PDA

View Full Version : Another noob CB question...

corsair23
04-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Firestik didn't answer this question when I asked (too busy busting my chops about taking a Lexus to Moab :lmao:) so I'm coming to you all :thumb:

I bought a quick disconnect antenna mount and I am wondering...

Do I attach the antenna to the quick disconnect and then the quick disconnect to the spring mount and use them all together? I assume it would be the spring mount first, then quick disconnect dealyo, then antenna?

Or do I only use one or the other :confused:.

The FAQs state not using a spring mount can damage the antenna but I didn't read anywhere that it was ok to use the both the QD and the spring together.

Told you it was a noob question :hill:

Shark Bait
04-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Jeff, if you want to just borrow my Wilson mag mount you're welcome to. The only time it ever came off was when I went under a low hanging branch that swept it off.

Hulk
04-27-2007, 05:28 PM
I don't know anyone who uses a spring mount. The antenna has enough flex that you'll be fine.

corsair23
04-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Jeff, if you want to just borrow my Wilson mag mount you're welcome to. The only time it ever came off was when I went under a low hanging branch that swept it off.

Chris,

Thanks for the offer! I'm good to go pretty much though. I just have to run the replacement cable that arrived yesterday with my 4' antenna...Shouldn't take me but 1/2 hr to run it, solder it, connect it, and be done :D. I'm somewhat "experienced" on this now :hill:

corsair23
04-27-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't know anyone who uses a spring mount. The antenna has enough flex that you'll be fine.

Thanks Matt. It didn't break off when I drove out of the garage the other night and I hit it on the top of the garage door :eek: so I imagine it will be fine. Wouldn't take but a minute to add it in though.

ScaldedDog
04-27-2007, 06:03 PM
I use a spring mount, then the quick disconnect on top connected to the antenna. Works fine.

Mark

Three Wheel Ben
04-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Jeff, I don't think it matters how or which pieces you use, just tune it before you transmit. It will definitely tune different with and without the spring. I would set it up how you like then hook the swr get it tuned and never screw with it again.:eek:

gahi
04-27-2007, 08:18 PM
How do you tune them?

corsair23
04-27-2007, 09:56 PM
How do you tune them?

It probably depends on the antenna. On the Firestiks I have there is a tuning screw on top that you use. You can either take it to a radio shop (see my other CB threads) or buy a SWR meter. Radio Shack sells a basic one for $50 --> SWR Meter (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036239&cp=&sr=1&origkw=swr&kw=swr&parentPage=search)

Not sure how well it works. If you only have one antenna it might not be worth the cost of buying a meter. If you have multiple antennas to tune might be cost effective to buy a meter.

Lot of good tech stuff on www.firestik.com (http://www.firestik.com)

Thanks to everyone else for their thoughts :thumb:

powderpig
04-28-2007, 06:52 AM
If you are going to Moab, I can bring mine if you need one. I will check later today before I leave to see if you need it or call me at home 303-665-1101. later robbie

Three Wheel Ben
04-28-2007, 07:08 AM
If you are going to Moab, I can bring mine if you need one. I will check later today before I leave to see if you need it or call me at home 303-665-1101. later robbie

Likewise, I'll be around all day today packing the trailer if you want to come by and tune it real quick. Only takes about 10 minutes.