PDA

View Full Version : Argentine Pass Work Day, Saturday June 9

Red_Chili
05-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Come join us for a relaxing work day (I know, but compared to so many work days, these are easy, fun, and involve Snackster treats if we can get Nakman to come) at Argentine Pass.

In our adopt-a-road agreement, we signed up for at least two work days for the area per year. There have been hunter-built toilet facilities that need to be torn down and hauled out (no worries, they are not gross) so a pickup is helpful. We can also assess the area for things needing work or rerouting, more signage, and the like.

Argentine Pass is just above Georgetown and offers easy and extremely scenic four wheeling, and a great bouldery route following the creek almost to the mine area. It was the site of the Argentine Central Railroad, which used the now Georgetown Loop Trestle to climb in elevation and went all the way to the divide as a tourist route. We will explore mine buildings, and if the snow is melted enough we might even get to peek over the top of the divide into the Keystone valley area.

Bring gloves, shovels, hammers, lashing straps, a hardhat if you happen to have one, good boots, three-season clothing (maybe four season depending on the weather) and lunch and water.

We will meet at 9AM at the trailhead, on the Guanella Pass road above Georgetown. Be there or be square!

farnhamstj
05-07-2007, 10:13 AM
I'll be there. Turn out 2 years ago was great, last year not so good. Please everyone make an effort to attend this one. The trail is fun and beautiful, not very difficult. Trash last year was minimal. Family members/friends count toward volunteer hours, so bring the kids along. Mine will be there.

nuclearlemon
05-07-2007, 12:53 PM
i'll be there.

(¯`ˇ._.ˇ[xtr3m3]ˇ._.ˇ´¯)
05-07-2007, 03:43 PM
I can bring my pickup if a stock Tacoma with 31s can make the trail okay.

Fr¤sT
05-07-2007, 03:56 PM
Pending that nothing is going on for me that day you can count me in too. I can either ride with xtr3m3 or bring my own truck, either or.

Down side to my own truck is it has street tires, it is not 4-wheel drive, has a 6-foot bed and is a Ford F-150...hey it was a "gift" from my parents, nothing beats a paid off truck.

But right now I am blocking that date out so count me in and let me know if my truck is needed.

leiniesred
05-08-2007, 09:23 AM
So far, I'm IN.

Red_Chili
05-08-2007, 10:02 AM
ˇ._.ˇ´¯);34301']I can bring my pickup if a stock Tacoma with 31s can make the trail okay.
Should be fine. I drove the Chili there when she looked like this:

Rock Dog
05-16-2007, 10:41 PM
are you sure that is the same truck ? it kinda looks like an add from an early magazine... Just kidding. If i can trade out the after hours pager, i will be there.

treerootCO
05-21-2007, 08:00 AM
added to the calendar

Shorty
05-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Shorty is planning on being there.

Red_Chili
05-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Cool!!

Red_Chili
06-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Hey y'all, don't forget the Argentine Pass work day this Saturday. Brant sent me this email, looks like cool things afoot. Be there or be square!

Hey Bill,
Got you on the schedule, Nancy Matchette from Colorado State Parks/Trails
will be joining us for the day. She and I have worked together for a few
years now and she has come through big time for us with some funding,
patrol assistance, and grant writing help. Not sure yet if we will ride
ATV's or mooch a ride from one of you guys, if possible. I have a new sign
I would like to install up near Waldorf regarding driving around snow
drifts. Hopefully there aren't too many to get up there. I will bring the
tools and the usual paper work and maybe some doughnuts if I can keep them
secret from the cops. See ya Saturday. Brant

Brant Wobig
Clear Creek RD
Arapaho & Roosevelt National Forest
Idaho Springs, CO
(303) 567-3022

With the Chili down, I considered hitching a ride up there with my mountain bike and riding back down, any takers? I would meet you at the trailhead above Georgetown. Just a thought.

corsair23
06-04-2007, 12:20 PM
I'd drag you up there Bill but Saturday is my :Princess:'s Birthday party (the big 4) so I won't be able to attend. I was looking forward to this but the daughter only turns 4 once :)

Red_Chili
06-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Hey, thanks for the thought- as I consider it further, I think the Taco might be needed for haulage! Depending, of course, on the industry of last years' hunters with their need for 'permanent' toilets... ;)

I figger we have one more year of cleanout before we wear them out.

MDH33
06-04-2007, 02:20 PM
I'll be driving my 40 and will have an extra seat if anyone needs a lift. :thumb:

bh4rnnr
06-05-2007, 08:06 AM
If anyone has a open seat and is coming from the downtown area, I would love to join along if it's possible:beer: .

MDH33
06-05-2007, 08:11 AM
If anyone has a open seat and is coming from the downtown area, I would love to join along if it's possible:beer: .

Hey Perry, I'm only a few minutes from Downtown. 38 and Federal area. If you don't mind riding in a 40 I can swing down to your part of town on my way out.

:thumb:

bh4rnnr
06-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Hey Perry, I'm only a few minutes from Downtown. 38 and Federal area. If you don't mind riding in a 40 I can swing down to your part of town on my way out.

:thumb:

Martin, thanks for the offer. Think i'll take you up on it. Will send you a pm:beer:

nuclearlemon
06-05-2007, 12:11 PM
i won't be able to make it. i'll be dragging the raffle vehicle around to events. kbpi car show, and possibly the 4wpw sale afterwards.

Three Wheel Ben
06-05-2007, 09:32 PM
I think I'll join. I am going to camp up near there fri and sat nights. Probably Guanalla pass or clear lake fri if anyone is interested. And if I can find a spot.

Chris
06-05-2007, 09:50 PM
We will meet at 9AM at the trailhead, on the Guanella Pass road above Georgetown. Be there or be square!

Is this the Waldorf Road trailhead? I'm going to try and be there, lots of snow a couple weeks ago.

Red_Chili
06-06-2007, 08:35 AM
Yep, that's it.
OK, I'm bringing the open Taco. Hopefully someone with lockers will be there! We probably won't venture far into the snow. Brant has a sign he wants to install, and there will be the normal cleanup. A great day in the mountains!

Thanks, all; we need a good showing.

timmbuck2
06-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Probably a no...I get back late Friday night, then the wife leaves early Sunday morning....but I will try and sneak out!! :)

T

Bobzooki
06-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Already committed elswhere.

Convert
06-07-2007, 05:38 PM
I think the :Princess: and I will be there, Chili do you need me to bring my little trailer for trash? I will need to head back to town around 2pm the :Princess: has a :Princess: party to go to.

Chris
06-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Can't make it afterall, just found out my grand-daughter (6 weeks) has either measles, mumps or rubella making her a public health hazard for the next 6 weeks. :eek:

Rather than confine all 5 members of the family :Princess: and I will be helping them.

Woohoo, we have the 3 and 5 y/o tonight ;)

Yes, they are at the doc now narrowing down which illness my new darling has. :thumb:

Red_Chili
06-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I think the :Princess: and I will be there, Chili do you need me to bring my little trailer for trash? I will need to head back to town around 2pm the :Princess: has a :Princess: party to go to.
I think we will be OK without the trailer.
I hope we have a good showing! I might get discouraged about all this trail adoption stuff! It's one thing to vote on it in a meeting, another to show up with at least a quorum.

I certainly know how life gets in the way (tell me about it!). So if a very few make it, it might be a sign that we are at (or a little past) our limit on land use?

(¯`ˇ._.ˇ[xtr3m3]ˇ._.ˇ´¯)
06-08-2007, 02:32 PM
I will be there with Frost and my two little ones. I am planning on bringing my Taco as well.

sno bored
06-08-2007, 02:58 PM
I was planning on going, but i've just been told that I have to work tomorrow :(

Three Wheel Ben
06-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Great, who's going to bring the chewy chips ahoy:rant:

I was planning on going, but i've just been told that I have to work tomorrow :(

corsair23
06-08-2007, 03:49 PM
What would you guys says the drive time it one way? Trying to see if I can squeeze at least a couple hours before the daughter's bday party :)

MDH33
06-08-2007, 04:32 PM
What would you guys says the drive time it one way? Trying to see if I can squeeze at least a couple hours before the daughter's bday party :)

It takes about an hour from Denver to get up to the trailhead. Probably less if you're not driving a 40.

Chris
06-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Things cleared up for me, the grandbaby's okay. :)

Barb & I will be there. :thumb:

Convert
06-08-2007, 08:15 PM
We will be there:thumb:

Red_Chili
06-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Well don't ***I*** feel like a doofus for worrying! :D
21 folks showed up, including a few from Colorado 4x4 (thanks guys!!); we broke into two groups, and ran pretty much the entire trail system below Waldorf! That's 168 volunteer hours, folks - not a bad showing at all!

Shorty led a group with taller vehicles, the creek crossing was up to the hood on a Rubi as I understand it. We caught up to them as they were bustin' drifts on the old wagon route above the railbed.

Had some good conversation with Brant too. There may be some opportunities for the Rising Sun SeaBees to make Bill Moore Lake rock N roll with post-n-cable coming up, if that's OK with Mile High Jeep Club if we help.

Rising Sun SeaBees. Has a ring to it. We need hats. Mebbe Treeroot can come up with an emblem steali...um, "borrowing" from the real SeaBees.:D

Three Wheel Ben
06-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Here are some pics from yesterday's Argentine clean up
I haven't seen that many "pull tab" cans in years.

thanks to everyone who showed up.

Here is the sign put up last year, we talked about maybe making a steel one that won't blow away

Here is the new sign we put up yesterday.

Three Wheel Ben
06-10-2007, 08:13 PM
A few more

Chris
06-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Shorty led a group with taller vehicles, the creek crossing was up to the hood on a Rubi as I understand it.

Steve (owner of the Rubi) said it felt like he started to float at the creek crossing. :D

He sent me this pic as I entered but it doesn't really show the depth.

SCRubi
06-11-2007, 05:32 PM
You Toyota guys are a real nice bunch of people - letting some Heeps join in on the fun :thumb: I had a great time with Shorty's group. We filled alot of bags and bins with trash. The trail looks alot better now! Anyhow, those creek crossings were a little deep. Heres a good pic to Judge the crossing a little better. This is Scooter's TJ up on 37 inch rubber...

Steve~

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/Waldorf/DSCN1079.jpg

Uncle Ben
06-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Thats a great picture! We really do like J**ps but we won't admit it...second thought......NOT! :hill: JK....it's all good! :thumb:

You Toyota guys are a real nice bunch of people - letting some Heeps join in on the fun :thumb: I had a great time with Shorty's group. We filled alot of bags and bins with trash. The trail looks alot better now! Anyhow, (as Chris mentioned above) those creek crossings were a little deep. Heres a good pic to Judge the crossing a little better. This is Scooter's TJ up on 37 inch rubber...

Steve~

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/SteveChabala/Waldorf/DSCN1079.jpg

Chris
06-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Hey Steve!

Too bad we didn't get any pics of you after everyone else left. Good driving, better reaction time and nice use of the skinny pedal.

Next time we meet on the trail I think I'll put on a Depends! :eek: