asked them why and they blamed the new vendor and steel supply. Seems that they thought the springs would break down more than what they are doing.

In other news, both lockers are working like a charm. Jay and I took it out to the field behind the house. There was some dumped cement etc, did some climbing and engaged the lockers. Except for the gooey mud it did great, nice flex and predictable, so far at least.

Red_Chili
04-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Bill, I called Marlin and asked them about the springs. They told me that some of the 4" springs lift the truck as much as 6"s and settle around 5"s. I asked them why and they blamed the new vendor and steel supply. Seems that they thought the springs would break down more than what they are doing.
That's kinda funny... they get them from the same vendor as AP FAIK, and the AP springs have ALWAYS done that. The thinking being, if someone orders 4" lift and it settles to 3", they are gonna be a whole lot unhappier than if it settles to 4.5" or 5".

But all springs settle.

leiniesred
04-26-2007, 01:24 PM
25 inches from frame rail to ground under the door on 36 inch tires.
Pretty happy at this height. I drag on things more often than I tip over.

my marlin 4 rears have dropped about 2 inches (with the lowest leaf removed)
My Marlin 3 front buggy springs run flat to inverted all the time. They are too soft.

leiniesred
04-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Ah ya shamed me into it. I put on the TrailGear Front 4 inch springs last night instead of my low-rider, way too soft 3 inch Marlin buggy springs.

My rig is about 26 at the frame now, but I expect it will sag out to at least 25 again. the new springs ride much much better than the too soft springs did. Now I need to wheel it to settle them!

Also, It looks like the passenger side lean on my truck is caused by a weak right rear spring after all. I might just add the lowest leaf back on that side to help it out a bit. I dunno. It is fully 1 inch lower on that corner.

Red_Chili
04-27-2007, 08:11 AM
Yeah, sometimes pulling a leaf works, sometimes it just stresses the remaining leafs and can lead to a broken main leaf!

ScaldedDog
04-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Also, It looks like the passenger side lean on my truck is caused by a weak right rear spring after all. I might just add the lowest leaf back on that side to help it out a bit. I dunno. It is fully 1 inch lower on that corner.

If you can't get it resolved, you can do what I was going to do: Name the rig Eileen. :lmao:

New main leaves up front fixed mine, though.

Mark

RockRunner
04-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Yeah, sometimes pulling a leaf works, sometimes it just stresses the remaining leafs and can lead to a broken main leaf!

Thought about that, Marlin says it is OK to do with his leaves. I guess we will see after Wednesday. Taking a pre run I hope.

RockRunner
04-27-2007, 08:55 AM
If you can't get it resolved, you can do what I was going to do: Name the rig Eileen. :lmao:

New main leaves up front fixed mine, though.

Mark

I could call her Eileen Too, that would be explain a lot.

Uncle Ben
04-27-2007, 09:52 AM
I could call her Eileen Too, that would be explain a lot.

I learned a while back to never call your vehicle a female name or even refer to it as a "girl." Living with a wife and three daughters I can tell you that while I love them dearly getting them to do what I would like often doesn't happen the way I would hope. I passed this advice on to Kipper one day on a trail when he was having issues with Long Grains starter. My advice made sense to him and he immediately stopped calling it "girl" or "sweetheart." The truck started and didn't act up again that day! Coincidence? :eek: :bowdown: :Princess: ;)

Red_Chili
04-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Name your rig after a favorite food.
Performance will be yummy. No gender issues.

Uncle Ben
04-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Name your rig after a favorite food.
Performance will be yummy. No gender issues.

Works for me! Well maybe not "favorite" but yummy none the less!

ToddDennison
04-28-2007, 11:40 AM
I have an 87 4runner and I need some cheap rag top / bikini top ideas? I've heard about the YJ top but I want something for support before the roll bar.
any one have soft top pictures or ideas? I know one of you guys has it set up perfect and I've always been a cheater!
:hill:

RockRunner
04-28-2007, 11:26 PM
I would copy either Bill's or Scaldeddog, they have Can-Back tops, me drooling, those tops are tops in the field pun intended. I will be using my old Kayline soft top. Not as versatile but about a third the price. If you are going to Moab you will see them all there.

Rock Dog
04-29-2007, 01:20 AM
I now run my Can back most of the time, but used to run a cool Bikini top you are welcome to come look at.

It covers to the Roll Bar, and had 2 small bows... I originally stole the idea from Cheeseman.. I don't want to sell it because i am building another Runner for for my Brother....

With all that said, once you have have a Can Back, you will never go back.
The Frame does not look that hard to build