PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a DVD scratch remover gadget?

Hulk
06-08-2007, 01:55 AM
My kids have scratched up one of their favorite DVDs, Animusic 2 (http://www.animusic.com/). I stopped by Ultimate Electronics after work, and they have a $40(!) device that removes scratches (which I didn't buy).

Does anyone have a similar tool that I could simply borrow? :help:

Man Jerk
06-08-2007, 09:24 AM
I have heard that toothpaste works really well. Rub from the center outward, not in a circle around the disc.

Romer
06-08-2007, 09:51 AM
I have one Matt. I should be home all day tomorrow working in the garage. I have to install the Aux fan and replace the sender in the sub tank and then replace the Tcase front pinion seal on Rachel's 4runner. Let me know if you need it today and I'll see what I can do.

Hulk
06-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Ken, I'll give you a call tonight or tomorrow. Thanks!!!

Hants
06-08-2007, 05:33 PM
I won't even give my kids an original DVD. They end up scratched within a day or two.

I make a copy of the DVD (without menus, previews, or other add-on content), and put the COPY in the original DVD case for them. I keep the originals in my desk.

I've used a few different programs over the years. The best I've found so far is DVD Shrink. It takes me about 30 minutes per dvd to make a copy (I read MUD while its burning).

Blank media (I use -R, not -RW) is cheap. Even Dual-Layer (which is required for some of the modern adult movies, but rarely for kidie movies) is cheaper than buying a new copy. :)

nakman
06-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Hants, and just want kind of modern adult movies do you have in that library anyway? :eek:

Hants
06-08-2007, 06:22 PM
:lmao:

"Caribbean Workout: Abs, Buns & Thighs" is about the wildest it gets around here. :Princess:

I guess I could have phrased that a little better... :blah:

Hulk
06-08-2007, 07:11 PM
The best I've found so far is DVD Shrink. It takes me about 30 minutes per dvd to make a copy (I read MUD while its burning).

It looks like the current stable version is 3.2.0.15, but I'll need a bittorrent client.

Any recommendations for a good bittorrent client? I haven't used bittorrent yet. I was planning to do this anyway, since I now have everything except for a few pieces of software to mod my XBox into a media center (http://www.productwiki.com/microsoft-xbox/article/how-to-go-from-xbox-to-xbox-media-center-in-30-minutes.html). :grinpimp:

Hants
06-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Yes, that's the version I'm running.

Check your email. :beer:

With the DMCA lawyers all over the world, it's pretty tough to track down DVD copying software anymore -- even if you only use it for "legitimate" purposes. :(

As far as BitTorrent, I use Microtorrent. http://www.utorrent.com/ Good features, and it doesn't overload my firewall/router the way the official client does. :)

Uncle Ben
06-08-2007, 10:30 PM
I use "I copy DVD's" Fairly inexpensive software. Of course the version you buy at the store will not copy protected disc's but a quick download from UK will update and open the software. Kinda cute as the little smiley face in the menu bar will turn into a little red devil when it first reads the protected DVD after you hit copy then it goes back to a normal smiley face but green in color. I found this software by researching options via Google.

Jenny Cruiser
06-09-2007, 04:01 AM
I use DVD Decrypter more often than DVD Shrink, but both are good and free.:)

Romer
06-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Matt, found the DVD repair thing. Mising the crank handle though. Your welcome to it if you want to take the time to figure out how to crank it.

Hants
06-09-2007, 11:22 AM
I use DVD Decrypter more often than DVD Shrink, but both are good and free.:)

I used to use DVD Decrypter to strip the protection, and another program to strip the extra menues/content and burn the copy. Have you figured out a way to do this from within DVD Decrypter?