PDA

View Full Version : getting things re-chromed?

CardinalFJ60
06-07-2007, 03:57 PM
This would be considered a "school me" thread...

I'd like to get the bumpers on my Karmann Ghia re-chromed one of these days. does anyone know about how much it costs to get things re-chromed? what kind of prep do I have to do? (can I just drop'em off, and they'll blast and re-chrome?

And...who around the Denver/Boulder area does such a thing? What are the questions I need to ask? :blah: :blah:

thanks!

Uncle Ben
06-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Back when I had things that chrome was acceptable on the best place on the entire front range was Fort Collins Bumper and plating. Not sure now....

wesintl
06-07-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm interested too. I have a bumper and a bezel that is chrome now that needs to be rechromed. Remember OEM chrome is OK ;)

74fj40
11-19-2007, 07:33 AM
Resurrecting this thread - anyone have recommendations in town?
TIA

Uncle Ben
11-19-2007, 07:45 AM
Call places that work with lowriders and/or street rods and ask who they recommend (I am serious!). I do believe there is a clause in the RS SOP's that state anyone who chromes hinges and other Cruiser parts will be flogged with greasy speedo cables and require proof of test driving Jeeps in low range, windows open, through TLCA events in order to be considered for further club involvement! Consider yourself WARNED! :rant: :hill:

nuclearlemon
11-19-2007, 08:40 AM
might try denver bumper.

Beater
11-19-2007, 08:51 AM
denver bumper only does bumpers. period

denver metal finishing is right here by my work, on steel and 42 I think. They do it all, electropolishing and plating.

74fj40
11-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Should have made this clear up front - it's NOT for the cruiser!!!
Call places that work with lowriders and/or street rods and ask who they recommend (I am serious!). I do believe there is a clause in the RS SOP's that state anyone who chromes hinges and other Cruiser parts will be flogged with greasy speedo cables and require proof of test driving Jeeps in low range, windows open, through TLCA events in order to be considered for further club involvement! Consider yourself WARNED! :rant: :hill:

74fj40
11-19-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks, I'll give 'em a call!
denver bumper only does bumpers. period

denver metal finishing is right here by my work, on steel and 42 I think. They do it all, electropolishing and plating.

Red_Chili
11-19-2007, 10:20 AM
I called around several places in town when we needed our clawfoot tub feet nickeled. Many send the stuff out of town to do, due to emissions and EPA stuff anymore. Found a small shop that was also the cheapest, and quick turnaround too, just call around and describe the job and they will likely give you a phone quote.

subzali
11-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Careful now UB, there was an article a couple TT ago that featured a chromed-out FJ40 :shudder: that reminded me of Buford from the days of Brother Andy...and I mean the list of chromed stuff was exactly as Brother Andy described it...

doo doo doo doo the Cruiser gods are watching...

:hill:

Uncle Ben
11-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Careful now UB, there was an article a couple TT ago that featured a chromed-out FJ40 :shudder: that reminded me of Buford from the days of Brother Andy...and I mean the list of chromed stuff was exactly as Brother Andy described it...

doo doo doo doo the Cruiser gods are watching...

:hill:

Ohhhh....the sacraledge! Between plated bling-bling, Lexus and non-Cruisers on the cover I'm tempted to cancel my membership! :rant: :rolleyes:

NOTE: the above comments are based on early idiot-crazy that many will remember....for those who are new to TLCA please disregard! It was just a bad dream and all will be better when we all wake up! :rolleyes: ;)

MDH33
11-19-2007, 04:20 PM
... I do believe there is a clause in the RS SOP's that state anyone who chromes hinges and other Cruiser parts will be flogged with greasy speedo cables and require proof of test driving Jeeps in low range, windows open, through TLCA events in order to be considered for further club involvement! Consider yourself WARNED! :rant: :hill:

Heyyyy!!! I like my chromed hood bling bling!! :D

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/223338773-M.jpg

Red_Chili
11-19-2007, 04:23 PM
...I do believe there is a clause in the RS SOP's that state anyone who chromes hinges and other Cruiser parts will be flogged with greasy speedo cables ...
This, from a latte-drinking heated seat 80 guy??!?! :lmao::p::p:

74fj40
11-19-2007, 06:25 PM
OMG - you wouldn't believe the cost of re-chroming - one piece of window trim - 3 ft long by 1" wide flat steel - $125-$150....

I'm glad that the EPA has clamped down on regulations regarding the disposal of chemicals, but can't somebody come up with a more cost effective method of doing this....

...besides chrome colored spray paint....

Uncle Ben
11-19-2007, 07:18 PM
OMG - you wouldn't believe the cost of re-chroming - one piece of window trim - 3 ft long by 1" wide flat steel - $125-$150....

I'm glad that the EPA has clamped down on regulations regarding the disposal of chemicals, but can't somebody come up with a more cost effective method of doing this....

...besides chrome colored spray paint....

Black colored spray paint? :rolleyes: ;)

74fj40
11-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Under normal (cruiser)circumstances,I'd be all over that - it'd go well with my rattle can job - but this is for my new baby - 1970 Porsche 911T
Black colored spray paint? :rolleyes: ;)

Uncle Ben
11-19-2007, 10:04 PM
This, from a latte-drinking heated seat 80 guy??!?! :lmao::p::p:

Aint got much chrome dude! Pearl Antique Black emblems Polished aluminum and Stainless are not Chrome! http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Misc/coolgleamA.gif
:thumb::thumb::bowdown::kevin:

MDH33
11-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Under normal (cruiser)circumstances,I'd be all over that - it'd go well with my rattle can job - but this is for my new baby - 1970 Porsche 911T

This statement requires a new thread that includes PICS!! :D :thumb:

Rezarf
11-20-2007, 09:08 AM
This statement requires a new thread that includes PICS!! :D :thumb:

x100! :D

Soon, you and Ken can drag race down the street with your super hero sports cars!

Come on with the pics Max!

FWIW, there are some sweet poished aluminum looking powder coats out there. Might be more cost effective and set it apart... if that is what you are looking for.

Drew

74fj40
11-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Pics....

wesintl
11-20-2007, 07:39 PM
lol.. you guys bought a 911 :grinpimp:

Uncle Ben
11-20-2007, 09:41 PM
That is true art! How does that fit into the budget? ;) :hill:

74fj40
11-21-2007, 08:46 AM
it doesn't.....but we did it anywayThat is true art! How does that fit into the budget? ;) :hill:

Uncle Ben
11-21-2007, 08:54 AM
it doesn't.....but we did it anyway Thats cool! Gotta set a good example for the kids! :D

74fj40
11-21-2007, 08:59 AM
gotta teach them about debt somehow...
Thats cool! Gotta set a good example for the kids! :D

Hulk
11-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Wow, that thing is sweet.

Beater
11-26-2007, 06:41 AM
max - I was a pca member for years.. you going to solo it? or just have fun? is that a 2.7? better watch those chain tensioners..

I possibly have some resources for you, I don't know if they are still in business though. A guy named ron on 4th & Federal used to run a used/nos parts business

Don't laugh, but I would LOVE to find a 912, and set it up for autocross... I have had enough of speed, I just love the corners these days..