PDA

View Full Version : 1982 FJ40 in Denver HELP

actionslacks
05-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Hi, my name is Brian and I just purchased a 1982 FJ40 in Denver. (off EBAY for $9000) I need someone in Denver that could take a look for me. I am in Virginia. Any help would be appreciated. Attached is the item url:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...B:EOIBSA:MT:31

NOTE: I ran a car fax on the VIN and it came out with "turnover" accident in MT in 2000. Current owner claims he had no idea? Also, current owner is in Minnesota and his brother in law is selling for him. Not to get complicated, huh?:confused:

Anyhow, before I dive into the purchase if anyone would help that would be great. Please respond to bbarnes09@yahoo.com

Thanks!

isotel
05-31-2007, 04:00 PM
link's not working.. Sorry to here about that.. a bit to late if you already purchased it! along as its all back together properly i would not worry about it that much!

actionslacks
05-31-2007, 04:08 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260121421405&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:MT:31

revised link

yes, I bid, won, then checked VIN. but better now then after I pick up. but still remain interested in buying. Thanks

Hulk
05-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Looks pretty clean. Can you find out what part of Denver it's in? The metro area is pretty big, and our members are peppered throughout the area. Maybe this will be close to where someone works or lives.

If it's really nice, we can save you the trouble of shipping it. :D

Kidding. Just kidding. Heh.

actionslacks
05-31-2007, 05:33 PM
I would ideally like Ron at RMC to take a look, but they are out until June 04.

or if anyone could recommend a local shop that is familiar with 40's that would be an option.

Thanks-

Shark Bait
05-31-2007, 05:35 PM
Michigan plates. Mushro is in Michigan. :eek: It's hard to tell from the background of the pictures. It could be anywhere. :D

The Toy Shop, 1185 S Cherokee. Or you could ask Irbis Offroad in Aurora. That's Oleg, one of our members. www.irbisoffroad.com

MDH33
05-31-2007, 05:43 PM
Michigan plates. Mushro is in Michigan. :eek: ...

That's what I was thinking too. Maybe it's one of Mushros that someone is trying to unload??

actionslacks
05-31-2007, 05:50 PM
the current owner (and auto check backs it up) states he bought in Salt Lake City and previously it was registered in MT. He also didn't know it was involved in a "roll over" accident.:confused: So I want to have a local wrench take a good look before I wire funds. I appreciate all the quick replies!

Michigan plates because owner didn't want to register in Denver because he knew he would be moving back? (his brother-in-law is selling for him)

Everything else checks out... I know many red flags but the vehicle was used a third vechicle to go to Whole Paycheck on the weekend to buy tofu. He put less than 1000 miles on it in 4 years.

corsair23
05-31-2007, 06:12 PM
Brian,

Ask the seller for more time to get the vehicle checked out using the undisclosed accident as the reason - He "should" be ok with that considering he didn't know and you didn't know. Luckily (I guess), you bought a year with a VIN that you can check :). Maybe if you can provide an exact address someone can stop by over the weekend and if nothing else give it a cursory look from the outside (assuming it is outdoors). Anyone live in Aurora that could swing by? :confused:

Honestly all of this leg work should have been done before committing to buy but I've been in your shoes before and know how that sometimes doesn't work out...

If you can convince the seller to take the 40 over to Ron at RMC (assuming he can get to it) for a thorough check up that would be a plus. Irbis is closer to the vehicle by quite a bit though. If the seller balks at this then that might tell you something. Looking at the bidding you only won the auction by $100 so the seller could offer it to bidder #6 for $8900, you pay him the $100 difference, and walk/run away.

Just looking at the pictures it does look pretty clean although the rust in the rear quarters is not what I would classify as "Small amount of superficial rust". It is obvious from the pictures that there is some rust through in the quarters...If the 40 spent most of its life in UT (certain parts) and MT there is a good chance there is more rust than there seems to be.

IMO, for $9K you should be able to find better but it has been awhile since I've shopped for a 40 :)

Matt or Wes, should this be moved to Tech or Chat?

actionslacks
05-31-2007, 09:08 PM
I spoke with Oleg this afternoon, he will contact seller to set up a full vehicle inspection for $120. (seems fair)

The seller did not disclose VIN until 2 days before auction end (among other things). Yes, I was a little overzealous in my bidding but think that I got a decent deal for a 82 if structurally it has not been damaged. The seller and I have an agreement that if the inspection report comes back negative that I have the option to not purchase the vehicle.

Again, thanks for all the help in finding someone close to take a look.

wesintl
05-31-2007, 09:15 PM
good luck. oleg is a good choice.

Where in Va?

nakman
05-31-2007, 09:40 PM
Action, either way that's $120 well spent. Is he going to take it to his shop? :)

corsair23
05-31-2007, 09:45 PM
I spoke with Oleg this afternoon, he will contact seller to set up a full vehicle inspection for $120. (seems fair)

The seller did not disclose VIN until 2 days before auction end (among other things). Yes, I was a little overzealous in my bidding but think that I got a decent deal for a 82 if structurally it has not been damaged. The seller and I have an agreement that if the inspection report comes back negative that I have the option to not purchase the vehicle.

Again, thanks for all the help in finding someone close to take a look.

Cool :thumb:. Hope it all works out! And I would say yes, knowing how well Oleg will check out the vehicle for you, that $120 is a bargain especially considering how much the rig will end up costing you by the time you get her home.

Keep us aprised of how it goes, as we always like to know the ending.

actionslacks
06-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Yea, hopefully it checks out and by mid June, I should be driving around with a big grin.

I am located in NOVA (Manassas). FYI: I got a quote for shipping at $1025 door to door insured. Delivery gauranteed in less than 7 days. (Showroom Transport) It would cost me that much to get through Kansas if I drove.

corsair23
06-01-2007, 12:52 PM
FYI: I got a quote for shipping at $1025 door to door insured. Delivery gauranteed in less than 7 days. (Showroom Transport) It would cost me that much to get through Kansas if I drove.

Seems like a great price! I think I paid $500-$700 to get my '74 FJ40 from CA to CO a couple years ago.

wesintl
06-01-2007, 05:48 PM
ah manasshole. Growing up in clifton i'm very familiar with that area :thumb:

actionslacks
06-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Oleg checked out the cruiser and in short it was $120 well spent. The owner completely misrepresented the condition of the cruiser and had to be blind if he didn't recognize the high school body shop repairs.

The search continues... thanks Rising Sun forum for all your help.

Uncle Ben
06-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Oleg checked out the cruiser and in short it was $120 well spent. The owner completely misrepresented the condition of the cruiser and had to be blind if he didn't recognize the high school body shop repairs.

The search continues... thanks Rising Sun forum for all your help.
Sorry dude....thats a bummer! I agree about the 120 well spent dollars! Good luck on your search!

corsair23
06-03-2007, 02:40 AM
Glad it all worked out for you Brian (sort of) in the end. $120 is a whole lot better than $9000 :)