PDA

View Full Version : For a good laugh...read this

corsair23
04-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Some of you may have seen my post about what I did to my antenna cable :(. Well, I sent the Firestik "folk" an email looking for some advice. They have a good sense of humor over there (assume they did based on some of what I read on their tech doc pages).

Anyway, thought some of you may find this interaction pretty funny. There was a section that had to be filled out giving particulars about the vehicle (how they knew the vehicle was a Lexus), mounting location, CB, etc. etc. and then my questions. Their reply had me cracking up :D

ME:
Three questions.

First, I purchased the no ground plane “kit” along with a quick disconnect fitting. I read through all of what I thought were the applicable FAQs and Tech Help docs (very good stuff there J) but I didn’t read anywhere whether or not it was ok or a must to use the quick disconnect (R-1A) along with the spring mount? I did read where not using a spring mount could damage the antenna and/or mount which leads me to believe I should attach both the spring mount and the quick disconnect to the mounting location. If that is the case does the quick disconnect attach to the vehicle first and then the spring and then the antenna or is it spring, quick disconnect, then antenna?

Second, I am an idiot…I readily admit it. During installation I managed to snip off about 6” of my antenna cable. I had the antenna cable routed in some plastic wire loom for protection and when I went to cut off the extra length of the wire loom I also cut the antenna cable. I DID look to see if the antenna was in the way before cutting but apparently black on black isn’t enough of a contrast for me to notice L. I read that changing the length of the NGP antenna even 1/2” could render it unuseable. I assume then that in my case my only option is a new antenna cable?

Finally, the 18’ of antenna length just isn’t enough for me to reach from the CB to the mount. I’m short by 2’-3’. I read where additional lengths of antenna cable work best if they are in multiples of 9’. Well, no one around me carries 9’ lengths. I’ve found 6’, 10’, and 12’ lengths but no 9’. And, they are just regular RG-58 cable. So, are any of these lengths ok to use and is regular cable going to suffice or do I need to order a 9’ section of Fireflex like the R-8A?
I leave for Moab in 5 days and I am running out of time to get this working or I go with no CB.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!!
FIRESTICK:
Who in the hell runs a Lexus at Moab? For some reason .. that was the first question that popped into my head. Do you drive it on the course or do you have a chauffeur drive while you eat appetizers and drink champaign in the backseat? Just wondering.

You can write that NGP cable off ... might be good for choking the chauffeur if he scratches the Lexus but not worth a lug nut as far as for the antenna system is concerned. Better get one quick ... our model number K-8NGP. You won't find it readily available cuz most are sold in complete antenna kit form. You can order from here and at the same time get a 9 footer (R-8A and an AR-4 barrel connector so you can hook 'em up). If I was gonna try one of those other lengths (please don't tell me they are radio shack cables) ... I would go with the 6ft.

If you come up short in your local search for Firestik products, then you may want to order directly from the factory. You can reach us at 1-800-528-8113 from 8 AM-4PM MST, Monday - Friday. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.

Finally, if you're really an idiot ... welcome to my world. I prefer idiots over stupid people because stupid people always do things that neither they or the people around them benefit from. And idiots are way more entertaining. I have a bunch idiot friends .. we usually don't start the evening out as idiots but some how we end up there, at least according to our wives. Funny ... before we were married we didn't even know that we were idiots when we were doing the exact same things. Any how .. I'll have to take your word for it [that you're an idiot] until I get a chance to ask my wife cuz I've also learned that I am a bad judge of character.

Hope you get things back together and have a good time playing in the mud and dirt ... sounds like fun.

Hulk
04-27-2007, 06:30 PM
That's a great letter! I'm now a fan of Firestick. That's what I have on my 40 anyway. :D

Shark Bait
04-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Priceless! :lmao:

treerootCO
04-27-2007, 08:00 PM
That made me laugh. Just got back from Camelot so it was even funnier after hearing that guy tell me all about CBs:)

Three Wheel Ben
04-27-2007, 08:02 PM
I love it!!!!!

Some of you may have seen my post about what I did to my antenna cable :(. Well, I sent the Firestik "folk" an email looking for some advice. They have a good sense of humor over there (assume they did based on some of what I read on their tech doc pages).

Anyway, thought some of you may find this interaction pretty funny. There was a section that had to be filled out giving particulars about the vehicle (how they knew the vehicle was a Lexus), mounting location, CB, etc. etc. and then my questions. Their reply had me cracking up :D

ME:
Three questions.

First, I purchased the no ground plane “kit” along with a quick disconnect fitting. I read through all of what I thought were the applicable FAQs and Tech Help docs (very good stuff there J) but I didn’t read anywhere whether or not it was ok or a must to use the quick disconnect (R-1A) along with the spring mount? I did read where not using a spring mount could damage the antenna and/or mount which leads me to believe I should attach both the spring mount and the quick disconnect to the mounting location. If that is the case does the quick disconnect attach to the vehicle first and then the spring and then the antenna or is it spring, quick disconnect, then antenna?

Second, I am an idiot…I readily admit it. During installation I managed to snip off about 6” of my antenna cable. I had the antenna cable routed in some plastic wire loom for protection and when I went to cut off the extra length of the wire loom I also cut the antenna cable. I DID look to see if the antenna was in the way before cutting but apparently black on black isn’t enough of a contrast for me to notice L. I read that changing the length of the NGP antenna even 1/2” could render it unuseable. I assume then that in my case my only option is a new antenna cable?

Finally, the 18’ of antenna length just isn’t enough for me to reach from the CB to the mount. I’m short by 2’-3’. I read where additional lengths of antenna cable work best if they are in multiples of 9’. Well, no one around me carries 9’ lengths. I’ve found 6’, 10’, and 12’ lengths but no 9’. And, they are just regular RG-58 cable. So, are any of these lengths ok to use and is regular cable going to suffice or do I need to order a 9’ section of Fireflex like the R-8A?
I leave for Moab in 5 days and I am running out of time to get this working or I go with no CB.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!!
FIRESTICK:
Who in the hell runs a Lexus at Moab? For some reason .. that was the first question that popped into my head. Do you drive it on the course or do you have a chauffeur drive while you eat appetizers and drink champaign in the backseat? Just wondering.

You can write that NGP cable off ... might be good for choking the chauffeur if he scratches the Lexus but not worth a lug nut as far as for the antenna system is concerned. Better get one quick ... our model number K-8NGP. You won't find it readily available cuz most are sold in complete antenna kit form. You can order from here and at the same time get a 9 footer (R-8A and an AR-4 barrel connector so you can hook 'em up). If I was gonna try one of those other lengths (please don't tell me they are radio shack cables) ... I would go with the 6ft.

If you come up short in your local search for Firestik products, then you may want to order directly from the factory. You can reach us at 1-800-528-8113 from 8 AM-4PM MST, Monday - Friday. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover.

Finally, if you're really an idiot ... welcome to my world. I prefer idiots over stupid people because stupid people always do things that neither they or the people around them benefit from. And idiots are way more entertaining. I have a bunch idiot friends .. we usually don't start the evening out as idiots but some how we end up there, at least according to our wives. Funny ... before we were married we didn't even know that we were idiots when we were doing the exact same things. Any how .. I'll have to take your word for it [that you're an idiot] until I get a chance to ask my wife cuz I've also learned that I am a bad judge of character.

Hope you get things back together and have a good time playing in the mud and dirt ... sounds like fun.

wesintl
04-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Finally, if you're really an idiot ... welcome to my world.

:bowdown: :D

Jenny Cruiser
04-27-2007, 10:25 PM
"My lips hurt real bad . . . idiot!"

Idiot is one of my favorite words.:D

ScaldedDog
04-28-2007, 10:48 AM
:lmao: That's the funniest tech support conversation I've ever seen, in any business. Worthy of publication somewhere, for sure.

Mark