PDA

View Full Version : Difficult Question About Locking ....

Shark Bait
04-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Lug Nuts! :D

Dropped by Discount Tire this afternoon to have my tires rotated and balanced and they busted my locking lug nut key. :rant: I think it's a factory original. :confused: Do you guys with 80's even bother with locking lug nuts? I don't really ever hear of a rash of stolen stock 80 series wheels.

Romer
04-27-2007, 03:54 PM
I replaced the ones on my truck. haven't done that yet for Sarah's.

Someone wants the tire, the locking lug nut won't stop them.

wesintl
04-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Don't worry chris, i'll at least wait til you put swampers on it :hill:

corsair23
04-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Still have mine "locked", but I've seen numerous threads in MUD related to this. Seems most of the MUD posts though are on the actual lug busting and not the key so the suggestion has been to loosen that one first just in case.

I imagine a thief might be more inclined to want the tires vs stock wheels and like Ken said, the lock may not deter them. Although I'm hoping it will cause them to look for an easier target first :)

Hulk
04-27-2007, 05:30 PM
My '96 just has regular lug nuts. My wheels aren't perfect and my tires are about half used, so I an't worried about it.

I have an aftermarket set on the 40. From Napa, IIRC.

Three Wheel Ben
04-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Chris,if you have factory locks, I can get you a replacement key, I think they are about $8

Shark Bait
04-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Chris,if you have factory locks, I can get you a replacement key, I think they are about $8

That'd be great, Ben. When you get back, of course. :p:

RockRunner
04-28-2007, 06:15 AM
Funny coincidance, I droped of the 4Runner yesterday to get my new rims installed. I had them add security lugs mostly because of the cost of the tires. THe rims are about $100 but tires are nearly $300 so it does add up.

May not stop them from stealing the tires etc. but it will slow them down so I can "paint" them with my paintball gun ( Don't own a real gun).

SROR/AKA 2BAD
04-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Q: Dropped by Discount Tire this afternoon to have my tires rotated and balanced and they busted my locking lug nut key.

thats what happens when monkey does'nt know how to use a air wrench with a lock-out key.

RockRunner
04-28-2007, 09:45 AM
Q: Dropped by Discount Tire this afternoon to have my tires rotated and balanced and they busted my locking lug nut key.

thats what happens when monkey does'nt know how to use a air wrench with a lock-out key.

" Let me try boss, I always wanted to fiiiixxx a tranmission"

Now give them the key to your cruiser.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
04-28-2007, 09:56 AM
" Let me try boss, I always wanted to fiiiixxx a tranmission"

Now give them the key to your cruiser.

when i worked at Infiniti, i always found it interesting when a "lube shop" would call up and want to order the most obscure part :confused:
thinking to myself " what are they or why are they ordering this?" :eek:

Kipper
05-01-2007, 10:21 AM
I personally hate locking lug nuts, you guys don't know this about me, but I suck really bad at keeping up with things like .... :kipper:

good thing i didn't get a flat tire at cm06 :hill:

Shark Bait
05-01-2007, 10:28 AM
I personally hate locking lug nuts, you guys don't know this about me, but I suck really bad at keeping up with things like .... :kipper:

We don't? :eek: :lmao:

Beater
05-01-2007, 02:17 PM
locking nuts were never designed to be used with impacts. Period. I took mine off as soon as the key shattered.

Shark Bait
05-01-2007, 02:53 PM
locking nuts were never designed to be used with impacts. Period. I took mine off as soon as the key shattered.

I may just do that. They put some chrome lugs on in place of the locks. I may just find 4 black lugs to match and call it good.

Beater
05-01-2007, 04:04 PM
you will have the most luck at an advance auto parts, or a napa.

j

Red_Chili
05-07-2007, 01:25 PM
You can buy a tool that defeats locking lug nuts from most tow supply places. Renders them meaningless. Except to moron thieves, of which there appears to be no lack... so I run them. :D

Rezarf
05-07-2007, 06:03 PM
I run them, just to keep the 35" MTR's one step farther away from someone else using them...

Rezarf <><