PDA

View Full Version : What does a blood clot feel like?

treerootCO
06-09-2007, 12:03 AM
I was trying to self diagnose the pains I have been feeling and came across the symptoms of a blood clot. I'm not a hypochondriac or anything but I sure as heck not a fan of our health care providers in this country. The earliest they can see me is next Tuesday.

I re-injured my back helping mom move, lifting engine blocks, and just being dumb as usual. Everything started as a pinched nerve. I have thrown out my back numerous times and it usually goes away in a week or so. This round, I have been almost crippled every morning to the point that I just go to work carrying my shoes because I don't dare try to get down that far. The odd part is that aside from the numbness and tingling, I have pulled every muscle in my right leg to the point that it feels like every muscle is cramped. This morning, I could not get out of bed because it felt like the muscles would be pulled from the bone. Is that some sort of compensation for the nerve issues or could I be wrong in thinking I just pulled something. By mid day, it hurts but doesn't seem to be bad enough to worry about. Evenings, it gets worse...

Aside from the old snowboard injury, this is what it started as:
http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/piri.html

getting old is a pain in the ass :D

Uncle Ben
06-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Bummer dude! Hope your up and about soon! Back pain totally blows!

Shark Bait
06-09-2007, 02:33 AM
getting old is a pain in the ass :D

Wait'll you get to be my age! :eek:

Hang in there, Mike. Sounds like having a doctor look at it is the right thing.

Jenny Cruiser
06-09-2007, 03:55 AM
Tuesday's a good long wait. My friend's dad nearly died of a clot that went from his leg to his lung. What you describe doesn't sound like what he went through. I assume the tingling is in your lower extremities or is it throughout your entire body?

SROR/AKA 2BAD
06-09-2007, 03:18 PM
mike, i've lived with blood clots for over 20 years :thumb: (yeah me!!!)

i can tell you all you need to know if you want.

if you think it's in your leg, then start measuring the diameter of your leg in different spots. like the thigh and calf.
use a sharpie and make referance points on your leg so you get the same spot everytime to measure.
if the leg is swelling, it's ER time (seriously)
not sure if they still do it, but they will want to shoot a dye in your leg and take a x-ray of the flow of blood.
they may just do ultra sounds now i don't know.

give me a call if you want to talk about it.
the pain of a clot in the leg gets worse and worse as the days pass. i waited about 5 days before i went to a doctor.
went straight to the ER. being with you all today is a miracle.

let it go to far and it will be the worst pain you will EVER feel.

jim
720-837-0425

Seldom Seen
06-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Quick, down and dirty and easy to do. Lie on your back with your legs out straight. try to relax as best you can. Have someone else (you can't do it on your own, it has to be passive) place the palm of their hand on the ball of your foot. Relax your foot and have them push your foot up, "toes towards your nose." Any sharp localized pain in your calf or the back of your knee is cause for alarm. It's called a Positive Homan's Sign and it's damn near definitive. You'll have a +Homan's long before you'll see any change in calf diameter.

Red_Chili
06-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Get SeldomSeen to do a house call, Mike! I understand he works for fine ale.

getting old is a pain in the ass
Beats the only known alternative...

farnhamstj
06-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Sounds like a herniated sp? disk. I did one last summer and rt arm was numb and tingly for weeks. Still get it occationally. Pressure from the disk on the nerves. My arm also got very weak from it also. The pressure on the nerves means the muscle doesn't function properly. Didn't you just turn 30? Yep it's all downhill from here. I'm no doc so simply sharing my experiences. Lots of PT was the solution for me. Good luck

Chris
06-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Okay, if nobody else will say it, I will - fan or no fan, go to the ER.

Shark Bait
06-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Okay, if nobody else will say it, I will - fan or no fan, go to the ER.

Yeah. I saw him yesterday. In my non-professional opinion I think he's got a problem with his back.

Chris
06-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Yeah. I saw him yesterday. In my non-professional opinion I think he's got a problem with his back.

Sounds like that to me too from personal experience. Most likely the doc on Tuesday will send him to the lab to run the same tests that the ER would. I would rather spend the money today than suffer in pain for a few days and then spend it. :o

Shark Bait
06-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Sounds like that to me too from personal experience. Most likely the doc on Tuesday will send him to the lab to run the same tests that the ER would. I would rather spend the money today than suffer in pain for a few days and then spend it. :o

For his sake I hope it's not something too serious. :rolleyes:

treerootCO
06-10-2007, 10:33 PM
I've got a serious case of stupid :)

SROR/AKA 2BAD
06-10-2007, 11:57 PM
what do you mean by that?

treerootCO
06-11-2007, 09:40 AM
nothing, I just keep injuring myself. If Advil makes the pain go away, does that make it any less serious?

MDH33
06-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Sounds like a pinched nerve. Have you tried a chiropractor or even accupuncture?

Chris
06-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Martin, do you (or anyone else) know of a good acupuncturist?

It sounds to me like a disc pushing on the nerve. We had this back issue covered recently.

Treeroot - if Advil helps it also points to an inflammation/swelling issue since it's primarily an anti-inflammatory.

treerootCO
06-11-2007, 12:04 PM
I went to a chiropractor once. I have been broken ever since. Parts that didn't pop and click before seem to on a daily basis now.

MDH33
06-11-2007, 01:31 PM

It sounds to me like a disc pushing on the nerve. We had this back issue covered recently.

Treeroot - if Advil helps it also points to an inflammation/swelling issue since it's primarily an anti-inflammatory.

Jennifer at Denver Open Acupuncture 1345 East 22nd Ave 303.837.8166

Remember, don't take Advil or any other pain killers if you are drinking regularly. Even a couple beers in combination with pain meds causes bleeding in the lining of the stomach.

Red_Chili
06-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Root, do NOT mess with your back. DAMHIK. (I keep saying that; obviously you ain't the only one with a case of stupid d00d). See the doc. Take care of it now while you can take care of it well.

treerootCO
06-11-2007, 02:02 PM
3:40pm...

Chris
06-11-2007, 02:13 PM
I went to a chiropractor once. I have been broken ever since. Parts that didn't pop and click before seem to on a daily basis now.

Always find someone other trust, I went to one for a few visits until he diagnosed disc/nerve issues and told me he couldn't help me. I then went to the doc who confirmed what he said was right on the money.

This guy spent time as the chiro for local athletes - Broncos, Aves, etc.

You know what they call the student who graduates at the bottom of his class?

Doctor! :rant:

Good luck tomorrow, remember to get a second & third opinion. Need someone good? Plenty of RS people who'll pass on a name.

:thumb:

RockRunner
06-11-2007, 04:26 PM
I have a great guy, studied in the orient and is a nice guy all around. Here is his info

Kurt F Breitenstein
1711 South Pearl St.
Denver 80210
303-744-2110

he got me walking again after I broke my neck and back, I used to get two sessions a week and then went down to one every three weeks. I believe he charges $75 a session with the first consult being a different charge.

I highly recommend him, I send two others his way and they both rave about him. Appointments are hard to come by but that is because he is good and very reasonble with his prices.

As for my back problems they are still there, I am looking into the Evocare clinic that uses a DRV9000 stretching machine. It is supposed to be great but insurance will not pay for it and the cost could go up to $10,000. Of course they have a great payment plan..........I'm sure they do :eek:

treerootCO
06-12-2007, 10:28 AM
The doc wasn't very concerned. Gave me some muscle relaxers and sent me home. I ordered an x-ray for piece of mind but I highly doubt they read it.

Red_Chili
06-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Tingly legs mean nerve damage. 2nd opinion called for. Don't screw with it, just ask my wife (who is OK now after disk reconstruction!). JMHO.