PDA

View Full Version : This one is for Cheeseman

RockRunner
04-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Watch the video 2/3's towards the end you will see why.................enjoy.

I can't wait to get there!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47wHoCQY9Ns&mode=related&search=

nakman
04-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Man, I really want to run behind the rocks. But I don't think I'll take the "drive out in reverse" line.. :lmao:

Hulk
04-26-2007, 12:36 AM
Man, I really want to run behind the rocks.

It's a cool trail. It takes you to a whole 'nother level of pucker factor. Taking my FJ40 down White Knuckle was probably the scariest obstacle I've ever run. I think it would be a much less scary run in an 80 -- longer wheel base.

Did you see this thread (http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=151366) on Mud? Bunch of Utah guys with 80s on Behind the Rocks and other trails. Great pics from Adam Tolman and others.

I've attached one of their pics. :eek:

RockRunner
04-26-2007, 01:04 AM
Not sure my truck would hit reverse in that situation..........

Great shot, gives you a great perspective.....

Red_Chili
04-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Oh holy crap.

Lessee, now... just WHY did I sign up for Behind the Rocks, now?

It will take at least five Cheesemans yelling "You'll be fine, you'll be just fine" through a loudspeaker.

I think I just defined a new trail rating system. You have your One-Cheeseman trail, like Chicken Corners. Then a Two-Cheeseman trail, like Fins & Things, then a Three-Cheeseman like Poison Spider/Golden Spike, a Four Cheese like Hell's Revenge.

Hell's Gate would be a Five Cheeser. So would THIS.

farnhamstj
04-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Ran it a couple years back in the 40. I think the 50 ft before the drop is actually the scariest part. Super tippy above a big drop to the left, my 40 flexed so little I got the 2 wheel teeter tot twice before actually getting to the drop. I was relieved to get straped up and that it was almost over.

leiniesred
04-26-2007, 10:42 AM
I love this trail :) It is my current favorite trail in Moab. The obstacles are fairly close together, the exposure is fairly low, and it is just plain fun. I realy like hummer hill too. That is just unreal! I think that is the only part that really scared me.

Nosedive? White knuckle? fun fun fun.

J Kimmel
04-26-2007, 11:16 AM
cool pic, that gives it a different perspective. Pics never do justive but it sure looks steeper from that angle than the normal from the bottom angle!

I'm running it Friday, never been on it before so it should be fun :)

Hulk
04-26-2007, 01:26 PM
I realy like hummer hill too. That is just unreal! I think that is the only part that really scared me.

Nosedive? White knuckle? fun fun fun.

Weird, but I found Hummer Hill not as bad as the others. Smooth surface, grippy slickrock -- reminded me of Launching Pad on the Spike trail, except a harder. Some of the 80s had a hard time getting up it. The most impressive climb was from Shorty -- he made it up part of the way, stopped, and then got going again and climbed to the top.

Ran it a couple years back in the 40. I think the 50 ft before the drop is actually the scariest part. Super tippy above a big drop to the left, my 40 flexed so little I got the 2 wheel teeter tot twice before actually getting to the drop. I was relieved to get straped up and that it was almost over.

Totally agree. That whole section coming down to White Knuckle is scary. Tons of ledges, and you have to turn as you're coming down them. I caught some air on the rear coming down before the last drop too. In a 40, it's a challenge.

Hulk
04-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Not sure my truck would hit reverse in that situation..........

Great shot, gives you a great perspective.....

The shot that I posted was from "White Knuckle," towards the end of Behind The Rocks. It's a straight drop, and it's not optional. There is no bypass. The big boys, like Christo Slee and Joe Calleja, actually go back up it, then come down again.

The video that you posted shows a guy going back up "High Dive" (which only the hard core guys can do, like you). High Dive is earlier in the run, and is completely optional. Most people go down "High Dive" and then up "Upchuck." I made it down High Dive safely, but then couldn't get up Upchuck. It was the only obstacle on the run I didn't conquer.

You and Chili will do everything and make it look easy, I'm sure. :thumb:

Red_Chili
04-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah... right.... I'm not embarrassed to ask for a strap.
Gittin' old
wanna git older...:lmao:

And not broker...:eek: :p:

RockRunner
04-26-2007, 04:53 PM
The shot that I posted was from "White Knuckle," towards the end of Behind The Rocks. It's a straight drop, and it's not optional. There is no bypass. The big boys, like Christo Slee and Joe Calleja, actually go back up it, then come down again.

The video that you posted shows a guy going back up "High Dive" (which only the hard core guys can do, like you). High Dive is earlier in the run, and is completely optional. Most people go down "High Dive" and then up "Upchuck." I made it down High Dive safely, but then couldn't get up Upchuck. It was the only obstacle on the run I didn't conquer.

You and Chili will do everything and make it look easy, I'm sure. :thumb:

Not to sure about that, I have this aversion to staying in one piece. I really do not like tippy situations, that scares me the most:eek: . I can handle the rough stuff but when I start tipping to one side or another I get a little uncomfortable.

We'll see how I do, remember this is a new truck for me and haven't touched slick-rock in about 5 years. The 4Runner may be able to handle it but me handling it is another story, but I will take the complement :thumb:

Cheeseman
04-27-2007, 12:48 AM
Sorry for getting to this one late. Thanks Tom for the honor of this clip. I think many times had I had the presence of mind to dump into reverse I would still be on the road. Ahh, I will get you back Poughkepsie Gulch.

But now back to the "Rocks". What a trail. Yes it will take you places never been before for the first timer but don't be escared as my neighbor says. A beautiful part of Moab with some of the best challenges. Bill with two cases you'll be just fine. When the runner gets back on the road, the Rocks is one of the first trails I want to get back on.

Well thanks again Tom. See you all on Tuesday.
________
Uggs (http://uggstoreshop.com/)

Red_Chili
04-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Bill with two cases you'll be just fine.
OK... That's one. Need four more.:lmao:

Rock Dog
04-29-2007, 12:45 AM
That is a GREAT trail... It is where Dave Hartman got his handle of White Knuckle from... I always found Up chuck to be one of the best challenges.

The first year i did White knuckle in my 40, i had just put on 4 wheel disk brakes and got cocky thinking i would just ease it down.. I think my rear wheels were actually locked, but i still dropped a few inces before the rock finders (LC advanced handling bracket) hit. what an adrenalin rush!!

Bill, i always found the first obsticle that leans hard to the left, to be my least favorite.. It is barely off the road. The rest of the trail is Great!