PDA

View Full Version : Removing everything....

acon40
06-09-2007, 08:14 AM
So I think I am going to gut the fj40 completely. How much work is it to remove the motor and all wiring ect etc. I plan to keep it as a rolling chassis so I will just be removing and tossing everything else. Have some days off coming and not sure how many days I should plan for this.

Jenny Cruiser
06-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Pulling the 80's engine/tranny/T-Case was a piece of cake. I did it myself by lifting the engine and rolling the 80 out from under it. It took me about 8 hours from start to finish. A second pair of hands/eyes would have been nice for sure. I'm super slow and waste a lot of time finding and keeping my tools together. :hill:

I could see someone who knows what they're doing, like UB, pulling a 40 engine in a couple hours or so.

subzali
06-09-2007, 09:38 PM
It's easiest if you take off the fenders, bib and hood, but not necessary. They come off pretty fast so keep track of your bolts. After that I know there's been debate as to whether it's easier to pull the engine/tranny/tcase all at the same time or whether to just remove the engine by itself. Either way there's not much, probably a good days work for a first time I would think.

acon40
06-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks guys, I am going to pull it all on one shot.

subzali
06-10-2007, 08:30 AM
In that case there's something in the back of my head that's saying it's easiest to pull the tranny hump so you have access to...something. I have never done an engine removal though.

MDH33
06-10-2007, 09:49 AM
I plan to keep it as a rolling chassis so I will just be removing and tossing everything else.

Please don't "toss" everything. There are a few of us that could use these old school parts and they are getting harder to find. Thanks. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
06-10-2007, 10:05 AM
So I think I am going to gut the fj40 completely. How much work is it to remove the motor and all wiring ect etc. I plan to keep it as a rolling chassis so I will just be removing and tossing everything else. Have some days off coming and not sure how many days I should plan for this.

Pull the bib, radiator/support, passenger side seat, tranny hump and shifter. Unhook the engine wiring, fuel line, exhaust, front motor mounts and clutch. Pull driveshafts, speedo cable, reverse light wiring, e-brake cable. Put floor jack under tranny and remove rear motor mount saddles. Pull engine, tranny and T-case as one unit very easily. 2-3 hours tops unless rusted bolts slow ya down.

acon40
06-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Oh don't worry, when I do it I will put it up for grabs for free in the intreast of getting rid of it.

farnhamstj
06-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Definatly pull motor and tranny/t-case at once. Give yourself enough room overhead if you are doing it in the garage. It's taller than you think. I pulled the wheels off and put axles on stands w/disk's an still hit the ceiling with the hoist. Have at least another set of hands also. People do it alone but I think that's dangerous.

PabloCruise
06-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Oh don't worry, when I do it I will put it up for grabs for free in the intreast of getting rid of it.

What year 40 are you gutting?

Rzeppa
06-13-2007, 08:58 PM
So I think I am going to gut the fj40 completely. How much work is it to remove the motor and all wiring ect etc. I plan to keep it as a rolling chassis so I will just be removing and tossing everything else. Have some days off coming and not sure how many days I should plan for this.From just about this time last year:

Link to my write-up (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1629)