PDA

View Full Version : Did a stupid thing

RockRunner
05-30-2007, 02:41 PM
First of let me start by saying, I KNOW I DID A STUPID THING and YES I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE LOOKED FOR MYSELF.

Now onto my stupid, boneheaded, moronic move of the year. We had just finished Fins & Things and were on the way back to the camping area. Just before the last turn before you get to the entrance to Hells Revenge is a little play area, I think it is called "little Lions Back" but I am not sure. Anyway the leader of the group pulled in and asked who wanted to drive up the hill, one of his passengers agreed to drive up so we did. I had my wife drive our truck up so she could say she did it and give her confidence in the traction and gearing, low+low+5.29= 223 to 1 she walked up it like a pro.

Once we got to the top we did not see the other trucks pull off so we stopped, John our guide asked if we wanted to come down the easy way or the hard way. We choose the hard way and Sharon and I swapped seats. I positioned the truck according to Johns directions and looked down the hill, I could not see where I would be coming down but John had guided me all day and he would not steer me wrong. Well he did, sort of. I am still not sure what it looked like where I came down and would like to see some pictures if any of you have any.

I slowly rolled over the edge fully expecting to see the run out of the hill in front of me, I did not. The truck slowly continued on its way down with the tires sort of sliding/skidding. Just before I could see the ground below the tires skidded a little faster and the steering wheel was yanked out of my hands in a violent motion, the left front tire had made contact and turned out fully taking my wrist with it as the wheel turned. Onlookers had a look of terror in their faces and for a moment my truck sat there balanced near vertically with the rear tires about 16-20 inches of the ground.

The truck slowly fell backwards, the rear tires bouncing of the rock. Feeling that the truck had settled I slowly let out the clutch again and gave it some gas, we drove out of it like driving of the edge of your drive way. No more sliding or tires barking just back to horizontal and my passengers letting out a sigh of relief.

We drove out of the area to where the other vehicles were parked and stopped for a minute. I was going to get out and see what I just came down and what it really was that nearly caused me to do a forward face plant into the sand with a forward tumble afterward. I never got a chance to see it and we never went back after that to take a look.

The people that were with our group did not take any pictures before or after so I am asking any of you, if you know the area I am talking about and have some pictures of the area please post or send them my way. I would like to know what I came down.

I know I should have gotten out and looked for myself but I didn't and there are a bunch of other things I should have done, believe me we discussed nearly all of them that night and the nights after. I learned not to just go by the word of a spotter, I know I have the last word.

So if anybody has a shot out there of the steep back side of what I believe to be little Lions Back just past Hells Revenge please let me know.

nakman
05-30-2007, 02:51 PM
So you went up, then across the top of the rock, and then did this headed down the back side, towards that big puddle? The further right you go on the way down, the worse it is.. there's an indentation in the rock that makes it get very vertical. I'll look for pics tonight..

"Baby Lion's Back" is the official name, fwiw..

RockRunner
05-30-2007, 02:55 PM
You are correct, instead of going throught the puddle I went to the left if you are still on the rock. If you are standing and watching it would be to the right.

Any pictures are appreciated, my wife and I both want to see where we came down. We went pretty far left and once we went passed the break over point there was no turning back.

MDH33
05-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Leif and Jim shot some video of us around Baby Lions Back after the big rain storm during Cruise Moab this year. We were running down the right side into the deep water. Leif climbed back up the steep right side (facing back uphill, left facing down). I don't recall anything out of the ordinary that would have spun your wheel. Maybe Leif or Jim will post up some vid?

RockRunner
05-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Leif and Jim shot some video of us around Baby Lions Back after the big rain storm during Cruise Moab this year. We were running down the right side into the deep water. Leif climbed back up the steep right side (facing back uphill, left facing down). I don't recall anything out of the ordinary that would have spun your wheel. Maybe Leif or Jim will post up some vid?

It could have just been a rock that hit my left tire ( drivers side ) who knows. I just want to see how steep it gets, one reason is for experience and the other why I could not see much.

Magoo
05-30-2007, 03:24 PM
i still have mud on my cruiser from that puddle from cm05.
you sir probably still have mud in your shorts from that episode i would think.i wimped and went way left coming down it i think,i had no spotter.

Nemo
05-30-2007, 04:18 PM
I have done the far left in the Cruiser of course and never had that experience. I am talking left from the top of the rock looking down. I have also done the right where the passenger wheel takes a little further drop and scares the be-jeezus out of you but never got my rear wheels to come off the ground doing so. Is it the left you are referring to? If it is it is pretty darned steep but nothing too bad. I would guess you got lucky and caught a rock there to cause a little break in traction.:bowdown:

nakman
05-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Ok, here we are coming up the back side of Baby Lion's.. Tom if you went way left on the way down then I suspect your driver's tire maybe fell off that little ledge? Doesn't seem like much of a hill from the picture, but different story when you're driving for sure...

edit: or if you were "just missing" the puddle and your passenger tire fell into that other tiny hole, that would be scary as well, it's actually steeper over there.

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.)
05-30-2007, 08:58 PM
I agree it seems way steeper when you are driving it. The video I shot is going down the right side.

Hulk
05-30-2007, 09:30 PM
Wow. I've gone up the part you came down. Sounds scary.

RockRunner
05-31-2007, 07:46 AM
Nope that wasn't it, you could not see the bottem of the hill at all. It was far left when coming down by the water hole. i would say about 30 to 40 feet to the left.

nakman
05-31-2007, 08:27 AM
Nope that wasn't it, you could not see the bottem of the hill at all. It was far left when coming down by the water hole. i would say about 30 to 40 feet to the left.

Wow, ok. well I think you "Star Trekked" it then.. nice! :bowdown:

Inukshuk
05-31-2007, 05:10 PM
What you came down......

corsair23
05-31-2007, 05:27 PM
Wow, ok. well I think you "Star Trekked" it then.. nice! :bowdown:

So, is that like touching a fresh 9-volt battery to your tongue for the first time to "test it", not knowing what it will do? :hill:

Inukshuk
05-31-2007, 05:27 PM
I also just uploaded a video to the CM 07 Gallery of Matt and Neil driving up.

Hulk
05-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Link? I don't see it in the gallery.