PDA

View Full Version : Garage advice needed

treerootCO
05-18-2007, 08:08 AM
I am revisiting the idea of building a garage again. The issue I have is that the city will not allow me to build one foot from the property line, like my current garage is, unless I "add on to the existing structure". The code states that I have to build five feet from the property line if I tear down the current garage and rebuild. I only have a one car path to the backyard where the garage is so moving it four feet to the left makes it so that I have a garage I cannot access via the driveway. The grade is such that I will need to re-pour a new pad so my ideas of building half a garage behind the shed I have now and trying to leave the front facade and add to the back of it are not practical. Ige suggested I leave what I have and add another garage on the North side of my property. I am reluctant to do that, at his time, because I would eventually like to have a back yard. Since all but five feet of my property is zoned commercial, I can cover up to 80% of the North side with a building of any type. I have asked for a variance and the city will not budge. Any ideas?

Red_Chili
05-18-2007, 08:16 AM
My garage is something like your proposed, on the south side, with the garage door facing north. If you can build that close to the property line, IMHO it is worth it. My driveway requires a three point turn because the city would have required so much driveway off the alley, the garage would have been in our bedroom. Making it a side load allowed me to put it 10' off the alley, which conveniently forms another parking spot next to the alley.

IMHO, with Colorado water & drought, mowing, fertilizing, etc., large yards are highly overrated... but then I do have a beautiful park one block away. :D

nuclearlemon
05-18-2007, 08:35 AM
cement the entire yard, than you won't care where your garage is :hill:

Uncle Ben
05-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Tear down the house and put a bed in the attic of the new garage! :thumb: :hill:

nakman
05-18-2007, 08:45 AM
I thought you wanted to move? Only build the garage if you're ok staying put for a few more years..

But IMO you should rip down the "crappy garage" altogether, then build what you want in its place. I had to leave 5' on both sides of my shed as well, but it's actually not that bad.. because that's where you're going to store all your extra leaf springs, body panels, the engine hoist, etc. Once you pass your inspection you can add on a little awning to the side of the garage at fence-level to keep some of the snow & sun off, I don't think you'll mind walking around the garage to access the parts storage area... it'll also double as a second bathroom ;) :hill:

treerootCO
05-18-2007, 08:53 AM
I was going to move but I am doing my best not to overextend myself. I would need to move out of state to afford something. Colorado is insane...

If I build the garage 5' from the property line, I will not be able to get the trucks to it. The turn around the house is in front of the garage as it sits now. A garage you can't park in is rather silly.

60wag
05-18-2007, 08:54 AM
I'd go for a new garage on the North side. You can always tear down the old shed later to free up yard space - space that will be on the sunny side of the new garage rather than in the shadow.

nakman
05-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Ok, good points. I change my opinion then and now think you should build in your furthest back NE corner. Then a nice gate up at the street to access the driveway.

Rezarf
05-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Mike your first drawing makes the most sense to me. It is hard to see in the pic, but is there an alley behind you? If so, a pull through garage with front and rear doors would be top notch.

I would make a workshop on a second leve/loft if space and coin allows.

Drew

treerootCO
05-18-2007, 10:15 AM
no alley and I have an 80 year old oak tree in the NE corner of the yard. The trunk of the tree is at least four feet wide. I would hate to build a garage in front of it. There might be room for a garage on the North by the small driveway but.......same problem. 5 feet from the property line and I can't access the garage door.

MDH33
05-18-2007, 12:26 PM
I think you should enlarge you existing garage a little, - Then buy a warehouse space somewhere nearby for the rest of your rigs. :thumb:

treerootCO
05-18-2007, 12:43 PM
believe me, I am trying. Lenders won't allow me to borrow money against my house to buy land and I can't afford two mortgage payments at the moment. I would much rather buy land and build a house on it.

60wag
05-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Ok, how about..... new garage on the south side, 5 foot side easement, but don't make it a full double deep. That way you have room make the needed turn to clear the door.

Shark Bait
05-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Mike, if you move it ten feet from the property line and extend the driveway and make the south side of the new garage the entrance, would that work? :eek: I agree with the loft in the attic of the garage idea. That way you have a place to sleep when you get kicked out of the house. :grinpimp:

wesintl
05-18-2007, 03:02 PM
sell the duramax and get an older diesel to tow with and save some $

land is much better than american diesels in the long run... you think land is expensive now, it's only going to go up