PDA

View Full Version : Gemini Bridges

subzali
04-26-2007, 05:29 PM
So I've been thinking that since Chicken Corners isn't much of a trail, more of a long bumpy road (which must be miserable in most FJ40s), thought I'd stir the pot and suggest up Gemini Bridges as either an addition or an alternate. Not near as far to drive, and you can go around to the top and check out the coolness of two arches side by side, with not much four-wheeling but a couple ledges etc. to go up/down, then you can go around to the bottom and through some sand (fun to play in) to get a different perspective from the bottom of the canyon. I was planning on taking an afternoon next week (Thur., Fri., or Sat.) while I'm out there and go scout it out (been there twice in my buddy's CJ7 but not once yet in Brahma), if anybody wants to come with me they're welcome. There's also a "side" trip to Day Canyon, which is pretty spectacular.

I don't know, maybe this is already on the trail list for Cruise Moab, but I don't hear much talk about it so wasn't sure. Maybe people have already tried to do it for CM and BLM doesn't like it? Just throwing it out there...

Hulk
04-26-2007, 05:40 PM
We've offered it before, IIRC. Not much interest in the trails rated less the 3. That's why it dropped off the list -- no one signed up for it.

We're only running Chicken Corners on one day -- not much interest. Everyone wants to run Hells Revenge, Golden Spike, Fins, E-Hill, and Kane Creek.

Shark Bait
04-26-2007, 10:18 PM
We've talked about having more "easy" runs for years, but what Matt says is true. I don't know if it's peer pressure or being macho, or what? No one wants to sign up for easy runs. I like your idea of an impromptu run. If you spread the word around camp you might get a few takers. It seems to me we always have a few folks who once they are there wish they could do an easy run. Or a spouse is scared out of their wits and doesn't want to do Golden Spike ever again! :eek: You might talk it up around camp. You could also hang around the registration table all day Wednesday and Thursday morning with a sign and a clipboard and see if anyone is interested. That way you could help Mary and the gang get people checked in, too. :D

subzali
04-26-2007, 10:21 PM
I'll be there Thursday morning...trying to mooch rides on trails like Steel Bender and Metal Masher so I can see if the Brahma is up for it...:D

...but sure I'll help out a little. :thumb: Definitely looking for impromptu runs on Fins, Hells and Gemini Bridges, as well as any bouldering at Big Bend anybody wants to do, and maybe riding Porcupine Rim on Sunday!

Give me a Cruise Moab t-shirt and I'll be your posterboy! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Shark Bait
04-26-2007, 10:28 PM
I'll be there Thursday morning...trying to mooch rides on trails like Steel Bender and Metal Masher so I can see if the Brahma is up for it...:D

...but sure I'll help out a little. :thumb:

Give me a Cruise Moab t-shirt and I'll be your posterboy! :D :D :D :D :D :D

You could ask Mary (PurpleTaco) to put out a sign up sheet on Wednesday for an easy run Thursday or Friday to Gemini Bridges. Or maybe pick a meeting place and time and print a flyer. (Hey, I'm a marketing guy! :p: ) :grinpimp:

Vitesse_6
04-26-2007, 10:33 PM
The only time I did Gemini Bridges, It was a great trail, I dont see why you couldnt just run it with a friend or two, I dont know if its alowd any longer but you use to be able to drive from one bridge to the other...?
I know Perry is itching to do something down there, I dont kow what he signed up for but I thing Gemini has some great pic ops.
Have fun

subzali
04-26-2007, 10:39 PM
At EJS '05 (okay, I know, bad example of what to do/not do) a run was driving across the bridge on the canyon side - I would definitely go do that trail by myself, especially if I had the bike in the back. The driving across the bridge looked borderline to me, I'm pretty sure that that wasn't a designated route, pretty sure it was user created.

wesintl
04-26-2007, 10:58 PM
my thought was to have a rotating trail every year.

wipe out
chicken corners
gemini
rose garden etc.

I don't think folks want to run that trail year in and year out but it's nice to see moab other than hells, fins, kane, etc. This way we offer something new and different every year.

Shark Bait
04-26-2007, 11:01 PM
my thought was to have a rotating trail every year.

wipe out
chicken corners
gemini
rose garden etc.

I don't think folks want to run that trail year in and year out but it's nice to see moab other than hells, fins, kane, etc. This way we offer something new and different every year.

We've kind of been doing that. I think the "pick up" run idea might actually work. It will be interesting to hear if Matt tries it.

corsair23
04-27-2007, 12:44 AM
If you spread the word around camp you might get a few takers. It seems to me we always have a few folks who once they are there wish they could do an easy run. Or a spouse is scared out of their wits and doesn't want to do Golden Spike ever again!

Not a bad idea...I have no idea how much "fun" the :Princess: and :Princess:'s are going to find the trails I drew...They like going 4-wheeling but honestly they've only been exposed to trails around Ouray with probably Imogene being the worst. I have a feeling Moab may be an eye opener for them and things could go downhill if they get the bejeebers scared out of 'em :eek:

So, if "easy" trails were offered on Friday and Saturday you may get a few takers that decide they prefer dirt roads to 5' ledges :hill:

powderpig
04-27-2007, 07:49 AM
A fun little bit I pick up last year at EJS(easter j**p safari). Was that after Gold Bar rim if people wanted to make it a bit longer was to go into the bottom of the Bridges. While this lets people see the bridges, it does not allow them to play on top of the bridges. It also allow some more fun wheeling and some road hoping(more time bumping down the trail). later robbie

Red_Chili
04-27-2007, 08:07 AM
There's always a day of shopping and playing tourista for the :Princess:s if they get scared...

Of course... that can be rather expensive!:eek:

leiniesred
04-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Your rig is perfect for metal masher, Matt. That is an IFS on 31s, open differentials kind of trail. (At least that is how I ran it.)

The only rigs I see that have trouble are the ones with carburators that don't run on nose up steep climbs. I've also seen wide rigs have trouble with the little body snatcher section. That rock on the right reaches out and grabs right rear quarter panels. You'll be fine. It used to be my favorite trail.

I learned to look ahead, plan ahead, on that trail. you don't have to get out and inspect every little ledge in Utah.

J Kimmel
04-27-2007, 09:25 AM
The only rigs I see that have trouble are the ones with carburators that don't run on nose up steep climbs. I've also seen wide rigs have trouble with the little body snatcher section.

hmmm....wide, check, carburator, check.

corsair23
04-27-2007, 12:39 PM
There's always a day of shopping and playing tourista for the :Princess:s if they get scared...

Of course... that can be rather expensive!:eek:

Does Slickrock offer a "shopping shuttle"? :lmao:

We'll only have the one vehicle with us and I'd hate to miss wheeling and get stuck shopping :eek: I was hoping the sister-in-law would be joining us with her 4Runner for a second vehicle but alas it didn't work out...

Red_Chili
04-27-2007, 01:07 PM
No, but you can rent bicycles... holds down on the volume of new stuff you just have to have, to haul back to D-town Sunday too! :D

Shark Bait
04-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Does Slickrock offer a "shopping shuttle"? :lmao:

We'll only have the one vehicle with us and I'd hate to miss wheeling and get stuck shopping :eek: I was hoping the sister-in-law would be joining us with her 4Runner for a second vehicle but alas it didn't work out...

If she makes friends easily, there will probably be others in the same mode she/they can hook up with to go shopping and do other things.

corsair23
04-27-2007, 03:53 PM
If she makes friends easily, there will probably be others in the same mode she/they can hook up with to go shopping and do other things.

My wife is the type that strangers will sit down next to her and tell them their life story...She is the socialble one :D

Just don't rile up her temper :eek:

Rock Dog
04-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Chris,
An impromtu run or to is not a bad idea, but if it is thursday, Friday or Saturday, it runs borders on being part of the event. Our BLM permit only allows for 20 rigs per trail per day. I would like to stay away from a sign up at registration unless we are collecting BLM fees, and assigning a Leader and Gunner --- and leave these to impromtu pickup runs thrown together by people in camp.

I just do not want to do anything to jepordise our 5 year BLM permit....

Neil (being a stick in the mud)

Shark Bait
04-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Uhhhh, I was talking about a run to the T-shirt shop Neil. :lmao:

Rock Dog
04-29-2007, 02:03 AM
Now don't i feel stupid.... been too involved with the BLM stuff today.. I hope i don't have dreams about it....

subzali
04-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Definitely understand. It should be pretty D/L. :thumb: if it isn't then I'm just gonna start driving and try to lose people :p: