PDA

View Full Version : Locker thoughts...

FJBen
05-31-2007, 04:57 PM
still building...and building and building...

saving money for 30 spline longs at the moment, hopefully in the next couple of weeks, I need to re-seal my front end anyways..

I have an ARB. I was going to put it in the rear axle and just run it like that for the year, but now I'm contemplating running it in the front and quicklocking the rear.

A few questions. It's my daily driver, it's on 37's I have a V8. Will a quicklock/aussie/lockwrong hold up?

Thoughts? what would you do?

A: ARB rear/open front cheapest option

B: ARB front/aussie-quicklok rear fully locked

nuclearlemon
05-31-2007, 05:33 PM
i'd go option b. since you already have the expensive locker, you've got the worst part taken care of. the aussies are inexpensive and tough and you'll regret not having both. i know i do.

Uncle Ben
05-31-2007, 05:39 PM
B.

Shark Bait
05-31-2007, 05:41 PM
I've got an ARB in the front of my project. I bought an Aussie Locker for the rear, but after the ARB presentation I was considering ponying up the money for an ARB for the rear. Or maybe a Detroit. What's the best choice of the three for the rear? :D

Uncle Ben
05-31-2007, 08:00 PM
I've got an ARB in the front of my project. I bought an Aussie Locker for the rear, but after the ARB presentation I was considering ponying up the money for an ARB for the rear. Or maybe a Detroit. What's the best choice of the three for the rear? :D

You know what my answer would be for a hard core rig! So I'll refrain...:cool:

nuclearlemon
05-31-2007, 08:01 PM

best, arb
second best and best for po' folk, aussie
m.o. take it or leave it

Uncle Ben
05-31-2007, 08:04 PM
best, arb
second best and best for po' folk, aussie
m.o. take it or leave it

Geeze....I expect a different opinion but you struck out on the order of all three! IMNSHO :hill: :rolleyes: :p:

Shark Bait
05-31-2007, 08:24 PM
I know what Kevin's alluding to. Put a Detroit in the rear. After listening to Chris Wood's presentation it sounds like an ARB is pretty darn strong. Would there be more risks with an ARB? I don't know. It might be nice to be open in the rear when you want to. If I go with a Detroit I should probably cryo the rear axles, or go with 4340's. Are 35" tires too much for an Aussie locker? Hmmm. :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben
05-31-2007, 08:46 PM
I know what Kevin's alluding to. Put a Detroit in the rear. After listening to Chris Wood's presentation it sounds like an ARB is pretty darn strong. Would there be more risks with an ARB? I don't know. It might be nice to be open in the rear when you want to. If I go with a Detroit I should probably cryo the rear axles, or go with 4340's. Are 35" tires too much for an Aussie locker? Hmmm. :rolleyes:

Detroit's (real) and ARB's are both stronger than anything else in the entire housing. My vote for a Detroit in the rear of a hard core rig over an ARB is due to the fact that if it takes all wheels pulling to get you deep into a nasty trail then a possible failure of a compressor/fitting/piston/o-ring means you will be on a strap on the way out. I am a believer of Lock Rights also but they do wear out where a Detroit or ARB often will survive a few different vehicles! If the rig is more on the street than on the trail then ARB's start shining brighter! For the front, Detroit is still are king of traction and stregnth but there are times when they simply will not allow the vehicle to turn if 4 wd is needed (both front tires will slide sideways while they are both spinning).

If I was to buy or recommend a "Lunchbox" type of locker it would be LR all the way as they did the R&D and the knock off Aussie and Detroit No-spins simply cheated and created mass copies for big profit with no R&D overhead.

corsair23
05-31-2007, 09:38 PM
My vote for a Detroit in the rear of a hard core rig over an ARB is due to the fact that if it takes all wheels pulling to get you deep into a nasty trail then a possible failure of a compressor/fitting/piston/o-ring means you will be on a strap on the way out.

Not to stir the pot too much :hill: but Chris showed us the "equipment" he/ARB recommends to have as spares, especially when not having the locker would mean leaving the vehicle or getting strapped out. You could fit it all in the glove box pretty much...Even if you went overkill and had a spare compressor on hand all of the parts would take up about as much room, maybe less, than say a birf.

That new compressor that basically can work upways, downways, sideways, under water, etc. was pretty impressive as well. Of course the list didn't include any of the internal locker parts but if the locker itself grenaded you'd have bigger problems to worry about :eek:

Nay
05-31-2007, 10:21 PM
You'll hate a Detroit with a manual transmission (it's manual, right?) on a short wheelbase for road use. Never listen to a long wheebase guy with a slushbox about any automatic locker :D

ARB both ends. The cost is in the compressor, which you already have. I agree the potential for failure is there, but you drive it on the road so it all comes down to the best balance.

Uncle Ben
05-31-2007, 10:32 PM
You'll hate a Detroit with a manual transmission (it's manual, right?) on a short wheelbase for road use. Never listen to a long wheebase guy with a slushbox about any automatic locker :D

ARB both ends. The cost is in the compressor, which you already have. I agree the potential for failure is there, but you drive it on the road so it all comes down to the best balance.

Sorry son,
Been wheeling,truck pulling and drag racing standards with lockers,spools and welded rears longer than you've been using wheels.

Love Dad.... :eek: :lmao: :hill:

Red_Chili
05-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Sorry Dad, gotta rebel. ARB both ends. Best of both worlds! Especially for a multipurpose rig.
Don't do an auto locker on ice, d00d...

Uncle Ben
05-31-2007, 11:45 PM
Sorry Dad, gotta rebel. ARB both ends. Best of both worlds! Especially for a multipurpose rig.
Don't do an auto locker on ice, d00d...

It's all good! Just be glad I'm only your Uncle! Besides who can argue about ARB's dependability? I know Neil's sure enjoyed his Runner in Moab this year....oh wait....

nuclearlemon
06-01-2007, 12:07 AM
Geeze....I expect a different opinion but you struck out on the order of all three! IMNSHO :hill: :rolleyes: :p:

i'm just not impressed with the detroits. too much money, too hard to deal with on the trail, don't like the amount of backlash in them. i've beat on my two aussies and i got two for the price of one detroit.

i'd prefer to have the option of open both ends, but 650 for an arb vs. 250 for an aussie....well, the aussie's in my po' ass price range.

Red_Chili
06-01-2007, 08:26 AM
It's all good! Just be glad I'm only your Uncle! Besides who can argue about ARB's dependability? I know Neil's sure enjoyed his Runner in Moab this year....oh wait....
I know I did...
I think Neil puts beer in his diffs, that may have something to do with it.
But seriously, have you ever seen a product that didn't have the occasional lemon?
My son ran a lunchbox locker and scared the peach pits out of himself on sidehills and especially in snow. Loves his elocker in the rear, ARB in the front!

Nay
06-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Sorry son,
Been wheeling,truck pulling and drag racing standards with lockers,spools and welded rears longer than you've been using wheels.

Love Dad.... :eek: :lmao: :hill:

:hill:

I know, I know...but you don't want your other boy running around in a 40 with a rear Detroit in those winter conditions now do you? Damn thing will be banging around and kicking out the rear every time he shifts around a corner.

I had one o' them Detroits once upon a time...loved it...but it was sittin' behind a slush and AWD in a Currie HP 9 and acted prettier n' a LSD in the worst winter stuff and perfect on the trail.

If she won't see extended winter use and you don't mind it clanging around, I dig the rear auto locker. If you like the skinny pedal on that V8 SWB yer gonna hate it :cool:

Uncle Ben
06-01-2007, 08:54 AM
I know I did...
I think Neil puts beer in his diffs, that may have something to do with it.
But seriously, have you ever seen a product that didn't have the occasional lemon?
My son ran a lunchbox locker and scared the peach pits out of himself on sidehills and especially in snow. Loves his elocker in the rear, ARB in the front!

Since I have refrained :rolleyes: I'll finish by my chart.

talking rear only
Trail beast = Detroit
trail with some street = Detroit or ARB
Street and trail = ARB or Detroit
Street with some trail = ARB

You can supplement a "lunchbox
locker (LL)" in my choices for Detroit if cost is an issue....however, LL's have so much inherent drive train slop that they can be harsh especially in shorter wheelbase standard trans setups. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it...out. :rolleyes: :blah: ;)

Fronts are a whole different ball game! But I will refrain...:rolleyes: :lmao: :hill:

wesintl
06-01-2007, 09:24 AM
:hill:

I know, I know...but you don't want your other boy running around in a 40 with a rear Detroit in those winter conditions now do you? Damn thing will be banging around and kicking out the rear every time he shifts around a corner.

i have a lockrite in the rear of my 70. SWB. it's fine you just need to adjust your driving habits a tad and engauge 4wd sooner in the snow. In 4wd mine rear locked is hardly noticable. I also had this lockrite in a 60. Mine doesn't bang around any corner either.

I don't like detroits personally. IMHO if your that hard core weld the rear. if not just about the same money can be spent on an arb sands compressor.

It was fun changing out that detroit on the trail eh UB:confused: :eek:

FJBen
06-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Wow, didn't expect this much from the thread...:D

This rig is my daily driver :thumb: year in/out :D

I'm a little worried about a few things, that is the quirky driving with the auto-locker. Maybe I'm just too much of a :Princess: but I don't really like a crappy/quirky driving rig...even more so than it already is.

That probably answers my question right there. I should just stick the ARB in the rear axle, save money til I can put one in the front.

I have a torquey 350 and an SM420...not so smooth shift points :D I would hate to have it jumping sideways evertime I shift...especially on ice. My wife would amazingly hate it as well.

Red_Chili
06-01-2007, 10:48 AM
And there you go.

One thing to keep in mind, Wes is SWB but the power characteristics are... steady. Yeah, that's it, steady. :D

FWIW, my son's peachpitectomies were OFFroad. On the street it was merely annoying. He has a light rear though. The truck does I mean.

Uncle Ben
06-01-2007, 11:13 AM
It was fun changing out that detroit on the trail eh UB:confused: :eek:

Ever swap out a broken axle on the trail with an ARB? Bout the same as a Detroit as far as PITA c-clip factor!

Rezarf
06-01-2007, 11:14 AM
I agree Ben, my 40 is my DD and I am saving coin for a set of the ARB's... man it takes a lot of coin! $$$$$$$$

But in the end, I think it is worth it. My rig is not hard core by any means, but it is a great daily driver!

Drew

Uncle Ben
06-01-2007, 11:14 AM

I'm a little worried about a few things, that is the quirky driving with the auto-locker. Maybe I'm just too much of a :Princess: but I don't really like a crappy/quirky driving rig...even more so than it already is.

That probably answers my question right there. I should just stick the ARB in the rear axle, save money til I can put one in the front.

I have a torquey 350 and an SM420...not so smooth shift points :D I would hate to have it jumping sideways evertime I shift...especially on ice. My wife would amazingly hate it as well.

Sounds like a good choice!

Shark Bait
06-01-2007, 11:17 AM

That probably answers my question right there. I should just stick the ARB in the rear axle, save money till I can put one in the front.

I actually have only ever had Lock Rights/Aussie Lockers ever. They're not that bad. Like Wes says, you adjust your driving habits a little. It doesn't always push the rear end out on a start, just sometimes.

If anyone's interested in my Aussie Locker I'd sell it. NIB. Send me a PM. I'm starting a fund for a rear ARB. :grinpimp:

Hulk
06-01-2007, 01:39 PM
I have a Lockright in the rear of my 40. I bought it used from Dan Dilley. He hammered on it and so have I. When I broke my rear axle a couple of years ago, the lockright still looked perfect.

Never had much issue with snow and ice. I do get the usual banging going around a sharp corner slowly, but you can avoid it by giving it a little gas to disengage just as you start the turn.

Red_Chili
06-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Ever swap out a broken axle on the trail with an ARB? Bout the same as a Detroit as far as PITA c-clip factor!
Forgot about you c-clip types...

trucruiser
06-01-2007, 03:11 PM

Ben,
I think you are on the right path with this statement.
SM420, 350 V8 And locked rear on a daily driver short wheel base dont sound like a whole lota fun, especially with our Colorado snow.
Dual ARB's actually can increase value on your rig like none of the others should you decide to sell in the future.
Just My opinion.

Back in my first cruiser i had a rear locker on a hunting trip to Walden, parked it on a slight slope and after raining and snowing all day jumped in the cruiser to go back to camp at the end of a sloppy day, i almost ended up at the bottom of the mountain, had to strap out of a little mud snow mix because the back end just wanted to slid down the hill.

wesintl
06-01-2007, 05:45 PM

only assisted so I can't really say. I hate the allen heads and the grinidng you have to do to get it in.

why don't you weld and cryo the rear :D

Uncle Ben
06-01-2007, 05:58 PM
only assisted so I can't really say. I hate the allen heads and the grinidng you have to do to get it in.

why don't you weld and cryo the rear :D

Spools and welded rears actually are smoother than you would think! I ran a welded in WR for a little while and most of the time I really liked it! The times I didn't like it I totally hated it! My favorite hate story was at a Wendy's in Boulder one hot summer day. I went through the drive through and all was well until I had to make the sharp u bend at the order kiosk. The grooved Swampers did their job too well and the inside rear would not spin. I was quite a site sliding my front tires sideways trying to turn over and over and over! Finally, I just got aggressive enough to start the rear tires spinning and made the turn....now that sucked! :lmao: :rolleyes:

FJBen
06-04-2007, 09:41 AM
lol...parking lot fun...

I'd like to keep my tires for awhile...:eek:

The plan is to go ARB/ARB....with ARB in rear to start off.

Questions:

Pablocruise gave a 3rd from a '69 to stick my ARB in/build. I thought there were some differences in bolt sizes on 3rds? :confused: Will this 69 fit in my 67' housing without issue?

Ben

Uncle Ben
06-04-2007, 10:01 AM
lol...parking lot fun...

I'd like to keep my tires for awhile...:eek:

The plan is to go ARB/ARB....with ARB in rear to start off.

Questions:

Pablocruise gave a 3rd from a '69 to stick my ARB in/build. I thought there were some differences in bolt sizes on 3rds? :confused: Will this 69 fit in my 67' housing without issue?

Ben

You'll love the locker choice!

As for the Carriers...Internally no differance. I'm not positive when the housings changed stud size but thats something you can do a quick visual on. Older had the small 10mm hstuds and later models went to 12mm studs.

AxleIke
06-04-2007, 10:10 AM
yes, you will love that.

Red_Chili
06-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Especially with the new floating seals and awesomely strong case!
(and not that the old one wasn't strong, eh!)

FJBen
06-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Well, this isn't my first dance with ARB's :D the piggy was fully locked with them so I'm just spoiled I guess. I would buy the second one for the front, but that moneys going to 30 spline longs :thumb:

I have a NIB one that I think is a year or two old. Anyway to verify the year or if It has the new seals???

Red_Chili
06-04-2007, 11:53 AM
The new floating seal setup is retained by a ring, whereas the old one was retained by three allen head screws that screwed into a retaining ring that went behind the carrier bearing lockring.

You likely have the older style, which ain't bad at all really. You can retrofit the new style but this would require changing the end cap of the locker, making it a bit 'spensive.

FJBen
06-04-2007, 02:19 PM
The new floating seal setup is retained by a ring, whereas the old one was retained by three allen head screws that screwed into a retaining ring that went behind the carrier bearing lockring.

You likely have the older style, which ain't bad at all really. You can retrofit the new style but this would require changing the end cap of the locker, making it a bit 'spensive.

Good to know :) :beer: I never had any issues with my old ARB's...so I won't mess with it.

FJBen
06-06-2007, 05:17 PM
nuther question regarding install kits: using the same gears.

New bearings carrier, pinion, crush sleeve?

New bearings crush sleeve, shims, ring gear bolts?

Just use old setup if the bearings are good?

I noticed most of the kits are just bearings/crush sleeve. Is there a reason for that, that I'm unaware? I'm assuming the smartest path would be the full master kit, bearings, sleeve, ring bolts, shims for pinion, seal etc.

FJBen
06-07-2007, 02:51 PM
nuther question regarding install kits: using the same gears.

New bearings carrier, pinion, crush sleeve?

New bearings crush sleeve, shims, ring gear bolts?

Just use old setup if the bearings are good?

I noticed most of the kits are just bearings/crush sleeve. Is there a reason for that, that I'm unaware? I'm assuming the smartest path would be the full master kit, bearings, sleeve, ring bolts, shims for pinion, seal etc.

anyone???

AxleIke
06-07-2007, 09:23 PM
I personally would replace everything while i was in there.

You are spending a bunch of money on the locker, having it ruined due to old bearings giving out would be a real kicker.

Replace it now while the truck is down, and then you don't have to worry about it.

Uncle Ben
06-07-2007, 11:37 PM
Cheapest place I know is 4 Wheel Parts Whorehouse. Get the Genuine Gear Master set. All quality stuff except the pinion seal....get that from Toy!

Red_Chili
06-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Genu-Whine, huh?

Uncle Ben
06-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Genu-Whine, huh?

Thats the stuff! We are talking set up kits not the Gen-U-Whine R&P. Interesting how many folks call them Gen-U-Whine! Now that is a solid reputation! :rolleyes: