PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket goo removal?

SteveH
05-14-2007, 02:10 PM
I am trying to remove the baked on remains of a head gasket on a Toyota aluminum head. A buddy went over it gently with a Scotchbrite type pad, which cleaned much of it, but some goo remains.

Other than a methylene-chloride-type remover, with very gentle scraping, what else have people done? I don't want to keep grinding away with a Scotchbrite...

Thanks,

Steve

Red_Chili
05-17-2007, 09:11 AM
You could take it to the auto parts/machine shop place and have them skim off just a tad? Should check for flatness anyway... Dunno, just a thought.

SteveH
05-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks. I've continued with acetone and paint stripper and brand new single edge razor blades and have gotten fairly close to 'clean'. This is a beater-car resto deal, and I'm trying to avoid socking huge amounts of money into it, else I'd take the head in for a light machining.

Steve

Rzeppa
05-18-2007, 04:23 PM
3M Scotchbrite wheel. Best thing since sliced bread on cleaning head mating surfaces (and a BUNCH of other auto-related tasks).

nakman
05-18-2007, 04:30 PM
3M Scotchbrite wheel. Best thing since sliced bread on cleaning head mating surfaces (and a BUNCH of other auto-related tasks).

Wow, took the paint clean off that hood! :eek: :lmao:

Rzeppa
05-18-2007, 04:40 PM
Wow, took the paint clean off that hood! :eek: :lmao:Heh. And faster and easier than just about anything else ;-)