PDA

View Full Version : Red Chili has nearly met his demise...

Squishy!
05-26-2007, 09:01 PM
I just got a call from my parents and my dad has rolled the Red Chili 3/4 of the way over at Moab. :( So any support would be good. Bill is just fine, but he's quite bummed out. And my mom and bro weren't in the truck. so they'll be back Monday, and the Chili is still drivable. Anyway all your prayers and support would rock.

Dad says the damage is not too bad considering, but it is still crunched and he is bummed.

[edit]I saw it, it's amazingly OK when you think about it actually rolling over - Dad's sick about it though. We'll have to get it fixed no doubt!

Thanks

nuclearlemon
05-26-2007, 09:26 PM
damn...that sucks.

glad everyone's ok though.

treerootCO
05-26-2007, 10:00 PM
that really really sucks:( Did they get off the trail yet? Is it drivable enough that they can get home? I'll run the trailer down there if they need me to

subzali
05-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Sorry to hear that Justin and Bill...after all the wrench time that's gone into that truck :( Glad nobody got hurt.

Shark Bait
05-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Ouch! Glad to hear everyone is OK. :eek: :)

nakman
05-26-2007, 10:36 PM
owwwwy. Glad everyone's ok.

pics? :o

corsair23
05-27-2007, 02:38 AM
Total bummer...glad to hear everyone is ok!!

Uncle Ben
05-27-2007, 06:03 AM
Bill,

I'm so sorry to hear that news! I'm glad everyones OK! Let me know if I can help! :(

SROR/AKA 2BAD
05-27-2007, 09:36 AM
you have our prayers from castle rock.
i'll pass it on.

Myredyota
05-27-2007, 10:39 AM
That really sucks! I am glad that they are all ok.:bowdown: When does the wrenchfest begin?

Hants
05-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Bummer... glad all the people are OK. Red Chili will be better than ever in short order. :)

MDH33
05-27-2007, 12:36 PM
:( Total drag. :( Sorry to hear that. Glad no one was hurt.

Kipper
05-27-2007, 09:19 PM
dang man, bummer. such a pretty truck.

AxleIke
05-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Very sorry to hear that.

Prayer's sent. Thanks are also sent that everyone is okay, and no one was injured seriously.

Sounds like it was body damage only? I'm guessing that it will be a while before you know for sure, but i've heard people have good luck with body swaps on these trucks. I don't know how easy it will be with the 3.4, however, but perhaps an option to look into if the frame and the mechanicals are all still sound.

Let us know if you need help in anyway. Happy to pitch in.

Chris
05-27-2007, 09:31 PM
:(

Sorry to hear this, metal can be replaced.

Glad nobody was hurt.

wesintl
05-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Bummer dude. On the bright side it's time for some new mods :)

ScaldedDog
05-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi all,

Bill and his family were over here with our group when this happened. It cost a couple of hours, but he drove it off the trail and back to town. He did break a front main leaf, but braced it today so it's roadworthy. He's even got side mirrors back on it. :D

Bill barely got a scratch, and the vehicle actually looks pretty good, for a genuine 3/4 roll. (A full roll, if you count getting winched back on it's wheels.) I was chatting with a guy in the parking lot when Bill pulled in this afternoon, and the guy commented on what a nice 'Runner that was.

It's a crummy thing to happen, but it could have been way worse, and there were blessings all around.

Mark

Red_Chili
05-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Well, I got one thing to say....

:bawl:
http://darkestspiral.greentinted.com/temp/wahmbulance.jpg

At least this time a helicopter ride was unnecessary.....:cheers:

Well, I shall soon find out just how good my insurance company is. (Traveller's, a stated value policy, so totalling it is extremely unlikely.) For a full roll the amount of damage is shockingly little. The truck hit on the passenger front hard enough to break the main leaf, then it flopped on the side and I got to see the windshield spider (thinking, "I did it. Nothing I can do now." Just resignation). Then to my surprise it kept going and the world was upside down. Then it KEPT going and I thought "Dang! Touched ALL the sides!!! She's toast"). It landed on the driver's side hard enough to BREAK the bead off the aluminum wheel and leave a readable imprint in reverse of the sidewall letters. After about a minute and a half of making sure nothing bad had happened to ME, I climbed out. Pretty sick feeling.

I think when she is fixed, I'm gonna follow the Dave Brown philosophy and keep it pristine, shiny and beautiful and I'm gonna remain a cautious wheeler. I can see why when guys twist and damage their rig they often go whole hog aggressive and drive it into the rocky ground, but that just ain't my rhythm. It's my classic car addiction in 4x4 colors I guess.

The right side is munched in the back, and the front fender is munched. The hood is almost unscathed, and the top never touched (sunroof open too). The driver's side door is barely touched, the fender and rear side are munched. The hi-lift did its duty and spent itself protecting the hood. The rear tire upper hinge gave itself in battle and did a wondrous job of protection, and is ready for the next battle (God forbid!). When it's fixed it shall find a matching mate on the right side as well, to protect it - very impressive side benefit to having an upper hinge.

I wonder what Oleg's lead time is? Either Oleg (1st choice) or Bradford Auto Body here in Littleton.

[edit]BTW, saw Dave Brown in Moab, he didn't see me. Looked like he had a smile on his face and Red Fox was bright, red and shiney. Good turns. It was good to see him on vacation and smiles after his loss! :cheers:

gcmandrake
05-28-2007, 08:45 PM
Good to hear that you are all right. It's just sheet metal. You can make it better, faster, stronger...we have the technology...

the Other Matt

Hulk
05-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Bill, sorry to hear about your truck. Glad you're OK!

Son of Mayhem
05-29-2007, 12:59 AM
Dang, that sucks, talk about a clean rig too.

Good luck with both recoverys, mental and the rig's physical:D

MDH33
05-29-2007, 07:52 AM
Glad to hear you're going to put the effort into fixing the damage Bill. It's a great rig and worth it.

Pic I snapped prior to departing for Elephant Hill.

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/150459967-L.jpg

Red_Chili
05-29-2007, 08:04 AM
Mmmmmmm.... man, that inspires me to make it just like it was. Thanks for that.

JadeRunner
05-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Sorry to hear. Especially because It seemed like you always kept you rig in such perfect condition.

So how do this happen, what's the story? You have always been such a conservative driver in my experience, passing up things like Whale rock multiple years, even know you new your rig could do it.

Red_Chili
05-29-2007, 08:29 AM
Embarrassing PM sent...

Red_Chili
05-29-2007, 11:46 AM
Well, the insurance claims dude is showing up today at 3:30. Think happy thoughts! Prayers appreciated.

Chris
05-29-2007, 11:59 AM
:Princess: spent 30 years with what is now Travelers. She says you'll be treated well. ;)

Inukshuk
05-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Glad you are ok. Amazing rolls don't occur more often.

Now that we know you are ok.....what happened? Pictures? They cannot be worse than (and yes, that's the sheared off rear axle next to my 60), may she rest in pieces (that some of you still have!):

Red_Chili
05-29-2007, 05:15 PM
:Princess: spent 30 years with what is now Travelers. She says you'll be treated well. ;)
That's been my experience as well! I really like the company and have recommended them in the past. Farmers, State Farm, not so much :rant:.

Just parted ways with the adjuster, nice guy. Said it was obvious the Chili was my baby. I provided web quotes for various parts and things damaged. I guessed ~$8K damage, his figures came to about $8300. He also included frame rack time, just in case - the left rockslider took a hit, and the driver's side door gap is wider at the top (don't remember if it was that way before, don't think so). He said it would normally be totaled, but with a stated value policy that may change everything, and he will get back to me tomorrow when the head adjuster in Florida is back in the office.

Red_Chili
05-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Glad you are ok. Amazing rolls don't occur more often.

Now that we know you are ok.....what happened? Pictures? They cannot be worse than (and yes, that's the sheared off rear axle next to my 60), may she rest in pieces (that some of you still have!):
OUCH!

Nay
05-29-2007, 06:27 PM
I really hope you get her back together...Chili is a rig truly worth emulating in both design concept and one of a kind results. I always saw her as the way to do things right by designing from the ground up instead of tearing down a more modern factory platform. Glad you are all ok and best wishes on getting the insurance $$$ to start Chili III :cheers:

leiniesred
05-29-2007, 08:25 PM
That sucks, Bill. Really glad you are OK.
One door closes...another opens.
-S

nuclearlemon
05-29-2007, 09:32 PM
not like you really had doors on there anyways :D

Romer
05-30-2007, 02:36 AM
Bill glad you all are OK and I know you will use this as an opportunity to make improvements.

Red_Chili
05-30-2007, 06:33 AM
That sucks, Bill. Really glad you are OK.
One door closes...another opens.
-S
Yeah, that's pretty much it.
One door closes pretty well. The other one wants to stay open.:lmao:

J Kimmel
05-30-2007, 06:43 AM
bummer dude, good thing that everyone was ok :)

I wouldn't go too hog wild fixing it, clean it up and drive it :)

Uncle Ben
05-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Sir William.....

You know your gonna have to fill in the blanks here pretty soon! So suck it up doood and come clean on how the great Chili pilot got himself whooped! Inquiring followers wanna know! ;) :bowdown: :bill: :thumb:

Red_Chili
05-30-2007, 07:37 AM
Stupidity.

Just off of Gemini Bridges area for the uninitiated. I tried to take a very rocky section without a spotter. I figured an angled line and more skinny pedal than I usually like would work just fine (as JadeRunner noted, I am usually silly conservative. That is likely to be more the case going forward!).

Took a bad bounce, I was closer to the edge than I realized, the right front wheel slipped to the right due to my inattention to exactly where I was, fell off the rock, the truck went about 40* and that was all she wrote. The rollover was slow enough for me to do some serious contemplatin' while watching the world go round.

art hog
05-30-2007, 07:52 AM
I thought you were testing your Caribou cargo control system. Did you tool box stay put?

Terry

Red_Chili
05-30-2007, 08:01 AM
bummer dude, good thing that everyone was ok :)

I wouldn't go too hog wild fixing it, clean it up and drive it :)
Naw, I've realized that ain't my style. I know there are two schools of thought (to put it way too simplistically):
1) Don't fix it, it will just get damaged again - go wild, build it big, thrash it cuz now you got nuttin' to worry about, and build something else when the wheels fall off.
2) Fix it up right. You won't enjoy hard stuff as much because you'll be concerned about scratches, dents and the like. So lay back a bit, enjoy your craftsmanship, enjoy the vehicle and the wildlands, and follow your heart.

I've tried #1 with the first Red Chili, and frankly I didn't like it. I've also known guys who did #1, and there is an end game to that too: they keep wheeling more extreme trails and end up burning out (and going broke fixing things!). They stop enjoying the backcountry for what it is too.

Fact is, the Chili is to me what classic hot rods are to some guys. Only I can go hunting, camping, and take the fam to incredible places in it. The silver lining to me is that this presents an opportunity to learn more about me I guess, to fix the Chili to pristine levels realizing Toyota simply does not make a vehicle like this any more, and I really dig it. Seeing Dave Brown's Red Fox in Moab really cemented it for me - that is one stellar, clean, beautiful classic rig. He wheels it, but doesn't abuse it.

That's my flavor. Expedition rig. Not a rock crawler.

I know my analysis paints with way too broad a brush, and doesn't fit everyone - just clarifying for me. Kinda like the raffle rig winning in a hot rod show. That's just too cool.

Red_Chili
05-30-2007, 08:09 AM
I thought you were testing your Caribou cargo control system. Did you tool box stay put?

Terry
Absolutely, positively, solidly in place. And broke out nicely when I needed tools to make sure there was not an oil hydrolock in the motor.

I have plans for the second case, for my Big Friendly Hammer, hacksaw, welding rod, pickle fork, battery drill, electric impact wrench, other heavy stuff - I gained a real appreciation for keeping things stowed! Even one of my side panel doors opened by itself, spewing stuff. Secure storage can save a life!

FJBen
05-30-2007, 08:46 AM
That sucks! I had that same dilemma as we all know over a year ago :flop:

I know that feeling, what to do. I'm not a basher either...i don't mind a little bumps/scrapes...but I like wheeling a clean rig (not that mine is clean neither was my pig :D )

Build her back up!

AxleIke
05-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Naw, I've realized that ain't my style. I know there are two schools of thought (to put it way too simplistically):
1) Don't fix it, it will just get damaged again - go wild, build it big, thrash it cuz now you got nuttin' to worry about, and build something else when the wheels fall off.
2) Fix it up right. You won't enjoy hard stuff as much because you'll be concerned about scratches, dents and the like. So lay back a bit, enjoy your craftsmanship, enjoy the vehicle and the wildlands, and follow your heart.

I've tried #1 with the first Red Chili, and frankly I didn't like it. I've also known guys who did #1, and there is an end game to that too: they keep wheeling more extreme trails and end up burning out (and going broke fixing things!). They stop enjoying the backcountry for what it is too.

Fact is, the Chili is to me what classic hot rods are to some guys. Only I can go hunting, camping, and take the fam to incredible places in it. The silver lining to me is that this presents an opportunity to learn more about me I guess, to fix the Chili to pristine levels realizing Toyota simply does not make a vehicle like this any more, and I really dig it. Seeing Dave Brown's Red Fox in Moab really cemented it for me - that is one stellar, clean, beautiful classic rig. He wheels it, but doesn't abuse it.

That's my flavor. Expedition rig. Not a rock crawler.

I know my analysis paints with way too broad a brush, and doesn't fit everyone - just clarifying for me. Kinda like the raffle rig winning in a hot rod show. That's just too cool.

FINALLY! Someone who feels like i do, that a built truck doesn't have to be a beat truck.

Kudos man, i'm really happy to see that you are going to fix it up and keep it nice.

I love to see blinged out rock trucks, and i admire the components, but a beautiful truck with sweet hardware is far, far cooler in my book.

Nay
05-30-2007, 11:02 AM
FINALLY! Someone who feels like i do, that a built truck doesn't have to be a beat truck.

Kudos man, i'm really happy to see that you are going to fix it up and keep it nice.

I love to see blinged out rock trucks, and i admire the components, but a beautiful truck with sweet hardware is far, far cooler in my book.

I actually think this sentiment applies to most of us and it's the Keeping Up With the Joneses mentality on the web that takes many people too far. I have watched so many people go crazy modifying their rigs, and I've seen more divorces come out of that than anything else. You can spend your life trying to get that extra 5% when you had the 95% under you belt for a few grand and a weekend of your time.

It's just so much easier getting a nice challenge on Old Chinaman's than on Carnage BV. It costs a mere fraction, you get to see a lot more world class terrain, your truck will be far prettier, and unless you get silly you'll drive it home with some brush scratches or maybe a punctured sidewall or candy cane driveshaft at the worst. And if you have kids, you can take them along and give them experiences they will respect and remember forever.

I heard a good quote the other day that I think adapts well here. Your kids won't remember the vehicles you had, the perfect matching color of the sofa you had in the perfect house you had. They will remember what you did with them, the experiences you shared with them. That's why I thought the Chili was so cool and I admire any rig that shares that basic approach of "get somewhere amazing in great style and capability and share that experience with other people who matter to you". The rocks in the way only add to the color and flavor of the stories you then get to tell :cheers:

RockRunner
05-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Bill,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. We saw you and Mark both in Moab a few times in passing, each time to late to wave or honk. We did see you at the Auto parts store and I mentioned to Sharon that your truck looked different but was driving by so did not get a good look.

We also saw Red Fox on the trail with a bunch of other guys, I said hi but he did not recognize me so I left it at that as both groups had to move on.

I nearly rolled mine too doing the same thing you did, I will explain it in an other thread as not to high jack yours.

Glad to hear all is well and the insurance company is staying true.

Rezarf
05-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Bill-

I am coming in a bit late, but it is worth repeating... glad you're doing okay.

Sorry man, that stinks!

Drew

Shorty
05-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Sorry, Bill, but I just now heard. Glad you and the family are OK. God was definitely watching over you for you to not get hurt in that.

Oh, well, you were out of projects to do on Red Chili anyway--right? ;)

DevinSixtySeven
05-31-2007, 01:09 PM
Bill-

Just saw this. Also realized I've seen plenty of pics of the front of your rig, from the side shot I she's really a beauty. Glad to hear you're OK, and getting ready for option #2...I'm sure it'll be worth it.

-Sean

Red_Chili
06-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Update: I had a day of high anxiety... Seems that Traveller's could not find the endorsement for extra coverage that made the policy a 'stated value' policy. Oh my. That would have been disastrous. Traveller's never acted like they were trying to get out of it or anything, they just lost the doc.

To the rescue came my agent who had complete records and faxed them a copy. I should have the estimate and authorization to pay in hand shortly!

My agent is HRH Insurance BTW. They deserve a plug. I might also mention that the Traveller's estimator went out of his way when Red Chili I was totalled by a Ford Explorer, offering research time to bolster my claim against State Farm (the Explorer insurance). Losing the link to the endorsement falls under "stuff happens". I have been extremely pleased with Traveller's for years, and expect only happy news on the road to Red Chili III (same truck, whole branny new look). :D

Rock Dog
06-01-2007, 04:49 PM
I am sorry to hear what happened.. But with your meticulous eye for detail, i am sure that Red Chili III will be even better!!!

I am just glad to hear you are alright. First Cheeseman, and now you... The one thing that can be said is neither one of you got seriously hurt.

But this RED runner thing.... I am sticking with the gold!

farnhamstj
06-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Glad to hear you are alright. Kudo's to the insurance company for taking care of you. Good luck with the rebuild process.

Uncle Ben
06-02-2007, 02:03 PM
I am sorry to hear what happened.. But with your meticulous eye for detail, i am sure that Red Chili III will be even better!!!

I am just glad to hear you are alright. First Cheeseman, and now you... The one thing that can be said is neither one of you got seriously hurt.

But this RED runner thing.... I am sticking with the gold!

Hey....now I understand! We used to play that game when we were kids!!!!

"Red Runner....red Runner....send Billy right over!" :lmao: :lmao: :hill:

Red_Chili
06-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Update.
My agent screwed up writing the policy. As you can imagine I've been having some heartburn issues over it. The normal course of events would be, Traveller's would total the vehicle, which is exactly why I bought a stated value policy. The good news is, HRH is stepping up to the plate, and is admitting they did not write the policy correctly, and they are making good on it per a phone call I had from the agent. The Traveller's guy said he needs to check with their VP, and with corporate counsel (!!!), but that either they will total it and the agent will make up the difference and I can fix the thing (then go through a lot of hoops to recertify the title no doubt), or they will fix it and the agent will compensate them for the difference. Obviously I prefer choice B.

A convoluted tale, but it does look like it will work out. As stated, I am very happy with HRH for standing behind this (and with Traveller's, they could have just said "too bad, kid" and totalled it), I do know mistakes happen. DAMHIK.

sleeoffroad
06-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Bill, if they pay you and you fix it, then the title would be clear. However you have to check, because if they do that, I believe you will not be able to get comprehensive coverage on it again.

Red_Chili
06-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah, that would be my worry. I know the title would not have an encumbrance, but it would be reissued as a 'salvage' title. Oleg probably knows the ins and outs of that too, so I know it can be navigated, but IMHO a pain I'd like to avoid.

subzali
06-11-2007, 09:23 PM
First Cheeseman, and now you...

Sorry to steal the thread...what happened to Cheeseman?

Red_Chili
06-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Greg did his in a gentle roll in the mud no less! I flopped mine on jagged slickrock and somehow emerged with less structural damage. Go figger.

An in-cab rollcage is looking more attractive all the time.

Red_Chili
06-15-2007, 03:45 PM
OK, I feel I owe my agent some major pimping, as well as Traveller's Insurance. Traveller's called with the final determination.

The agent whiffed the stated value policy on some detail. Mistakes happen, I make them, I understand. It would have been oh-so-easy for Traveller's to go by the book and bail on the policy, total the truck for a fraction of what it is worth, and stick me with the repair bill or starting over, and for the agency to just say I was not covered, sorry 'bout that. OH-so easy.

They did none of that. Instead, the agency called and told me they screwed up, but that they would stand behind it and to not worry. Traveller's worked with the agent, did NOT total the truck (though it would have been to their advantage to do so) and worked with the agent to reimburse them the difference rather than make me work the middle, because it would be much easier for me long term. They are not nickel diming me either, though they won't paint the roof of the cab because it was undamaged.

I could not be happier (though it did take 2.5 weeks of stress). I suspect that HRH Insurance is now particularly adept at correctly writing stated value policies :D, and I would recommend such, and them, to the club. Shoot them a call if you are interested, and mention my story and endorsement for their doing the right thing.

HRH Insurance
Carol DeRosa
303-722-7776

She has intestinal fortitude for calling me personally and immediately and unambiguously admitting fault. She is a good person!

[P.S. it does appear the 4Runner body is a bit 'tweaked'. They threw in some frame machine time just in case.]

Chris
06-15-2007, 04:00 PM
Good to hear Bill! Glad they stood up to their responsibility, they're good good company. I, for one, have become aware that I don't have a stated value policy and will be correcting that a.s.ap. My wife put in 30 years with what is now Travelers and I should thank them every day for the benefits we have received.

I'll call Carol to make the change and suggest everyone else to check their policy.