PDA

View Full Version : 4th Annual Spooky Night Run - Sat, Oct. 29

nakman
10-23-2005, 08:25 PM
That's right kids, the long awaited spooky night run is finally here. Someone can correct me on the "4th annual" thing if they know better, but my notes have:

#1, 2002, Gillespie Gulch, led by Mike Aaron
#2, 2003, Castle Gulch, led by Mike Aaron
#3, 2004, Gillespie Gulch, led by yours truly.

and finally *drumroll....................................................................................*

#4, 2005, Jones Pass! Yup, that's right, that pass that's just past Empire above the Henderson mine. But if you thought this was going to be a weeny run, think again. Today a stealth prerunner group comprised of myself, Crash, Powderpig, and Bobo met in the early dawn to assess conditions, and we all got our money's worth to say the least. To start, there are now patches of snow that start just after the parking lot below. I should point out that reason #1 to run this today was to make sure there wasn't already an "established" cross country or showshoe route, since this is a very popular winter area. But no way, it was snow & dirt, mostly dirt, the whole way up to the turnoff, so no conflict there. (if it's too snowy, the backup location is somewhere around Bill Moore Lake). So presuming the mountains don't get much snow this week, we should be good to go for this area on Saturday.

Once we made the turn from the main pass, we quickly found ourselves in about a foot of what appeared to be about two-week old snow. Being in the lead, I had a blast getting way too much momentum to get up and through some areas. Had to twist the magic dial more than a few times to get through some of it. I couldn't believe that the whole road was untracked, since last time I ran it it seemed pretty popular, in fact I even encountered a vehicle coming down while I was going up.

Anyway, the first fun project of the day was moving an abandoned Chevy 2WD with a completely broken front end off of the road. I remember seeing this about 4 weeks ago, but someone must have gone back up and tried to yank it out.. then couldn't, and left the rear end sticking out in the trail. It would have been passable had the trail been completely dry, but was pretty obvious that we would have slid down into it. So with some creative winching, we pulled it off the road so the group could pass.

Next fun project was almost to the top. Must have been the wind, but a good sized tree had recently fallen, completely blocking the road. It was easily 40' long, and 18-20" in diameter towards the bottom section. No way any person, or group of people, could have moved it without tools. Hmm.. maybe that's why no one's been on this road lately? So again, after some creative snatch blocking, a little sawing, the trail was clear and we were at the top. Best part of the day for me (other than the great weather, great company, and driving the best vehicles ever that is..) was all the stuff we got to use! Straps, gloves, snatch block, hand throttle, winch, bumpers... suddenly all those mods came together. Needless to say, I was smiling all morning long.

Next

nakman
10-23-2005, 08:37 PM
So in case you didn't catch it in one of the previous night run threads:

Date: Saturday, October 29th
Time: 5:00 pm is when we'll meet
where: Burger King parking lot in Downieville. That's exit 234, last one before Berthoud Pass.
Bring: Warm clothes. And a hat. And some gloves, and a jacket.. and some more warm clothes. Also bring your Toyota obviously, as well as your friends & family. Also bring some munchie food to share, I'll pop for the main course though.

We'll meet at Burger King, then drive up to the trail head where those who choose to can air down (not a requirement if you're not doing the "run," recommended if you are). Then we'll all drive up to the cookout spot, maybe get a fire going if some folks want to stay and not do the run. Then all those who want to do "the run" will drive back down the pass, then turn up the hill... should take about an hour to do the whole loop, even with some screwing around time. Once reunited, we'll share some food & stories back at the cookout site.

Any stocker can make it up to the cookout site. I'd probably give that a 1.5 or 2 out of 5. For the run, I'd suggest at least 31's & a locker.. open trucks can do it though, but will almost definitely require a strap in places, unless a lot more melting occurs between now and Saturday. After today, I'd rate the run as a 3 out of 5. Don't forget to dress your truck up for Halloween, you've still got time to hook up those rock lights. See you Saturday night!

powderpig
10-24-2005, 07:31 AM
Thanks for leading the run Tim. After you left we went not too much futher, a little bit above tree line and towards jones pass, when the snow and angle combined to stop the cruisers (no proper tires or chains).
Any how a stocker would do ok with chains on the front driving axle if you wanted to tackle it. Now I am not talking about cable chains, but real chains in what ever pattern that you have. If you have 2 sets of 2 all the better. If the weather is nice to us and we have a full moon, the bowl above tree line will make for some wonder sites after the sun sets.
Any way after we left Bobo, Crash(with Suzie and the dogs) and I went over to do Bill Moore lake. All went well until the last hill long shady hill down to the bog area before the lake. We ran into some guys and gals with j**ps and as Crash was getting off the trail to allow them to come up the hill, slide a little off the side. Not too bad, but enough to brake the winch out again to get him back on the trail. Then the high light was the broken cheerokee. He ad borken a U-joint in the stub axle and left him with 1 wheel drive. This older man with a built Jeep commando(one real mean machine). pulled him up the hill. it took too runs for the cammando to be able to pul him up the hill. The first time they did not have enough momentium to make it and both slide down backwards for a bit, was scary thing to watch considering if they mess up both would be off the side of the trail. but they final made it up(the one being pulled come real close to steves truck on the way up).
Steve and I carried on and the rest was uneventiful except the wonderful views and clear blue skies. any how looking forward to next weekend. later robbie

leiniesred
10-24-2005, 12:17 PM
I already have 2 parties to go to on that night. :(
Oh well. There is always next year.

Crash
10-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Oops, says it all. Just warm enough that packed snow turned icy pretty quickly, making for interesting conditions. Tim, we had a great day and thanks for getting Suzie and I up to an area we had never explored - we'll have to go back for more. As Robbie pointed out, the Bill Moore Lake area was pretty dry for the most part. Lots of hunters, though. Have fun this weekend on the Spooky Night Run and ya'll better wear your woolies!!
Steve

timmbuck2
10-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Oops, says it all. Just warm enough that packed snow turned icy pretty quickly, making for interesting conditions. Tim, we had a great day and thanks for getting Suzie and I up to an area we had never explored - we'll have to go back for more. As Robbie pointed out, the Bill Moore Lake area was pretty dry for the most part. Lots of hunters, though. Have fun this weekend on the Spooky Night Run and ya'll better wear your woolies!!
Steve

Who owns that truck in the pic? You work at Denver Water??

T

Uncle Ben
10-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Who owns that truck in the pic? You work at Denver Water??

T

He does indeed!

timmbuck2
10-24-2005, 04:30 PM
He does indeed!

Me, too. I was admiring his truck in the parking lot last week. I usually park out front and never saw his truck (or the LX out there). very cool!! Now I need to find him at work!

Timm

treerootCO
10-24-2005, 04:36 PM
I still need to meet up and see the Mercury ;)

Crash
10-24-2005, 05:32 PM
First "Oops" and now "Oh Crap, my cover is blown". Tim, what section do you work in and how long have been there? Haven't seen a built 80 in the parking lot there, ever. I'm in Engineering. X6644 - gimme a call.
Steve

Me, too. I was admiring his truck in the parking lot last week. I usually park out front and never saw his truck (or the LX out there). very cool!! Now I need to find him at work!

Timm

nakman
10-24-2005, 08:11 PM
Alright chatty- you guys going on the night run on what??

Just got back from Costco with some fixins... :D

nuclearlemon
10-24-2005, 11:06 PM
steve...that really can't be your 62 slipping off track! your rig is way to awesome to do that! nice to see it's not as invincible as i thought :D

have missed you...when you gonna pop around more often!!!

nuclearlemon
10-24-2005, 11:06 PM
i plan on being there.

Crash
10-25-2005, 08:08 AM
Mercy, Ige, thank you! What you don't see is the h**p Dangler that was stopped in the trail when i got to that point and it was pretty narrow there. Still, it was driver error on my part to get that close to the edge. As Tim said earlier in this thread, it was fun using all of the toys we had at our disposal that day and this spot required about a minute's worth of winching to get back to where I needed to be. D'oh!
Wish I could make the night run - night runs rock and Tim leads good ones - but I will be in Kansas City watching my nephew play his last football game of the season. He plays for the same school I played for a few short years ago. Uh, 37 of them to be exact. :eek: :eek:

steve...that really can't be your 62 slipping off track! your rig is way to awesome to do that! nice to see it's not as invincible as i thought :D

have missed you...when you gonna pop around more often!!!

subzali
10-25-2005, 08:58 AM
Me and my dad'll be there! I think CJ7 Matt will be there too! What do we need to bring for eats?

nakman
10-25-2005, 10:28 AM
Awesome! Just bring some munchy stuff to share.. also I'm thinking now we'll do the cookout earlier, then the run later. Will make more sense that way, plus after the run if folks want to drive further up the pass to check out the view they're already halfway there. See you this weekend!

jjhancock
10-25-2005, 01:21 PM
My mom is in town this weekend, and I'd really like to go. I know it's halloween and all, but I don't want to scare the crap out of my mom if I can avoid it. Sounds like a real good time.

treerootCO
10-25-2005, 06:47 PM
I'll be there :)

I threw my back out again so it should be exciting in the 40. I never let it stop me before so why start now. :D

wesintl
10-26-2005, 08:35 AM
2nd spooky run I can't make. I need a new diaphram. old one had a rip and for you non dieselers it's causing me to idle at like 2k. :mad: Oh well Central Motive Power has one on order for me... :D

treerootCO
10-26-2005, 08:38 AM
You have Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and most of Saturday to get that fixed :D

Evrgrnmtnman
10-26-2005, 08:47 AM
I take it! That this is a entertaining run, full of excitement and intrigue? Haunted house at the top with some chains rattling around, and some ghostly figures roaming the night. Count me in!

nakman
10-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Cool! Glad you guys can come out!

Wes, just drive the VW to Burger King and hop in with someone.

Uncle Ben
10-26-2005, 10:39 AM
I take it! That this is a entertaining run, full of excitement and intrigue? Haunted house at the top with some chains rattling around, and some ghostly figures roaming the night. Count me in!

Not to worry that's just dinner rattling around under the hood of the Snackster! :D

wesintl
10-26-2005, 11:21 AM
I may do that Tim.. Getting it fixed isn't the problem.. It's getting the part by then... You pretty much have to order EVERYTHING for a 3B here. :o

Crash
10-26-2005, 02:48 PM
.....to hijack the thread again. Anyone know TIMMBUCK2's name? He has gone into hiding since asking if I work at Denver Water. Sent a PM but he hasn't responded. TIMMBUCK2 I'm not really as mean as Uncle Ben claims I am.

Uncle Ben
10-26-2005, 02:52 PM
.....to hijack the thread again. Anyone know TIMMBUCK2's name? He has gone into hiding since asking if I work at Denver Water. Sent a PM but he hasn't responded. TIMMBUCK2 I'm not really as mean as Uncle Ben claims I am.

....as long as he isn't wearing his hockey mask toting a chainsaw...you are somewhat safe!

(There...that starts to bring it back to topic :) )

Here is a pic of Crash on an evening run on Nugget Hill one eerie night.... :eek: :D

Uncle Ben
10-26-2005, 10:06 PM
Jones Pass is spooky to me for sure! A few years back I lost my 300 Honda Fourtrax off that edge of the pass at the top! The snow "didn't seem too bad" and there was a strip of dirt at the edge nearly all the way. About 20 yards into that section the ATV was determined to get too close to the edge for my comfort. I hopped off and slid the ATV, by hand, back on the road away from the edge. As soon as I started forward motion it immediately slid to the edge and started sliding further! :eek: I hopped off again and hung on to the back but gravity was not playing fair. I hung on trying to dig in my heels and stop the decent but after about 10 or more feet and starting to pick up speed I turned loose....heck....it's an ATV...indestructable right? The speed that the Honda was traveling was beyond belief!!!! Just when I thought it couldn't get worse the ATV hit a large rock and went airborn. After every hit again on the ground it not only flew higher/faster but it was becoming like a turbine in a jet engine! As it was getting what I thought was most of the way down the hill it disappeared....whew. I thought it finally stopped.....after a second or two(seemed like minutes) I heard it "hit" again, more crashing then quiet....but then it "hit" again and continued to horrify me with the sound of disintergrating ATV. It went ALL the way to the bottom! I did hike down to a point I could see it and decided to go home and come up the next day with Wildrice and some help. We did retrieve it but it was not repairable. So yes ole Jones and I have history. Would I offer my 40th Anniversary 80 to ole Jones? Not in my lifetime! Would I do it if the snow is not bad....maybe. I have done the whole pass in the early fall and it is georgeous! Great Grouse and Ptarmigan hunting! So yes I will do the run but going over the top of Jones this year probably isn't in my future unless it is on foot! :rolleyes:

bh4rnnr
10-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Jones Pass is spooky to me for sure! A few years back I lost my 300 Honda Fourtrax off that edge of the pass at the top! The snow "didn't seem too bad" and there was a strip of dirt at the edge nearly all the way. About 20 yards into that section the ATV was determined to get too close to the edge for my comfort. I hopped off and slid the ATV, by hand, back on the road away from the edge. As soon as I started forward motion it immediately slid to the edge and started sliding further! :eek: I hopped off again and hung on to the back but gravity was not playing fair. I hung on trying to dig in my heels and stop the decent but after about 10 or more feet and starting to pick up speed I turned loose....heck....it's an ATV...indestructable right? The speed that the Honda was traveling was beyond belief!!!! Just when I thought it couldn't get worse the ATV hit a large rock and went airborn. After every hit again on the ground it not only flew higher/faster but it was becoming like a turbine in a jet engine! As it was getting what I thought was most of the way down the hill it disappeared....whew. I thought it finally stopped.....after a second or two(seemed like minutes) I heard it "hit" again, more crashing then quiet....but then it "hit" again and continued to horrify me with the sound of disintergrating ATV. It went ALL the way to the bottom! I did hike down to a point I could see it and decided to go home and come up the next day with Wildrice and some help. We did retrieve it but it was not repairable. So yes ole Jones and I have history. Would I offer my 40th Anniversary 80 to ole Jones? Not in my lifetime! Would I do it if the snow is not bad....maybe. I have done the whole pass in the early fall and it is georgeous! Great Grouse and Ptarmigan hunting! So yes I will do the run but going over the top of Jones this year probably isn't in my future unless it is on foot! :rolleyes:

Hmm, maybe it's a good thing i'm going to Tj's party instead of the run(free beer, and I have no $$$). Never even heard of the pass till Nakman brought it up. Looks like an area to explore next year.

nakman
10-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Wow!!! Great story, I can totally picture your ATV bombing down the hillside.. sorry that happened and all, but well told!

Don't worry, we'll be very safe come Saturday.

edit: Gee, I must have missed the "party at TJ's" post.. :rolleyes:

Evrgrnmtnman
10-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Jones Pass
Clear Creek County, Colorado

Nearby Towns: Empire
Nearby Trails: Bill Moore Lake, Kingston Peak, Jenny Creek
Trail Length: 9 miles

This is a gorgeous drive and could easily be done in a sedan or car with 4-wheel drive. It climbs to the Continental Divide in a series of switchbacks. You are on a ledge with a steep drop-off but none of the areas are skinny or dangerous if you're paying attention.

The scenery is gorgeous and there is a large playground at the bottom filled with mud if you're lucky.
Low-End Rating: 1
High-End Rating: 3

Just hope there's no trees around.............. :D :D :D :D

Rzeppa
10-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Unfortunately I will not be able to make the spooky night run. I have mechanical issues with both my rigs, and physical issues with me. I was really looking forward to it too!

:-(

Evrgrnmtnman
10-27-2005, 09:44 PM
Fyi

Saturday Night
Lo: 20
Mostly Cloudy. Scattered Snow Showers And Isolated Rain Showers In The Evening...then Scattered snow Showers After Midnight. Lows In The 20s To Upper 30s. Chance Of Precipitation 40 Percent.

Uncle Ben
10-27-2005, 09:51 PM
Fyi

Saturday Night
Lo: 20
Mostly Cloudy. Scattered Snow Showers And Isolated Rain Showers In The Evening...then Scattered snow Showers After Midnight. Lows In The 20s To Upper 30s. Chance Of Precipitation 40 Percent.

Darn....gonna have to have climate control turned up to 80 and maybe even the rear heater going. :p I'll have the 20 cup coffee pot ready to throw on the burner. Any kids or kids at heart going that need hot cocoa? Speak up now!

nuclearlemon
10-27-2005, 10:08 PM
screw the coffee, i want cocoa!!!!!

Uncle Ben
10-27-2005, 10:14 PM
screw the coffee, i want cocoa!!!!!

Done....just had to hear it! :D

subzali
10-27-2005, 11:25 PM
I second! :cheers:

nakman
10-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Couldn't ask for better weather.. been dry all week, so our tracks from Sunday have had ample time to melt down by now. A few inches of fresh snow will make it all that more enjoyable, with decent traction underneath!

Yes, cocoa for me too please.. just hold off on the "additives" until we're down off the hill! ;) On that, if we get off the mountain at a decent hour we may consider invating Tommyknocker's or something on the way back down. Think about it..

JadeRunner
10-29-2005, 09:13 AM
Man sounds like a great run. But, I won't be able to make it. Since I just got back from my hunting trip, my wife has other plans for me.

Uncle Ben
10-29-2005, 09:31 AM
Man sounds like a great run. But, I won't be able to make it. Since I just got back from my hunting trip, my wife has other plans for me.

How was the hunting trip Scott?

JadeRunner
10-29-2005, 10:24 AM
I didn't get one. My buddie got a cow, that was it. We didn't see many at all. They seemed to be staying in the woods, out all night feeding under the moon. Sunny days, old loud snow. You know the story. It wasn't good for most people we met either.

wesintl
10-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Interesting.. sounds about the same as first season... :(

Uncle Ben
10-29-2005, 11:35 AM
I didn't get one. My buddie got a cow, that was it. We didn't see many at all. They seemed to be staying in the woods, out all night feeding under the moon. Sunny days, old loud snow. You know the story. It wasn't good for most people we met either.

Hopefully with a little snow next weekend will be better! Thanks Scott! END: HI-JACK

So I am getting supplies together got coffee, got hot cocoa, have propane, threw in large tarp and old tent poles, tossed in tables too. Snack-a-tac Nakman has entree and related goods....what else do we need? Who's showing? :confused:

Evrgrnmtnman
10-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Guess I'm going to have to bail from this run. Got a lady friend driving up from Pueblo this evening..........Priorities, I guess.......Anyone wheeling tomorrow??? Have fun guys, I know I'm missing a fun time...