PDA

View Full Version : Ok, talk me out of (or into) the original Slee-built 470

nakman
06-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Ever since Mike told me it was for sale last night I can't stop thinking about it. .. always thought this was a sweet truck http://denver.craigslist.org/car/345803615.html

But $24K means must sell the 80, sell the 40, and still come up with a few bucks. Yeah I could swing it, but it would be sad, especially sad with the 80 since I've had that for so long and put so much into it. But then again the LX has everything I've put into the 80 right? (sliders, bumpers, batts, winch, gears, tires, maintence, etc.) plus a couple things I don't have. And wheeling the new FJ's plus seeing some of the stuff other guys have been able to do has essentially squashed my IFS objections..

It's really down to how attached I am to my current cruisers and could I love an LX as much? Ah well, probably a moot point anyway as I'm sure it's been snatched up by now (I did send an email, haven't heard back). someone tell me I'm nuts :blah:

Shark Bait
06-07-2007, 10:00 PM
I don't think you're nuts at all. The thought has crossed my mind to look at a newer 100 series with lower miles. And after watching Ben wheel his .... Hhmmmmmm. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

nakman
06-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah but would you sell your 80 and your 40 to do it?

I asked, and those are the terms. :rolleyes:

Corbet
06-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Its still available.

I contacted the owner today as my wife actually voiced an interest in it. We decided not to go and look at it as the timing is not right for us. But I think I have her sold on a 100 series as her next vehicle

Beater
06-07-2007, 10:37 PM
sell treeroot yours, and the 40 will find a home easy.. you NEED than pimp mobile

Jenny Cruiser
06-07-2007, 10:42 PM
I think the very fact you're considering it is reason enough to go with it. It's got everything but a supercharger on it, but I wouldn't give more than 21 for it. Do what you gotta do.:thumb:

Jenny Cruiser
06-07-2007, 10:47 PM
If you look at the second to the last pic it looks like he's being strapped out of a sticky situation.

P.S. You're nuts.:D

Shark Bait
06-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Yeah but would you sell your 80 and your 40 to do it?

I asked, and those are the terms. :rolleyes:

Yes. And once I finish my 40 I'd probably get enough for both to buy a 100. Hmmmmm. This is sounding even nicer. ;)

Shark Bait
06-07-2007, 10:51 PM
sell treeroot yours, That's a capital idea. Fellow members that are 80-less are probably the best candidates to buy. :p:

lfd270ben
06-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Id probably be interested in your 80

Nay
06-08-2007, 01:00 AM
What you want is that 100 series with the SFA conversion they just brought to CM. That's worth scrapping an 80 and a 40 for :D

Shark Bait
06-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Id probably be interested in your 80

Hmmmmm. You do like red, huh? :D

Hulk
06-08-2007, 01:15 AM
It won't be long until we start seeing lots of 100s on the trails. Look at it this way: the newest 80 series is a decade old; probably older if you consider the actual date of manufacture. When I started looking for my first 40, back in 1994, the newest (albeit extremely rare) U.S.-sold FJ40 was 11 years old.

FJ40s were hard to find in Chicago. I didn't buy one until Jan. 1996.

sleeoffroad
06-08-2007, 07:46 AM
I think the very fact you're considering it is reason enough to go with it. It's got everything but a supercharger on it, but I wouldn't give more than 21 for it. Do what you gotta do.:thumb:

The truck is worth every cent the guy is asking and then some. I know I built it :D

The regearing on a 100 with ARB's is way more expensive than a 80 since you essentially buy two rear lockers to do the job with some custom machining.

The parts alone on that truck is about $20k not counting labor to install it.

As for where it was strapped, that was on the ARB trip when I broke the front diff and axle due to driver error (me being stupid).

Whoever buys that is getting a good deal.

Tim, whether you would be happy with the 100 over the 80, I am not sure. If you are going to start wheeling your 80 harder, then maybe not. If you want a truck that is capable and use it as you currently do the 80, then I think you will be happy. All you need is to add the ham radio :D

Red_Chili
06-08-2007, 08:50 AM
It won't be long until we start seeing lots of 100s on the trails. Look at it this way: the newest 80 series is a decade old; probably older if you consider the actual date of manufacture. When I started looking for my first 40, back in 1994, the newest (albeit extremely rare) U.S.-sold FJ40 was 11 years old.

FJ40s were hard to find in Chicago. I didn't buy one until Jan. 1996.
I guess I am a dissenter. I am impressed with the 80's capability and potential, especially since it combines luxo-liner accoutrements with a solid axle and respectable articulation. But after owning IFS vehicles for a long time, there really is no comparison. You can wheel the snot out of an IFS rig, especially if you are as good as Ben, but the same driver can do so much better with a SFA.

If Toyota doesn't come out with some competition for the 4-door Rubi soon, I fear when the Chili becomes iron ore again I shall have to be a Land Use guy with the Mile High Jeep Club...:rolleyes:

Nah. I'll SAS whatever...

MDH33
06-08-2007, 09:05 AM
You'll always need to have a 40. :thumb:

nakman
06-08-2007, 09:23 AM
You'll always need to have a 40. :thumb:

Agreed, but I could go without for a while then pick up another later for a project..

Starting to like this idea though, and one of you guys could end up with a sweet 80 if this pans out. The guy still hasn't written me back yet though.. I'm going to email him again if I don't hear by lunch or so.

wesintl
06-08-2007, 09:36 AM
I wish this rig was a few months down the road once the wife is back at work and the tdi is paid off. I can't fathom not having the tdi for milage right now.

I'll always have a 40. I'm a 40 guy. I love the old iron. Even with having a 70 in it's own right getting old I still had to have a 40. That's me though and I know some guys can't stand those old things. I use it mainly to go to the store on saturday vs wheelin though. Problem is i need a comfortable vehicle that can get me to the trail head and back in a reasonable time. Damn, I guess I should get on that turbo :(

Bobzooki
06-08-2007, 09:39 AM
That's a capital idea. Fellow members that are 80-less are probably the best candidates to buy. :p:

Yolu talkin' to ME? :ranger:

Three Wheel Ben
06-08-2007, 11:51 AM
As most of you know my 100 is the first ifs wheeler I've ever had. Personally I like the comfort of driving it to the trail and wheeling it. It is fairly sterile compared to wheeling a 40 or even my runner (but so is an 80). I can pretty much point it and shoot and not have to worry about it. You learn to drive a little different with ifs. Example you know the diff will not rise out of the way when one of the ft wheels starts climbing a rock. You get used to it. It makes it much easier to convince the family to go wheeling too. I don't think you'd be disappointed Tim if you picked it up. You'd just have one less car. And oh god think of the work to transfer all the lights :lmao: :D

corsair23
06-08-2007, 01:48 PM
...someone tell me I'm nuts :blah:

Nah, nuts would be me doing that...You at least have actually been wheeling the 80 for more than a couple months :D

I agree with the others though that the 100 is a sweet truck, but so is your 80 Tim! And you only just started on the 40. Sometimes newer isn't always better but then again driving around with the V8 in luxury doesn't sound all that bad. I was surprised though in talking to Ben that the V8 (at least the early ones) doesn't make all that much more power than the I6 in the 80s.

Tough decision...

Shark Bait
06-08-2007, 02:28 PM
I agree with the others though that the 100 is a sweet truck, .... Sometimes newer isn't always better but then again driving around with the V8 in luxury doesn't sound all that bad. I was surprised though in talking to Ben that the V8 (at least the early ones) doesn't make all that much more power than the I6 in the 80s.

If there was version that got a little better gas mileage I'd be all over it. Now.

(I gotta get that 40 done! :eek:)

Red_Chili
06-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Or one that could fit between the trees on tight trails... :lmao:

farnhamstj
06-08-2007, 02:49 PM
As a 100 owner. I say go for it. Price seems fair for the way it's set up. The locker in the front is an expensive addition. You won't regret owning a plush ride. "doen't make that much more power" still, more is better. gas milage is about the same as 80. I get 15-17 mpg. 14 if I romp on it.

Three Wheel Ben
06-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Or one that could fit between the trees on tight trails... :lmao:

It'll fit, just have to fold the mirrors:D Just stay out of the body snatcher.

engine specs

1fz
212hp
275lb/ft
9.0:1 comp ratio

2uz (100)
230hp
320lb/ft
9.6:1 comp ratio

There is a thread on mud somewhere in the 100 section about body dimensions and the 100 is not much bigger than the 80. Like 1/2" wider. It just has worse approach/departure angles and seems wider because of the 80 fender flares.

Romer
06-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Ahh, but a 1FZ with a supercharger

nakman
06-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Ken, I may have a 40 for sale, interested? has power steering..

farnhamstj
06-08-2007, 03:33 PM
I know someone looking for an 80.

wesintl
06-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Do it Tim.. Do it! :thumb:

corsair23
06-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Tim,

To help you make your decision easier, you could check with Christo and see how much you can start charging him to have "your" rig on his banner ;)

That's got to be worthing something right :)

nakman
06-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Didn't buy it..

I met him (Ryan) this morning, checked it out. nice fella. Selling it because he's trying to get out of a car loan, just bought a new house, gas prices, etc. Very nice still overall, didn't look abused at all in fact he said he'd only had it out wheeling like 5x and it looked like it. No scratches at all on the driveshafts, the little t-case skid, or even the sliders or bumpers. the body is still very nice, but the sliders & rear bumper definitely have some surface rust where it appears the powder coating is coming off..

The aluminum roof rack is sweet, dual batt system still appears to be in tact and working fine. Drawers in back are nice too. No RTT, no welder, no fridge, no shovel, jack... no engine cooker. If you're expecting this truck http://www.sleeoffroad.com/project_vehicles/UZJ100/UZJ100_main.htm you'll be disappointed, and in fact it's not quite this (http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/lx470/tz_lx470_main.htm) truck any more . He said he got an offer yesterday for $21K, is thinking about it. An offer today for $22K he'd probably take it. Showed it twice yesterday, think he had another one after me today.

In all honesty this truck is worth what he's asking.. the re-gearing to 4.88's alone is worth the $3K over stock price, then figure you get all the bumpers sliders drawers & winch for free. But it didn't feel like the right move for me, especially considering I've got an 80 that's at least as capable sitting at home, just not quite as fast or as comfy. And I'm worried about selling both other trucks, how easy/painful that would actually be. Someone else who doesn't already have a built wagon buy this thing.

Shark Bait
06-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Well, at least you looked at it. :D Opened the door to possibility and took a peek. :eek:

Jenny Cruiser
06-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Didn't buy it..

If you're expecting this truck http://www.sleeoffroad.com/project_vehicles/UZJ100/UZJ100_main.htm you'll be disappointed, and in fact it's not quite this (http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/lx470/tz_lx470_main.htm) truck any more . He said he got an offer yesterday for $21K, is thinking about it.

Sorry it didn't work out.

sleeoffroad
06-09-2007, 04:15 PM
If you're expecting this truck http://www.sleeoffroad.com/project_vehicles/UZJ100/UZJ100_main.htm you'll be disappointed,

Actually the truck above you would not be able to touch for $24k. :D

and in fact it's not quite this (http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/lx470/tz_lx470_main.htm)truck any more .

We pulled the welder when we sold it to Ryan, as well as the tent. The shovel and hi-lift is easy to add.

The rear bumper and sliders need to be recoated. Not sure why they are rusting. The only thing that I can think is that at the time it was not sandblasted because we were in a hurry to get it coated for the ARB event. $500 should more than cover it to have it redone.

It is still a hell of a deal for someone that is ready to spend money to build a truck. Regearing and adding ARB's is probably closer to $4k due to the complexities with the 100 rear diff.